DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite book in the WoT series thru Book 12: Also Book 12 is AMAZING!

brujah

Which book in the WoT series is the best/your favorite up thru Book 12?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which book in the WoT series is the best/your favorite up thru Book 12?

• Book 1: The Eye of the World
    • Book 2: The Great Hunt
    • Book 3: The Dragon Reborn
    • Book 4: The Shadow Rising
    • Book 5: The Fires of Heaven
    • Book 6: The Lord of Chaos
    • Book 7: A Crown of Swords
    • Book 8: A Path of Daggers
    • Book 9: Winters Heart
    • Book 10: Crossroads of Twilight
    • Book 11: Knife of Dreams
    • Book 12: Gathering Storm

EDIT: I posted before I was done. I also wanted to discuss Rand's new personality. I'm not sure I'm liking it. I mean I get that we're supposed to find him becoming very unlikable, but I cant say that I'm not hoping he doesn't hurry up and GET WELL. It is an interesting storyline, though. I get how touching the True Source to escape that male adam is and WOULD change him. I'm guessing touching something so entirely evil cant go without its consequences, but I hope it wraps up soon. I miss the GOOD Rand.

. . . I thought you said you finished it? Rand's getting crazier and crazier from the pressures of his role and everything else around him, and then when he's offered and uses the True Power that adds another level of evil inside of him, and things get worse and worse, and he gets harder and harder. This has all been building since book 2. And if you finished TGS, which you said you did, then you should know what happened...

He said in the first post he is about a third done.

And then he said in his last post, the one I quoted from:

Holy Shit. I quoted those of you that mentioned book 12 as fav. DAMN. YOU. ARE. RIGHT. I was about half way thru last night, but I finished it. I couldnt put it down. I mean it was already HELLA good. I even posted a thread JUST on how good Book 12 was going. But DAMN. It's really really good.

So he finished it.

EDIT: I posted before I was done. I also wanted to discuss Rand's new personality. I'm not sure I'm liking it. I mean I get that we're supposed to find him becoming very unlikable, but I cant say that I'm not hoping he doesn't hurry up and GET WELL. It is an interesting storyline, though. I get how touching the True Source to escape that male adam is and WOULD change him. I'm guessing touching something so entirely evil cant go without its consequences, but I hope it wraps up soon. I miss the GOOD Rand.

. . . I thought you said you finished it? Rand's getting crazier and crazier from the pressures of his role and everything else around him, and then when he's offered and uses the True Power that adds another level of evil inside of him, and things get worse and worse, and he gets harder and harder. This has all been building since book 2. And if you finished TGS, which you said you did, then you should know what happened...

Holy Shit. I quoted those of you that mentioned book 12 as fav. DAMN. YOU. ARE. RIGHT. I was about half way thru last night, but I finished it. I couldnt put it down. I mean it was already HELLA good. I even posted a thread JUST on how good Book 12 was going. But DAMN. It's really really good.

So he finished it.

You're right, that does make the comment a bit strange then huh...

So he finished it.

You're right, that does make the comment a bit strange then huh...

Sorry for the confusion. At some point in the thread I was about a 3rd or halfway thru. Then after I finished I Edited some posts that I had made earlier. Crossed text from the different times using multi-quote. But yeah, the book blew me away. I guess I got my wish about Rand, cuz Im assuming he's refound his way with the whole "second chance" revelation. But the prophecy reffering to him being "blind" isnt being literal is it? He didnt blind himself with so much of the One Power atop the Dragonmount did he. It would be so Neo in Matrix 3 if he does.

Also, Egwene is kind of a baddass, eh? I never really cared much for her. And Ill have to admit that I did overlook some of her better qualities from the earlier books up until I did the reread. I'd forgot how the Wise Ones viewed her so positively when she first came to them to learn the dream world, and how they'd complimented her to Ahvienda, etc...But after the White Tower battle scene, and then the whole pain endurance and reuniting the White Tower, I have to give her credit. And thats quite alot from me because I dont usually elevate the female characters very often. Must be a sex thing, but I generally overlook them. But I was impressed.

The eye of the world.

If it wasn't great none of us would e here.

Still my fav to this day.Epic opening,stellar writing and great restraint{severely lacking in the following books}.

I could go either way between The Eye of the World, The Shadow Rising, and The Gathering Storm.

The Eye of the World, I just think is the perfect first book. I really like how RJ started out keeping the series simple, with one plot line for the majority of the book and only a few POVs. I definitely prefer that over throwing someone right into the middle of the action with a bunch of POVs and plot threads that some fantasy authors like to do.

TSR and TGS are just great books with a lot of quality plot threads.

The Eye of the World is the perfect opening book. I think the first 5 books, like Ive said before, are beyond awesome. And just because I chose one over the other doesnt take away from any of them. The margin is very thin. Thin like Dick Cheney's hair-line.

Anyone ever noticed the picture of Robert Jordan in the back of the later books where he's wearing the black "Mat Cauthon" hat? Or does Mat where the "Robert Jordan" hat. Seeing that picture again makes me think that Jordan must of saw the most of himself in Mat. Im thinking that Mat was his guy. You know how authors can put alot of themselves into one of their characters. Well, he WAS a military minded man. The Citadel in South Carolina is, of course, a military school. So the knowledge of wars was given to Mat. The gambling. The Hat. The WOMEN? Sorry Mrs Jordan. I myself have named Mat my favorite character on many threads here, so I can relate. GG Mr Jordan. I hope he's up there in whatever version of Heavan he's in, smoking a pipe of Two Rivers tabac, hat cocked to the side, blocking out the artificial light from his eyes as he tosses a pair of golden dice across a brilliant white floor, smiling as an army of onlookers made up from the masses of like-minded souls sit about waiting for the dice to come to a stop, all of them knowing how they'll land.

Snake Eyes.

See you there myself one day. I'll bring my own dice, though.

Sorry for the confusion. At some point in the thread I was about a 3rd or halfway thru. Then after I finished I Edited some posts that I had made earlier. Crossed text from the different times using multi-quote. But yeah, the book blew me away. I guess I got my wish about Rand, cuz Im assuming he's refound his way with the whole "second chance" revelation. But the prophecy reffering to him being "blind" isnt being literal is it? He didnt blind himself with so much of the One Power atop the Dragonmount did he. It would be so Neo in Matrix 3 if he does.

Well the fact that he looks up at the end of TGS and sees the blue sky kinda already answers that as just being figurative. The quote is:

And at its center,

the blind man shall stand upon his own grave.

There he shall see again,

and weep for what has been wrought.

So Rand WAS the blind man standing on his own grave, but now he sees again and will weep for what he's wrought.

But you can just read ToM now and that'll all be clearly answered.

I voted for tSR for me its the book were the TR Ta'verens grow up and come into their own. Perrins forging the TR into a fighting force was spinetingling,it changed the way I thought about him as in the first 3 books I thought he was a bit dull.

Mat(my fav) gets his battle knowlage but, only plays a bit part.

Rand comes of age in SR in previous books he keeps getting pulled from pillar to post, but in SR he makes a plan and carries through and in the end is victorious. And what a ending! Rand makes it rain in the waste among a host of Aiel, fights a forsaken and we see the most powerfull sa'angreal ever made in all its destructive glory, as it devastates a city.

For me the best of the lot with KoD a close second

Archived