DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Name suggestions for Feminine Rand

EpitomyofShyness

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which name would best suit a female version of Rand?

• Alex (defending warrior)
    • Bree (strength, power) (strong, virtuous, honorable)
    • Brin (hill)
    • Lena (light)
    • Rae (ewe)
    • Rhea (a flowing stream)
    • Tess (to reap, to gather)
    • Other (tell me the meaning)

So, I'm thinking about writing a story which will never be seen by the eyes of man, but none the less still writing it since the idea won't go away. A sort of 'what if' Rand had been born a girl.

I wanted to get peoples opinions on a name for the character. I can never seem to settle, and I figure maybe if I get some other fans views it will help me decide so I can actually start writing. There will be a poll, but please, please, feel free to suggest names not listed.

I've made it so you can choose more than one answer in case you are undecided like me. However I do request that you give a short blurb about why you like a name, or any particular names.

If you think a name you like would be better, which is not listed, select other, and please share that name with me. I might love it!

Now, I'm going into more detail about what I like or dislike about the names above;

Alex al'Thor

• Like - Meaning, Defending Warrior is certainly something the Dragon Reborn could be seen as.
  • Dislike - Commonality. Everyone and your next door neighbor is named Alex these days.

Bree al'Thor

• Like - Meaning, Bree is short for Brighid which means "Strength, Power." Alternately short for Briana which is the feminine of Brian which means "Strong, Virtuous, Honorable."
  • Dislike - Nothing really. It isn't too common a name.

Brin al'thor

• Like - I'm a bit meh about this one, but it is an option.
  • Dislike - The meaning isn't that spectacular.

Lena al'Thor

• Like - Lena al'Thor looks pretty nice and flows reasonably well. It is short for several names which mean Light, which is not a bad meaning for the Dragon Reborn either.
  • Dislike - It's actually the name of another character of mine from a totally different setting. Other than that nothing to dislike really.

Rae al'Thor

• Like - I like Rae, not the least because it starts with R.
  • Dislike - Meaning once again is not even slightly spectacular. I cannot think of something less like a sheep or lamb than the Dragon Reborn. Then again she would probably be a 'sheepherder' and a 'woolhead' by many characters terms...

Rhea al'Thor

• Like - Another nice R name.
  • Dislike - Meaning is even worse than the last. At least in my opinion.

Tess al'Thor

• Like - The meaning is pretty good, Dragon Reborn must 'gather the forces' for Tarmon Gai'don. Also with all the references about the Dragon being connected to the land 'to reap' isn't a bad meaning.
  • Dislike - Tess doesn't sound great. It isn't horrible but not great either.

Right now Bree, Lena, and Rae are really my favorites. How about you guys?

Have not voted.

May need to think of feminine equivalents for Lews Therin. Souls I take to be the same gender each life.

And possibly also masculine equivalents for their respective lovers. A homosexual savior might displease a portion of readers.

Have not voted.

May need to think of feminine equivalents for Lews Therin. Souls I take to be the same gender each life.

You are right, souls are the same gender in each life. She will be channeling Saidin, like Aran'gar. The soul still channels Saidin, however due to a supposed 'glitch' I guess, she's born a woman. Still with Lews Therin's soul though.

Honestly most people will probably never see this, although I did have some plans in regards to lovers and what not. Mostly in my head I'm curious to see where things might have gone different, how relationships and events may have developed differently. I've been trying hard to ignore this for years, but it won't go away, so I figure if I can settle on a name and start writing maybe the Lady Dragon will stop hijacking my other stories I want to write...

And possibly also masculine equivalents for their respective lovers. A homosexual savior might displease a portion of readers.

I don't care much what people think in regards to this. :tongue: I'd be writing it for myself.

I think that would have to be specified in the poll, since a female with the Dragon soul would channel saidin and that could possibly influence her personality. But the way I understand the poll it refers to a female equivalent which would not introduce any gender-confusing factors.

I cast two votes. One for Lena, which may be best. It sounds great, but I also like Rhea (and I think it's meaning is better than Rea). It would be interesting if saidar had been tainted instead and you took that angle, putting a different spin on the world.

Have not voted.

You are right, souls are the same gender in each life. She will be channeling Saidin, like Aran'gar. The soul still channels Saidin, however due to a supposed 'glitch' I guess, she's born a woman. Still with Lews Therin's soul though.

Honestly most people will probably never see this, although I did have some plans in regards to lovers and what not. Mostly in my head I'm curious to see where things might have gone different, how relationships and events may have developed differently. I've been trying hard to ignore this for years, but it won't go away, so I figure if I can settle on a name and start writing maybe the Lady Dragon will stop hijacking my other stories I want to write...

I don't care much what people think in regards to this. :tongue: I'd be writing it for myself.

So would this feminine dragon be interested in men or women? Or both?

So would this feminine dragon be interested in men or women? Or both?

Complicated? I don't see her ending up with Elayne, I see her being really good friends with Aviendha, with possibly Avi having confused feelings but FemRand not returning them, but I do see her ending up with Min, eventually. I haven't really settled on any men, cause the story won't be like, "Insert FemRand into each event that happened" because that is boring and not creative. I'll have to see where my brain takes me.

I cast two votes. One for Lena, which may be best. It sounds great, but I also like Rhea (and I think it's meaning is better than Rea). It would be interesting if saidar had been tainted instead and you took that angle, putting a different spin on the world.

Interesting comment. I've always considered the tainting of Saidin event to be somewhat analogous to Adam and Eve, but with the spin being that the fault falls on males in this version.

Interesting comment. I've always considered the tainting of Saidin event to be somewhat analogous to Adam and Eve, but with the spin being that the fault falls on males in this version.

I've always thought the drilling into the Dark One's prison was meant to analogous to Adam and Eve, with Lanfear in the role of Eve.

I've always thought the drilling into the Dark One's prison was meant to analogous to Adam and Eve, with Lanfear in the role of Eve.

Ahh... Of course. I wonder why I've never seen that before. That's why I love this place. It fits quite nice with the mythology of the AoL.

A soul could have the opposite body type - resulting in a seriously gender confused individual for a while till they got used to it. Witness the transgendered rebirth of the 2 forsaken
2? I recall just Arangar. I do not count (and have not counted) that as a rebirth.

She was not spun out.

Wans't it said that if in some age there was a need for a female Champion it would be Amaresu?

Something like that, though the details are unclear. But Amaresu is a seperate soul, whereas apparently here it's still LTT's soul just with a screw up that caused his reincarnation to be female instead of male. Which is impossible of course (so long as the DO stays out of it that is), but who cares.

Since I just now discovered that you actually specificed that she'd channel saidin (sorry about that), I'm wondering how you think that fact should influence her. I must admit that I'm a bit wary of making her a man trapped in a woman's body. I think it would be much more interesting if she was indeed a real girl for all purposes (whether she prefers girls or boys is irrelevant in that regard). Just because her "soul" is locked to saidin and by RJ's logic male, it doesn't need to influence her and in my opinion shouldn't... gender issues would take away from what could be a very interesting story (the saidin angle is quite genius... I can imagine the conflict with the White Tower and I don't think she would have it any easier than Rand :laugh:.  I think Min would be great to build such a character on, but you would probably make her personality a bit different if she in fact intends to romance Min. 

Since I just now discovered that you actually specificed that she'd channel saidin (sorry about that), I'm wondering how you think that fact should influence her. I must admit that I'm a bit wary of making her a man trapped in a woman's body. I think it would be much more interesting if she was indeed a real girl for all purposes (whether she prefers girls or boys is irrelevant in that regard). Just because her "soul" is locked to saidin and by RJ's logic male, it doesn't need to influence her and in my opinion shouldn't... gender issues would take away from what could be a very interesting story (the saidin angle is quite genius... I can imagine the conflict with the White Tower and I don't think she would have it any easier than Rand :laugh:.  I think Min would be great to build such a character on, but you would probably make her personality a bit different if she in fact intends to romance Min. 

I actually agree with you here. I didn't really plan on making the fact that technically speaking her soul is a mans soul, being the center piece of the story. I mean, c'mon, how would Moiraine react to discovering that one of the Emond's Fielders who tagged along, someone she never suspected of being the Dragon because it was a girl, can channel, clearly, but Moiraine can't feel it! Which of course would lead to the realization that this skinny redhead is the Dragon, woman or no. How's the tower going to react? Most likely with disbelief, then dawning horror. After all, women who can channel are already hated in many parts of the world, despite the fact that they don't go crazy and kill everyone around them. Now there is a woman who can channel saidin? And would anyone even believe she is the Dragon? Even if she gets Callandor? Not to mention the Aiel, after all their prophecies speak of a Chief of Chief's, not a Wise One of Wise Ones. And even then, she still channels Saidin, so that doesn't work anyways!

I just think there is so much that can be played with. I'm thinking of it as an alternate turning of the Wheel, where perhaps the Dark One takes a random stab at the pattern shortly before FemRand is conceived in an attempt to cause a ripple affect which may cause the child to be born blind or one thing or another, in an attempt to weaken the Dragon. Instead Rand is born a woman.

Moiraine wouldn't feel the saidin, no matter if it was channelled by boy or girl. Still, she wouldn't give a coin to Fem Rand, but it doesn't matter because the redhead girl will be wandering all over andor with Mat, who has the coin.

So, major realization of who the Dragon Reborn is comes at the Eend of tEotW, no differences. Yet, it would be much easier to hide the girl from the Black Ajah. So, I assume Perrin will get more "attention" due to the golden eyes.

As for the Aiel Prophesies, ther is no problem. We don't know what is the Aiel system for pronouns, so "He who comes with the dawn" may be just an incorrect translation of "The One who comes with the Dawn".

The only real problem I see is how to deal with Fem Rand vs. Egwene interactions. Just friends in the beginning, or pillow friends? Fem Rand being Eg's elder adopted sister sounds even better. Male Egwene is not an option (would never be elected for Amyrlin, nor even to be a novice maybe), so...? (What about Egwene being Mat's girlfriend - it would put additional tension on her fights with Seanchan :))

As for the main question about the name of Fem Rand: I didn't voted.

I would like it if you choose a name starting with R, though. In my opinion these are the best names for a girl. I'm also currently thinking about several "R" options for my future daughter (as I would like her to have the first letter of my mother's name). So, can I propose you an option:

"Rosa" is a nice name and in my native language means "morning dew"... Clearly fits with "coming with the dawn" :)

Keep on writing! I also used to write "covers" of my favourite stories and cartoons when I was young.

Archived