DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First night, first friend. (Attn Christine)

Disendra

Livid was probably the most accurate description of Disendra’s feelings. Unceremoniously plucked from her wagon by an abrupt and domineering Aes Sedai, stuffed into her hideous white dress with just as much ceremony and curtly informed that she BELONGED to the Tower. “Like some bloody possession that they want. Like one of their bloody precious ter’angreal.â€

She was currently stalking along the corridors of the Tower, almost at random, searching for the infirmary. “Like they expect me to be able to sleep on my first night as,†she put on a stern, Aes Sedai voice dripping with the contempt that seethed inside of her, “a novice of the White Tower.â€

Stopping abruptly at the junction of two corridors, she glared down the three routes. Luckily (or perhaps unluckily for the poor girl in question), a younger novice was scurrying towards her. “You!†Disendra called out rudely, “Where’s the bloody infirmary?†Startled, the novice looked up at Disendra before scowling right back at her.

“You better not let one of the Aes Sedai catch you talking like that. They’ll have your mouthed washed out with soap faster than you can blink. And as for the infirmary, it’s down there.†the novice gestured down one of the corridors before pushing past Disendra with a huff.

“Well, I suppose that was a bit nasty,†Disendra sighed regretfully to herself, “It’s not her fault these bloody women can’t leave honest traders to get on with their lives.†Shaking her head, Disendra hurried on down the corridor the novice had indicated.

She found the infirmary without any further problems and, before she went in, she resolved to herself that this out-of-character bitterness was done with. “It’s no use fighting what can’t be helped. The Light knows that these Aes Sedai are renowned for getting their own way.â€

Pushing open the door to the infirmary, Disendra strode in confidently and cannoned into yet another girl in white. Taking a grip of herself, Disendra decided to make amends with this novice, for the attitude she had given the other. “Oh, hi there. Sorry. The Light knows I didn’t mean to mow you down like that.†Helping the girl to her feet, Disendra stifled the gasp at seeing the scars the girl possessed. “Oh my poor girl.†Disendra immediately felt moved for the young novice and the anger of the day melted in a wave of sympathy. “How on earth did that happen to you?â€

• 3 weeks later...

Slipping into the infirmary, Elizabeth saw Nynaeve. “I will be right with you, Elizabeth. Just take a seat and I can glance at those scars. And then we need to discuss your chore.†Elizabeth sighed and nodded, wishing that the Aes Sedai had forgotten. Light, how could anyone forget? It wasn’t just every day that a girl went running around the tower in naught but a sheet and was screaming about knives and rape. It is an even worse affair when she ends up in the arms of a Tower Guard and refuses to apologise, even when the consequences are harsh for not following a command. Thank the light that Nynaeve Sedai had taken her under tow and was giving her a punishment that would fit the crime. Even better, her three weeks, a whole thirty days, working in the kitchens had been cut down to one because of Elizabeth’s fear of the knives. Aye, she would have to serve her chore here in the infirmary as well, but at least there was no men wielding knives.

Taking a seat at the area she was pointed to, Elizabeth pulled her hair down from the tie she had been forced to wear it in and hid behind the stringy curls that she called her hair. A few women walked by, all Aes Sedai, and she saw two of them walk up the stairs. One was Lwena Sedai, a very old Sister of the Yellows, and the other was Cavana Sedai, a Sitter for the Yellow Ajah. The two had their heads together and Elizabeth tried to listen in to their conversation. As they walked up the stairs, Cavana turned around and said, “Child, if you wish to spy on Aes Sedai, you may wish to find your hands busy so that it is thought your mind is busy too.â€

In shock, Elizabeth nodded her head and Lwena Sedai smiled at her before going up the stairs more and glancing back to Cavana, wondering if she would follow. Cavana nodded to her sister then walked back down the stairs to the girl. “You are Nynaeve’s girl, are you not?†Elizabeth assumed it was a light way to put what she had done, and she nodded her head, whispering, “Yes, Aes Sedai.†Cavana Sedai nodded her head and rested her fingers under the girls chin and turned her face to look up at her. Elizabeth tried to pull away but knew better and closed her eyes, afraid to feel the cold threads of Healing again. “The scars on your skin will heal child, but you must remember to let your heart heal as well…†Elizabeth opened up her eyes in surprise and saw Cavana Sedai walking up the stairs already. Secretly wondering more about the woman, she rose from her chair and went as if to follow, but stopped and turned around at the last minute, ready to return to her chair.

A girl walked up and bumped into Elizabeth, and a small scream left Elizabeth’s mouth. She saw it was just another novice, but she flinched away just the same, then noticing she was on the floor. Had the girl pushed her that hard? Had Elizabeth been that far in her thoughts? Well, no matter, she should take the girls hand and probably try to listen to what the girl had to say. Taking her hand, Elizabeth heard a gasp and tried to make certain her scar wasnt visible. Of course, it was. “Oh my poor girl.†Oh light, not more pity. “How on earth did that happen to you?â€

Looking for anyway out, Elizabeth tried to pull away from the novice and found the grip on wrist to be strong. â€Elizabeth? I’m ready for you.†Elizabeth thanked the light for Nynaeve Sedai and looked at the novice apologetically. “Excuse me, the Aes Sedai calls,†she whispered softly, then ran to the Aes Sedai, ready to hide behind her from the energetic girl. “Ok, let’s go,†she whispered, her body hidden behind Nynaeve’s back.

Shanara wandered into the Infirmary; she had not even realized where her feet had been taking her, she was so tired.

A new Novice stood imperiously in the centre of the floor, glaring at anything and everything, including the mouse-like Novice Elizabeth, as Shanara had found out the crazy girl was called.

She felt only pity for the poor thing, especially after having heard the girl's story from another Novice that morning.

"Hello there, I'm Shanara... what's your name?" she asked the new girl, smiling in what she hoped was a cheerful and inviting manner.

OOC: Feel free to burn poor Shan... hehe

"Hello there, I'm Shanara... what's your name?"

Disendra barely heard the vivacious greeting, so distracted as she was by staring after the novice who was busy trying to hide herself from view. How on earth could something like that happen?

A slight shift from the novice stood before her, brought Disendra back to reality with a start. "Oh, sorry. I'm Disendra..... Shanara wasn't it???"

A smile from the girl told her she must have got it right. "How long have you been a novice here Shanara?" Unbidden, Disendra's eyes drifted back to the novice she had knocked down. Her brows drew down in thought. Where have I seen scars like that before......?

"Shanara! I don't suppose you happen to know who that girl is do you?"

ooc: I'll get to the burning in a bit! hehe

"She's... I've seen her around a few times... she's had some really bad stuff happen to her... her name's Elizabeth. If it were up to me I'd tell you to stay away from her- she does not appear to enjoy being around too many people- and I don't know which way she'd react to you. However, I could be completely wrong and have read her wrong- I'm really not sure. She's a bit of a mystery- we-all are pretty sure she's a Novice, but she lives hre, in the Infirmary," Shanara finished, holding the other woman in a level gaze.

"She truly does not seem to be one who associates easily... give her some time to warm up to you before you start trying to be friendly," she said.

Disendra returned Shanara's level gaze with an appraising look of her own. She can't possibly be more than 17 ... What is it they teach here that lets someone so young read people so well?

"Thanks for the advice, Shanara." Disendra impulsively wrapped an arm around the short girl's shoulders and steered her across to some chairs. Settling down, Disendra decided to be a bit nosy. "So what's your story then?" She asked with a smile, "How did you end up stuck here?"

"Well... it's sort of long, but I started out apprenticed to my father, a blacksmith in Mayene. I left there and began to travel a little over a year and six months ago. I came across an old man trying to defend himself against all odds, and out of some stupid... actually, I don't know why I did it- I jumped on the back of one of the men who were fighting the man, and, er, sort of knocked him out... and then I threw a brick at one of the other ones and it just sort of spiraled down from there... but the last person the old guy... dispatched... stabbed him, and he gave me his sword with his last breath," she paused for a second.

"It sounds very dramatic... and silly, I know, but that's not all. I found out why those men had been attacking the old guy- the sword was heron marked. I had no idea how to use it and almost every day someone would try to steal it. After a while, a really mean one with unfortunately sexy muscles decided to try to hang me. An Aes Sedai was passing through... I owe her my life, of course, but then she tested me and I passed," Shanara said.

"And so I came here. To the Land of Chores and White Dresses. What about you?"

Throughout the story, Disendra got the impression that Shanara was leaving bits out. What is it she's trying to hide? "Wow, that really does sound dramatic!" Disendra murmered in surprise, "So much more than my entrance anyway! This is actually my first night here. I'm a trader from Tear. This was suppossed to be my first long-distnce trading venture. I came to Tar Valon looking to trade some good quality silk i'd managed to pick up in Tear and, instead, found myself being harrangued by a few drunks. It ws an Aes Sedai that came to my rescue too." Disendra mused about this briefly. "In a manner of speaking. Being a novice is certainly not something I had in mind!"

Disendra looked round the infirmary, "So is there someone in here that can sort em out with a brew or something to help me sleep, do you know?"

"Well, a sister of the Yellow Ajah might be able to do that with her herbs... I'm sure that the Sisters who man the Infirmary here can. There'll probably be one by in a few minutes to check on everything... it was really good to meet you Disendra! Hope you have good luck here at the Tower," Shanara grinned.

"Unfortunately, my studies await... I have some music theory that needs doing and some studying to do for my class on herblore. I hope I'll see you around sometime soon!"

As she exited the Infirmary, Shanara couldn't help but wonder. It really sounded like Disendra, nice as she was, was hiding something. Oh well, Shanara consoled herself, nearly back at her quarters. I'm sure I'll learn of whatever it is eventually... after all there are things that I hide as well.

Disendra watched Shanara leave the infirmary thinking what the gaps in her story might have been filled with. Started back to the present moment, she realised that her mind had finally become as exhausted as her body was. With a final look towards where the scarred novice had gone, Disendra also left the infirmary, intent on finding her way back to her room to settle down for her first night. I'm sure i'll run into her agan, and then I can have a proper talk with her. Disendra felt sure that the girl had plenty of things locked away inside that she needed to talk about. "And that's something i've always been good for," she whispered to herself, "this shoulder has seen lots of tears, a few more certainly won't matter."

Sighing sleepily, Disendra wound her way back through the corridors of the Tower, musing idly about what the next day might bring.