DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

whats your favorite saying?

cancan4ever

im seriously considering getting a tattoo to commemorate 20 + years of living and breathing this series. i already have 4 all with secific special meaning in my life. I think i want the actual wheel symbol, with a saying from the books. the first 2 that come to mind for me are "the wheel weaves as the wheel wills" which would signify to me that life is in "fates" hands. and "its time to roll the dice" which i would have done in the old tongue obviously lol but would signify needing to take chances in life. but i was just wondering what everyone elses favorite sayings are in the books and perhaps why its your favorite. maybe reading others will inspire me to get a different phrase :)

My favourite is probably 'sa sovraya, niende misain ye' [not sure if I got the spelling right, running off memory, though you could probably google it (I can't at work). It means 'I am lost within my own mind'.]

I do also like 'it's time to toss the dice', or 'luck is a horse to ride like any other', both of which have old tongue translations.

Yea "It's time to toss the dice" is one of my favorites.

Another is "Carai an manshimaya ayend'an!" - Honor of my blade for the fallen!

which would signify to me that life is in "fates" hands

Also I noticed something with what you said here

and..

would signify needing to take chances in life

Wouldn't needing to take chances say that life is not actually in fates hands, but that we control our own destiny. I'm not critizing, merely speculating.

I don't particularly like the Seafolk and wouldn't want it for a tattoo, but when I want to give my kids a noncommittal answer

"If it please the Light, all will be well.

All will be well and all will be well and all manner of thing will be well,

if it please the Light."

That shuts them up.

:smile:

Good stuff here no doubt.

For me, the absolute most powerful thing said in the entire series though is, "You may call me Rand Sadai." When taken from the book as a whole it is the most important statement made. Nothing even comes close. But the things said here, especially sleep well and wake are really cool.

I don't particularly like the Seafolk and wouldn't want it for a tattoo, but when I want to give my kids a noncommittal answer

if it please the Light."

That shuts them up.

It sounds as if you are a believer of the old saying "Children should be seen and not heard."

im gonna reply to the speculation even if it doesnt belong here lol. maybe it belongs in some mat theory thread lol. i dont believe for one second that mats "luck" is random nor really about taking chances. he was the last to accept being taveren, last to get his "superpower", the most reluctant of the 3.if you tell mat he HAS to be somewhere at a certain time he will buck against it. but if he THINKS he has a choice, an option.......the dice, the coin flips, are just the patterns way of making him THINK he has a choice. but he really doesnt. every dice roll every flip of the coin has been the patterns weave pushing him where he needs to go yet not making him feel strangled by his own thread.. the same can be said of real life....follow me??? lol

and my closing thought which from this second on will always be my ending thought..this turning is different there CAN be an end to the turning of the wheel of time. thats my theory and im stickin to it :)

i busted out my big white book and im thinking the wheel symbol minus the spear, with the symbols for saidar and saidin on the 4 corners, and the banner saying its time to toss the dice inthe old tongue...but then i MUST learn how to pronounce it properly lol. originally i was thinking my left inner wrist...so that every time i read another book im reminded that i read because of the Wheel of Time....but now im thinking bigger and maybe my shoulder to offset a tat i already have on my right shoulder that is interstingly enough a circular almost wheel like vine of roses....haha

Might be a little long but this has always struck a cord with me

“Til shade is gone,

til water is gone

Into the shadow with teeth bared

Screaming defiance with the last breath

To spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the Last Day.”

That one.

if it please the Light."

That shuts them up.

It sounds as if you are a believer of the old saying "Children should be seen and not heard."

When they insist on nagging incessantly, I'd rather not see them either. :wink:

Archived