DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

We must be swift as a coursing river. . .

Visar Falmaien

(ooc: first step! arrive, team up, and race each other to the north harbor!)

Visar stretched his muscles in the pre-dawn hours. This was going to be a long few days. Of course, trainees had something to do with it, as always. It was always harder with trainees; you had to prove to them that they had something to learn from you, or they would ignore you and drift to other teachers.

And so the day dawned, and his victims of the day filtered in to receive some fitness training. There were about ten of them, a good average group for him. Some were faces he knew well, like Daniel, or Tris, or even the new Rekinu.

"Good morning, my scrawny little WarTs!" Visar began with a mischievous grin. Nobody knew what was in store for them today but him, and by the Light, that could be fun!

"Today I'm going to teach you how to be a man and shape up." Visar had once been as scrawny as some of them were, and shorter too than most of them. But the years of training hard and careful diet had made him stockier and much stronger.

"Normally I'd just tell you do do your exercises, your stretches, your sword work, and just do it over and over again. Use practice swords twice the weight you're used to; tie weighted bags to your arms and legs, that kind of thing. That's the way to do it in the long term, and most of you already know that."

Visar paused for that to sink into the slightly below intelligence of some of his trainees.

"But what's the fun of that?" He continued with a gesture. "You can do that on your own anyway, in your own time. Today, you're going to have to learn how to be strong together. Learn teamwork. If you're going to join the Tower Guard, you have to know how to act as one unit. One living, breathing entity with one will. And as a team, you need to know each other, know how to use your strengths and weaknesses. And so, you're going to work on that. Today, you'll split up into two teams of five and compete with each other!"

Visar waited for them to choose their own teams, before continuing. They each had packs with extra clothing, food and water, and pieces of rusty, heavy armor. But not all packs were quite equal in weight. The teams would have to figure out how to divvy up the loads.

"As our first real test, you all are going to have to get there first. So, as a warm up, I want you all to get your packs on, and run down to South Harbor! But as a team, you can't go faster than the slowest person among you. I'll meet you there."

Visar, who had run fast and for a long time for most of his life, took off running at a good pace. Not quite a sprint, but he could maintain it for thousands of paces before feeling winded. He wondered how the teams would fare, winding through the streets of the city as they sought the best way to the harbor. Would they find a way to help those who got tired more quickly? Or would they find some clever way to bend the rules, perhaps?

An hour and a half later, Visar arrived at the Harbor, sweat soaked into his tunic. He made sure the preparations for the next test were complete, and then he waited for which team would win.

One of the last ones to arrive today, Rekinu was ready for the day. He had woken up a little late, but he had scarfed his food down in record time, even for him, which was pretty amazing. It was early, and Rekinu could hear the birds calling in the morning air, roosting on the roof's around them.

Surprisingly, Visar started the lesson cheerfully. "Good morning, my scrawny little WarTs!" This cannot be good... Rekinu thought to himself. "Today I'm going to teach you how to be a man and shape up. Normally I'd just tell you do do your exercises, your stretches, your sword work, and just do it over and over again. Use practice swords twice the weight you're used to; tie weighted bags to your arms and legs, that kind of thing. That's the way to do it in the long term, and most of you already know that."

Rekinu thought about that. He was knew here, but he was accostomed to the rigors of workiing in adverse conditions, and being a bastard diffinately did you no favors. However, it was good to know what you were going to face, and right now, he was probably as clueless as Tris, the trainee next to him.

"But what's the fun of that? You can do that on your own anyway, in your own time. Today, you're going to have to learn how to be strong together. Learn teamwork. If you're going to join the Tower Guard, you have to know how to act as one unit. One living, breathing entity with one will. And as a team, you need to know each other, know how to use your strengths and weaknesses. And so, you're going to work on that. Today, you'll split up into two teams of five and compete with each other! As our first real test, you all are going to have to get there first. So, as a warm up, I want you all to get your packs on, and run down to South Harbor! But as a team, you can't go faster than the slowest person among you. I'll meet you there."

With that Visar took off, running down the road.

How odd, thought Rekinu, before shaking his head. If they were to win, this apparent competition, unity, and speed were best. Turning to the two trainees that he knew best, he said "Hey, Tris, Torvus, and Daniel, you guys want to be a team? The sooner we head out the better... Also, I do not know the city very well... anyone spent any time here outside of the Tower walls?"

walking over, he picks up a random bag, turns to the others with a grin. "Shall we?"

(ooc. If Torvous is not involved with this training session, i can take him out.)

Daniel arrived early to the yard. He saw all of the others arrive and sat leaning against one of the buildings enjoying the day. He noticed all the bags of gear lying around and wondered what was to come. As one of the last recruits arrived he took his place in the formation of men.

Visar Gaiden started with his usual greeting. "Good morning, my scrawny little WarTs! Today I'm going to teach you how to be a man and shape up. Normally I'd just tell you to do your exercises, your stretches, your sword work, and just do it over and over again. Use practice swords twice the weight you're used to; tie weighted bags to your arms and legs, that kind of thing. That's the way to do it in the long term, and most of you already know that."

Daniel wondered where this was heading. He was hoping that Visar Gaiden wasn’t going to force him to bulk up like a blacksmith or one of the mindless tower gaurds he had seen so often in the yards. He was strong and wiry and liked that. He didn’t want to get too big and loose his agility and speed. But if that was what it took to be a warden then so be it. His father was broad of shoulder he still was very lithe.

"But what's the fun of that? You can do that on your own anyway, in your own time. Today, you're going to have to learn how to be strong together. Learn teamwork. If you're going to join the Tower Guard, you have to know how to act as one unit. One living, breathing entity with one will. And as a team, you need to know each other, know how to use your strengths and weaknesses. And so, you're going to work on that. Today, you'll split up into two teams of five and compete with each other! As our first real test, you all are going to have to get there first. So, as a warm up, I want you all to get your packs on and run down to South Harbor! But as a team, you can't go faster than the slowest person among you. I'll meet you there."

As soon as Visar Gaiden finished speaking he ran off towards the south and Daniel looked between the other recruits. As he looked around at the other recruits Rekinu begin to say "Hey, Tris, Torvus, and Daniel, you guys want to be a team? The sooner we head out the better... Also, I do not know the city very well... anyone spent any time here outside of the Tower walls?" After he was finished speaking he walked over and picked up a bag and grinned at them and said "Shall we?"

Daniel walked over and checked the weight of the bags. He then picked up the heaviest of the remaining and said “If I remember correctly we can head almost straight to the south harbor. We can switch bags after a quarter of the way. That way we should all be as tired as the rest by the end. I’m ready when you guys are.”

• 2 weeks later...

(ooc: I usually don't mix my characters in the same thread, or there will be problems with the time continuum and such :P i guess no one else wanted to join up? do you guys mind if I move things along? apologies for the long wait)

Visar waited for a while for the running groups. What could be keeping them so long? Finally, one of them rolled in, and the other.

"We're going to have to work on your speed," he said to both of them, unimpressed. "And what better way to do that than work against the coursing Erinen? The current is fast, and the water is especially cold today," he said with a grin. "You'd best not fall in your you might drown or freeze! This'll be a perfect workout!"

Visar showed them the rowboats in their docks. A cold northerly wind blew down the river, hinting at winter to come. The sky was gray and the river had choppy waves. "In the same teams you were at, but the odd one out gets to steer the boat! Now, you both are going to row upriver against the current to North Harbor! Get to it! I'll meet you on the other side!"

Always one step ahead of them, Visar dashed off to their next destination, this time taking a jog up the circuit of the walls, which would give him a chance to watch the teams' progress as well as give them a chance to get there not too long after he got there. It took much longer to row upriver than it did downriver, especially close to the city, where the dredged channels to make the river navigable by ships, and the deep-cutting Shining Walls made for a very swift current and undertow near the island. And the bridges were especially bad. But the teams would discover that on their own.

(ooc I was waiting for the others to post, thought there were three of us... no matter... i think the boat will make Rekinu sick though... :wink: )

As they got to the docks Visar didn't look happy and even told them that the next trial would help them work on their speed.

Then Visar showed them the rowboats in their docks. A cold northerly wind blew down the river, hinting at winter to come. The sky was gray and the river had choppy waves. "In the same teams you were at, but the odd one out gets to steer the boat! Now, you both are going to row upriver against the current to North Harbor! Get to it! I'll meet you on the other side!"

As he finished, Rekinu's heart sank. Being from the Borderlands, there was little water, and in Shol Arbela there had been but one river. On top of that, Rekinu had never taken the opportunity to go on it. He was NOT looking forward to it. Hope I do not drown he muttered to himself, and he followed the others to the boats. The groups appeared to stay defined as they had been for the race here, and Rekinu followed Daniel to the boat on the right. Once inside he grabbed a stick of wood, swinging it side to side, commenting "Are we supposed to try to deal each other or something?" There was a snicker from the back, and Rekinu's cheeks burned in shame.

As the others got settled in, someone spoke It is an Oar. You put it in the water, to propel us forward. "ahh.. it helps move us... how odd..." just then, Rekinu's stomach felt the rolling of the boat in the choppy cold air careening down from the north. Cold was something Rekinu was used to, wet was a condition that he had met often. But this churning in his stomach? that was another altogether! Watching the others, Rekinu soon figured out how the oar was to be used, and he put his head down, trying to ignore the movement of the boat as best he could, stroking in time with the others.

Rekinu Alasayaar - about to be sick

As Daniel ran up to the docks Visar was sitting there waiting. He didnt look pleased about how long it took for them to arrive."We're going to have to work on your speed," he said "And what better way to do that than work against the coursing Erinen? The current is fast, and the water is especially cold today," he said with a grin. "You'd best not fall in your you might drown or freeze! This'll be a perfect workout!"

Daniel realised his mouth was wide open and he closed it quickly. Visar showed them the rowboats in their docks. "In the same teams you were at, but the odd one out gets to steer the boat! Now, you both are going to row upriver against the current to North Harbor! Get to it! I'll meet you on the other side!"

Daniel had been on boats a couple of times in his life and his father even insisted he learn to swim. But this was a rickity ole thing that would probably get capsized about halfway up the river and to make matters worse Rekinu apparently had never been on a boat. Well Daniel thought to himself "No use crying over spilled milk." he got in the boat and took a spot at the oars. "Hey Rekinu you steer I'll row." As he took his seat and picked up the oars Rekinu grabbed the rudder and they set out.

Daniel rowed with all his might and by the time he made it to his destination his arms felt like noodles. He sat on the edge of the docks and waited to hear what was coming next.

• 3 weeks later...

Visar followed the boats' progress as they crawled up the river. It was not too hard to keep up with them along the wall. It was a fierce day, and Visar almost felt sorry for the poor buggers down there. But it would teach them character and teamwork. Besides, if anyone fell into the Erinen, there were plenty of boats around to fish people out.

Thankfully, nobody capsized their boat and they both made it to safety at the other harbor. Visar made sure to arrive ahead of them, and greeted them with a smile.

"Not bad, if you were trying to race against a river turtle. They sort of go with the current anyway," he said with a mischievous grin. Some looked at him with anger, and rightly so: Visar had not been part of the boat crews and so they probably resented him for his relatively peaceful walk along the walls. Well at least they'd be focused on their next task, he hoped.

"What's our next task, you ask? Well, you all are going to help some builders with a construction project. You're going to be doing most of the grunt work, like carting rocks and stones here and there, but it's good for you as long as you keep your back straight and lift with your legs. What do you know, your legs probably aren't even very tired! Come on, let's move out together this time!"

They trotted down the street to the construction location, but halfway there, Visar met a guardsman on horseback who had a sense of urgency to him. He was headed for the Tower like an arrowbolt, but paused when he saw Visar in his cloak.

"What news, Guardsman?" asked Visar, curious. The guardsman glanced to the Tower, glanced back to him, and made up his mind.

"There's been a fire across the bridge! I'm to ask every able bodied man to run over to help stop it spread and put it out, or the entire town there might burn down!"

Visar's eyes widened. A fire! That was not a good thing at all! And it was already too out of control for the garrison there to help out. Well, there was no decision to be made.

"Come on, men, we're going to help put this fire out!" yelled Visar. "We'll head there, but be sure to find more help! And on horseback, too! And if you can find an Aes Sedai, get as many as you can!!!" said Visar to the Guardsman, who saluted and continued his way to the Tower. He mentally willed the urgency through the bond. Perhaps Rasheta Sedai would be available to come help.

"Come on, quickly, quickly!" Visar shouted, trying to egg on more adrenaline in his probably already tired group of trainees. "People's lives and homes are on the line here! We've got to move and protect them!"

They raced to the town outside the bridge, where they could already see thick smoke rising above the other side of the river. That was a big fire, thought Visar. Probably several buildings. The main city would be alright with the length of the bridges, which was a relief, but they still had to do something to isolate the fire and then put it out. The first step was most important.

When they ran over the bridge, Visar took his band of trainees directly to someone who looked like he was waving orders, which meant he was.

"What's the situation, Lieutenant?" Visar asked. While he might get some respect being a Warder, he knew that it would do no good to try to take charge when someone was already leading the show and doing well.

"Thank goodness more of you are here, and before I expected help to arrive!" said the Lieutenant, who looked completely deprived of sleep. "We've evacuated this section of the town already, but all the men and some of the women are helping with buckets of water. We have the entire bridge garrison and the town garrison trying to keep the flames from spreading further south and west, and an Aes Sedai is working miracles with each detachment, but if the wind shifts to from the northwest, the southeast edge will be exposed. We need people to do some preventative demolition and fireproofing. Axes, hammers, buckets of water to drench the roofs, whatever you need to keep it from spreading."

"Alright, we'll be hard at work on that," acknowledged Visar. He turned to his trainees.

"You heard him! You need to go find axes and hammers, and buckets, lots of buckets, and form a bucket line. We'll see if anyone along the way can help us, and then we'll make our stand in case the wind shifts this way."

The wind had been strong today, and unpredictable, so it would only be a matter of time before it shifted, Visar thought. They'd have to get ready soon!

Visar,

time for crisis mode!

Rekinu was so glad for them to arrive to the Docks. He was so queazy he had a hard time keeping his head up, to steer the boat, but he was able to keep it from capsizing.

"Not bad, if you were trying to race against a river turtle. They sort of go with the current anyway," Visar said to them. Rekinu just looked at him in a small haze. He was still trying to figure out how Visar had shown up so fast. Through the haze he heard Visar say something about their next task. Something to do with doing some menial tasks helping with some construction projects. O don't care what we do, as long as I can stay on the ground! Rekinu thought with fierceness... He had NOT liked the boating experience at all!

They followed Visar at a trot, and Rekinu's head started to clear from the haze that was clouding his every thought. After a few minutes, Rekinu heard someone riding their horse fast, who reared his horse back when he saw Visar, probably noting his warder's cloak, and the Tower pin on his shoulder.

"What news, Guardsman?" Visar said, and the guardsman glanced towards the Tower before looking back. He looked a little hesitant, but he finally made up his mind. "There's been a fire across the bridge! I'm to ask every able bodied man to run over to help stop it spread and put it out, or the entire town there might burn down!" he shouted.

Visar didn't even hesitate. Not bothering to turn to the trainee's behind him, he shouted orders, first to them, and then to the man on horseback; "Come on, men, we're going to help put this fire out! We will head there, but be sure to find more help! And on horseback, too! And if you can find an Aes Sedai, get as many as you can!!!" The Guardsman saluted before urging his horse to continue his way to the Tower.

"Come on, quickly, quickly!" Visar shouted to them again, Rekinu felt considerably better by now, and he was eager for this opportunity for them to help the townspeople. The next statement by Visar fueld him even more; "People's lives and homes are on the line here! We've got to move and protect them!"

Following the thick, evily black, smoke, they ran as fast as their legs could carry them. Thank the light that I am no longer last thought Rekinu with a little relief, before he pushed selfish thoughts out of the way, putting his mind to what was at hand.

Visar led them directly to a portly man who was directing other groups of villagers, doing their best, yet not quite being enough to contain the fire.

Amongst the rabble of shouts from the other helpers, and a couple of the trainees, Rekinu barely heard a reply by the portly man "Axes, hammers, buckets of water to drench the roofs, whatever you need to keep it from spreading."

Turning to them again, Visar barked orders. He was all business now, and you could tell he was a Warder... born and bread for trouble. "You heard him! You need to go find axes and hammers, and buckets, lots of buckets, and form a bucket line. We'll see if anyone along the way can help us, and then we'll make our stand in case the wind shifts this way."

Rekinu remembered a time when Shol Arbela had been in a similar situation, though that had been many years ago, and he had been too little to help. His mother had been alive then, and she had made him promise, on his honor, that he would stay where she put him, and so he had. However, he remembered a tactic that they had used that had saved the day.

As soon as Visar let them go, they scrambled on their way to their indicated section, and Rekinu with the others 'raided' a shop that was on-route, with the door opened in the owner's haste to leave as ordered. He was sure that the person wouldn't mind their stuff being used for such an important purpose.

As they arrived, Visar pointed, and they set to their work with vigor. While most of them started to hack at the outer portion of the building, Rekinu and a few others ran inside and they started grabbing all the personal objects they could. Running outside, they began to pile them on the outside of the chosen perimeter. One they were done, the rest of the building was quick to fall. They dragged the debris to the side, moving as much flammable things away from the fire. After two buildings, they were getting close to finishing their portion of the side, and Rekinu ran back to the river, gathering a few buckets that they had found in the houses they had emptied. Other people had seen the fire by now, and as they would in any similar emergency, they grabbed buckets and came to help. As the stood there, looking at the fire, Rekinu realized they needed to start putting out the fire, but as he searched for the portly man, or Visar to get them mobilized, he could see that both were too far away, and occupied with other things. Mother's milk in a cup he muttered to himself. Quickly he shouted at time "Create a line! Bring your buckets and start to fill them!" He filled his own, and rushed to the end of the fire, dousing a small section. Turning behind him, most of the people were fleshing out the fire, and so he handed the empty bucket to the man closest, and took his full one, turning to continue his work. When he turned around, the townspeople had filtered themselves out, and the extra people were forming another line closer to the middle of the fire. Working quickly, Rekinu made sure to douse anything that might be flammable near him, before advancing, with the line increasing with him.

He was getting dirty, but he loved being there to help the people, and he was pleased that his fire line was working well... of course it spoke of how well the townspeople worked more than of his own skills, but no matter.

Rekinu, smudged, but happy

Daniel got out of the boat and sat on the edge of the dock. His arms and legs felt like noodles. He could tell that Rekinu felt much like himself and wasnt keen on the boat ride but it was finally over and on to the next task. As he made it to the end of the dock he heard Visar explaining the next task.

Visar was telling the recruits that they were going to do menial task such as construction cleanup. As he was leading them to the site a horseman came up moving fast and rearing his horse. "What news, Guardsman?" Visar said, and the guardsman glanced towards the Tower before looking back. He looked a little hesitant, but he finally made up his mind. "There's been a fire across the bridge! I'm to ask every able bodied man to run over to help stop it spread and put it out, or the entire town there might burn down!" he shouted.

Visar didn't even hesitate. Not bothering to turn to the trainee's behind him, he shouted orders, first to them, and then to the man on horseback; "Come on, men, we're going to help put this fire out! We will head there, but be sure to find more help! And on horseback, too! And if you can find an Aes Sedai, get as many as you can!!!" The Guardsman saluted before urging his horse to continue his way to the Tower.

As the tower gaurd spoke Daniel felt life pour into him. There was no way he was going to let an entire village burn if he could help it. He summoned up his energy and started running after Visar towards the village. As they ran up it was chaos.

Daniel grabbed a large sledge hammer and begin to smash himself a fire break incase the flames headed this way. The others began to do other task. Daniel felt a sense of pride at helping others. he would be sure to donate gold to these people to help rebuild once they got this situation resolved.

OOc. i know its a small cheesy post but didnt wanna hold you guys up.

Edited by Otpelk Cainam

(ooc: I think we could wrap things up here with your next posts; good job!)

Visar noted with satisfaction that everyone around him was working hard and with a purpose. Even the townsfolk were coordinating their efforts admirably with the Guardsmen. It gave him satisfaction to know that in a crisis like this, everyone was working together.

The wind shifted, and some of the fires started to spread their way. But before it got to them, most places were secure and the flames slowly died out, unable to catch with the space between the buildings they had created on the ground, adn the water-drenched material that the flame could not catch on.

However, there were a few places here and there where the wind made the flames leap from rooftop to rooftop. Most of the roofs here were made of slate or stone, but there were some thatched, and those were the ones that usually caught in mere seconds.

"Quick! To that stable!" shouted Visar, and grabbed everyone close by to focus their efforts on each zone as quickly as possible. Once they fought the fire though, they had to find and tether the horses and cattle that had escaped in panic, left by their owners in the rush to evacuate.

----

What seemed like many hours later into the night, Visar wiped sweat and smoke off his brow and surveyed the damage with the trainees on a rooftop. He was completely exhausted, even with the Warder bond. He couldn't imagine how physically fatigued everyone else was, and they had worked just as hard as him.

The smoldering remains of the fire had all but died down. It had destroyed perhaps houses houses and stores and damaged many more, but it had only spread to a mere fraction of the town. They had done it. They had stopped the fire! He had already gotten continual reports from the reinforcements of Guardsmen and Aes Sedai who had relieved them, and were busy dousing remaining pockets and already repairing some of the establishments.

A Guardsman came up to Visar and related the current news before leaving just as swiftly. Visar decided to share them.

"Well men," Visar said wearily, "I'll tell you the bad news. Three dead that we know of; we're still searching for survivors in the rubble. A couple dozen people or so burned badly, but the Aes Sedai are seeing to them, and we're finding more survivors by the minute. Ten homes and businesses have been destroyed, and twice as many badly damaged." Visar paused, both for good effect and because talking was a great effort.

"Here's the good news. You men helped save the entire town from total destruction. The people that died, may the Light remember them and give them rest. But don't be disheartened about the lives that were lost or the homes that were destroyed. Think about how many lives we must have saved. Men, we must have saved thousands of people today! Good people; you saw how they all helped us fight the fires, putting their lives on the line too! And when you join the Tower Guard or become an Aes Sedai's Warder, well, thank the Light that for the most part it can be boring and uneventful. But even as trainees, you've just experienced what it means to serve Tar Valon today in one of the city's finest hours, and you have my respect for your efforts. Get some food and plenty of rest, trainees. And you have the week off of chores and training too, with my permission to leave town if you submit a request. You've earned it."

Visar saluted his exhausted band of trainees, and went down the ladder to the inn, where the innkeeper had given them free rooms and food and drink for the night for their efforts.

(ooc: so, yeah we can wrap up here, and if either of you wanted to do a trainee out-of-town RP with someone, I believe Rekinu already started one, I just gave an IC reason to help with that)

-Visar Falmaien,

likes happy endings.