DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hemaphrodite Channeler

Andhaira

This thought have actually crossed my mind... I think you (or your soul) are predetermined to one of them - and as an extention of that you are predetermined to a gender as well.

The case of Aran'gar proves this in my opinion since (s)he could not sense saidar despite a new female body. Someone with ambiguous gender characteristics would then still be predestined to channel either saidin or saidar. Transgender people who feel for every purpose as a different gender than their body - would also be stuck to one of them. I'm guessing in the latter case its the one that matches the body since there seems to be no stories or legends about women channeling saidin and the other way around. If the DO then moves your soul to a new body your connection still remains.

I have not yet heard any criticism of RJ magic system based on that, but I could imagine it - since some probably would have a problem with the predeterminition, there are after all ambiguous cases when it comes to gender.

A hermaphrodite channeler would obviously possess both the dexterity of the women and the strength of the men. He/she would also be able to channel btoh saidin and saidar at will. In fact, if Aginor had been sane, he would have turned his talents to creating hermaphrodites, which is relatively speaking much easier than weird human-animal hybrids. .

Guest Emu on the Loose

Ultimately, it would have been RJ's call, but I'm much more comfortable with the possibility that he simply never considered the scenario of transfolk channelers than I am with the possibility that he wrote a universe where transfolk don't exist.

As a left-hander, I hate it when "my people" are almost completely absent from books (or are otherwise usually cast in the role of villains), and I don't need to use my imagination to know that, given how little active discrimination against left-handed people there is in the U.S. today, it must be a lot more frustrating and alienating to transfolk to be presented with a proposition like "your kind doesn't exist in my universe," given how much real-world crap they have to put up with. It would be even all the worse for someone who really likes WoT and has a lot of emotional investment in the story.

My own speculation is that many transfolk would either be able to touch both halves of the True Source, or neither half, while others would only be able to touch one half. In other words, I think it would probably vary from individual to individual, given the many different kinds of sex chromosome abnormalities and sex phenotype affiliations there are.

As far as I know this is all we have on it...

And another tidbit that I meant to mention, but neglected. Someone actually asked Jordan whether a hermaphrodite would channel Saidin or Saidar. Jordan was... non-plussed. "A hermaphrodite?! I dunno. I'd have to sit down and figure that out." He shot the guy a funny look as he walked away, then remarked to the next group of people in line that he put that in the same category as the person who wrote to ask him what Donald

Duck would channel.

And another tidbit that I meant to mention, but neglected. Someone actually asked Jordan whether a hermaphrodite would channel Saidin or Saidar. Jordan was... non-plussed. "A hermaphrodite?! I dunno. I'd have to sit down and figure that out." He shot the guy a funny look as he walked away, then remarked to the next group of people in line that he put that in the same category as the person who wrote to ask him what Donald

Duck would channel.

Is this a joke or some guy really asked RJ this question?

Duck would channel.

Is this a joke or some guy really asked RJ this question?

No joke that's a real question that was answered in Q&A...pulled it off "Thus Spake the Creator" though and I know people don't like relying on that as it's often unsourced and paraphrased.

I'm still not convinced that it's impossible for a person to touch both saidin and saidar. They just have to figure out how.

Cross balefires with someone of the opposite gender?

Surely, all they'd have to do is link, as Rand did with Nynaeve in the Cleansing.

But that involves two seperate people!

Ultimately, it would have been RJ's call, but I'm much more comfortable with the possibility that he simply never considered the scenario of transfolk channelers than I am with the possibility that he wrote a universe where transfolk don't exist.

As a left-hander, I hate it when "my people" are almost completely absent from books (or are otherwise usually cast in the role of villains), and I don't need to use my imagination to know that, given how little active discrimination against left-handed people there is in the U.S. today, it must be a lot more frustrating and alienating to transfolk to be presented with a proposition like "your kind doesn't exist in my universe," given how much real-world crap they have to put up with. It would be even all the worse for someone who really likes WoT and has a lot of emotional investment in the story.

My own speculation is that many transfolk would either be able to touch both halves of the True Source, or neither half, while others would only be able to touch one half. In other words, I think it would probably vary from individual to individual, given the many different kinds of sex chromosome abnormalities and sex phenotype affiliations there are.

Southpaws represent! It broke my heart when Nintendo made Link right handed when they released the first Zelda game for the Wii, because they figured most of their audience was right handed and it made more sense to have him be with the motion controls.

I'm still not convinced that it's impossible for a person to touch both saidin and saidar. They just have to figure out how.

Surely, all they'd have to do is link, as Rand did with Nynaeve in the Cleansing.

But they could both touch both halves of the Power.

Southpaws represent! It broke my heart when Nintendo made Link right handed when they released the first Zelda game for the Wii, because they figured most of their audience was right handed and it made more sense to have him be with the motion controls.

Never mind lefties, what about Aspies?? When do we get a look in? It's pure discrimination, that's what it is. :wacko:

But they could both touch both halves of the Power.

They're not actually touching both sides of the Power though, just using both. The one who's touching saidin/saidar is the man/woman they're linked with. This is nothing special or unusual. A person who can do completely independently without being linked to anyone on the other hand...

Never mind lefties, what about Aspies?? When do we get a look in? It's pure discrimination, that's what it is. :wacko:

What about left handed Aspies? They always get overlooked.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Let me guess. You've been watching 'Yes Minister'.. well, not Aspies, but something about black Jewish lesbians in wheelchairs, or some such! (I mean no offence to anyone in any part of that group.. You'd have to see the programme to appreciate that Sir Humphrey was being very heavily ironic about tokenism.)

Archived