DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite book in the WoT series thru Book 12: Also Book 12 is AMAZING!

brujah

Which book in the WoT series is the best/your favorite up thru Book 12?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which book in the WoT series is the best/your favorite up thru Book 12?

• Book 1: The Eye of the World
    • Book 2: The Great Hunt
    • Book 3: The Dragon Reborn
    • Book 4: The Shadow Rising
    • Book 5: The Fires of Heaven
    • Book 6: The Lord of Chaos
    • Book 7: A Crown of Swords
    • Book 8: A Path of Daggers
    • Book 9: Winters Heart
    • Book 10: Crossroads of Twilight
    • Book 11: Knife of Dreams
    • Book 12: Gathering Storm

I'm about a third into Book 12: Gathering Storm and I havent been able to put it down from start to finish. Its, IMO, much better than Book 11, which Ive just finished, and seems to be one of the best. And to be honest, I'm not sure why. Oh well. What do you guys think?

And Im not comparing these books on their writing styles by any means. In fact Im totally taking that OUT of the equation. I'm just going solely on whats actually happening in the story. Maybe part of it is because the whole rescuing Faile thing is over, which SUCKED. But things finally seem to be drawing together.

Papa Like.

Not many responses, which is fine, but not many have participated in the poll, either. If you can, please choose one real quick. I'm very interested in the outcome. I find it very hard to choose, actually, and I finally went with The Shadow Rising, but only AFTER I had added a 13th option: "Too hard to choose." Then backed off from that because that doesnt really answer my curiosity.

So assume you're forced to choose one of the first 12(Ive only read to about half thru book 12) please. Only takes the flick of your mouse.

EDIT: Also i'd be EXTREMELY interested in having anyone that votes to post something that backs up why they chose that book, but Im not pressing my luck. I'd settle for around 20 - 30 votes, so I can get a proper poll. But if you dont mind, tell me why you chose that book.

EDIT: I chose The Shadow Rising because of two of my favorite scenes. One is Rands scene in Tear where he faces Forsaken, and kills two, along with Moraine's help. And then decimates the Trollocs all at once with Callandor. But even moreso because one of the best scenes is when Mat enters the doorway ter'angreal similar to the one he entered in Tear, and gets the spear, medallion, and battle knowledge. It's actually really hard to choose from them.

I voted Lord of Chaos solely due to Dumai's Wells.

"Kneel before the Dragon Reborn or you will be knelt."

Most epic line of any book in any series ever.

Towers of Midnight is one of my favorites too due to Nyn giving Rand a hug. It's about time our original cast started showing one another a few human emotions. Plus, Mat was epic in that one. Mainly due to someone finally standing up to Elayne.

You'd probably have better luck getting votes and responses in the General Wheel of Time Discussion board than here.

I voted for KoD, mainly for sentimental reasons and the fact that I think the book kicks ass. Obviously it's the last book RJ completed which means a lot to me. It also is full of revelations we'd been waiting years for. We get Mat and Tuon's marriage, Perrin's war on the Shiado (which I think is brilliant), Ituralde fighting the Seanchan, the return of trollocs and myrddraal finally, the forsaken are actually doing something, the DO is messing with the pattern on a larger scale the he has before, war in Caemlyn, wrap up the Black Ajah sisters plot (for the most part), Moiraine's letter, Egwene in the Tower beginning her take over, and probably my favorite scene of the whole series "Besides, you must remember the old saying: Let the Lord of Chaos rule." Still sends shivers down my spine.

Edit: That being said I love all of them, and if I'm reading the books my favorite is which ever one I'm on. Choosing Wot books to me is like picking a favorite child.

I find it really hard to choose, partly before they all sort of blend together for me so I'm not precisely sure what happens in which book. But I chose KoD. Firstly, because it wraps up so many plot lines (Faile's captivity, Elayne's fight for the throne, Mat and Tuon). But mainly because of the number of chill-down-the-spine moments. The Ogiers' battle cry. Nynaeve's "Will he ride alone?" and the "Golden Crane flies". Logain's "Weep if you must, but weep on the march to Tarmon Gai'don". Taim's "Let the lord of chaos rule".

You'd probably have better luck getting votes and responses in the General Wheel of Time Discussion board than here.

If someone wants to move it? Sure, why not.

I voted for KoD, mainly for sentimental reasons and the fact that I think the book kicks ass. Obviously it's the last book RJ completed which means a lot to me. It also is full of revelations we'd been waiting years for. We get Mat and Tuon's marriage, Perrin's war on the Shiado (which I think is brilliant), Ituralde fighting the Seanchan, the return of trollocs and myrddraal finally, the forsaken are actually doing something, the DO is messing with the pattern on a larger scale the he has before, war in Caemlyn, wrap up the Black Ajah sisters plot (for the most part), Moiraine's letter, Egwene in the Tower beginning her take over, and probably my favorite scene of the whole series "Besides, you must remember the old saying: Let the Lord of Chaos rule." Still sends shivers down my spine.

Edit: That being said I love all of them, and if I'm reading the books my favorite is which ever one I'm on. Choosing Wot books to me is like picking a favorite child.

Yeah, I remember being surprised as hell from Taim's actions in that last scene. It HAD been a LONG time sinse Id read the previous books, and I just finished Book 11 last month, and I just for some reason sort of remember Taim being one of Rands GOOD Asha'men. Damn was I wrong. It shows how much into WoT we are/I am, because I was actually upset that Taim is giving off a negative outlook on the Black Tower. I was all hoping they'd show the Aes Sedai how GOOD they were, and really badass at the same time.

Im only half way thru book 12, but Im really looking forward to a scene(I mean if a scene like this was to happen) where Rand comes back to the Black Tower and puts the smack down. Im guessing Taim is one of the Forsaken at this point.

I find it really hard to choose, partly before they all sort of blend together for me so I'm not precisely sure what happens in which book. But I chose KoD. Firstly, because it wraps up so many plot lines (Faile's captivity, Elayne's fight for the throne, Mat and Tuon). But mainly because of the number of chill-down-the-spine moments. The Ogiers' battle cry. Nynaeve's "Will he ride alone?" and the "Golden Crane flies". Logain's "Weep if you must, but weep on the march to Tarmon Gai'don". Taim's "Let the lord of chaos rule".

Yeah, I had just read a REALLY explicit re-read on the first books when I made that poll, so I was sort of refreshed on them all. But even after I could put certain scenes to certain books, its still almost impossible to choose. The first 5 to me are so close to buttery-goodness.

moved to gen WoT forum.

i picked #12, cause it has my two fav scenes of the entire series in it; Egwene standing up to Eladia and Semi getting spanked by Cadsuane.

my close 2nd was the 3rd book honestly. alot of character developement, you first meet the Aiel and its the books that really gets the ball rollign for all characters.

Difficult decision really... I really can't choose one, either of the first 3, or book 12...

I think if ToM was included on the list I might even choose that one, even though it is set more around Perrin, I actually enjoyed the Perrin story in that book (Faile's capture and rescue is the one story arc I haven't enjoyed at ANY time in my numerous re-reads, which is why I can't say any of the middle books are my faves)..

I can't decide. I liked each book in the series a lot, and absolutely loved books 1-6 and 11-13. There were countless scenes that caused goosebumps to raise on my arms; had me shouting "YES!" and "F* YEAH!" (My wife wasn't thrilled that I scared the dogs with those... ). I've also shed tears so much that my vision was blurred. To me (at least) RJ imbued the series with (I suspect) his strong belief that Good overcomes Evil. The combination of all of these elements - beautiful writing, the seizing of the reader's emotions, the story itself, sense of adventure...I could go on and on. Wheel of Time sits as the penultimate epic fantasy. To me, it is even better than LoTR.

I've read other authors that have some characteristics I love within Fantasy stories, but never another that incorporates all of them. I read the Fantasy genre to escape the real world. I can hear and read about the good guys losing, being defeated and being killed nearly every day on the news.

Back on topic, it's too bad that you didn't include Towers of Midnight - you'll love it once you read it. I think if I had to choose only one as my favorite (to this point), it would be ToM. It has many crescendos, awe-inspiring moments and side-plot line wrap ups. ToM also progresses the overall story exremely satisfyingly, leaving me with anxious anticipation and suspense for the final book.

By the way - I started reading this series for the first time this past July.

Lord of Chaos has to be the best book. It had the healing of stilling/gentling, the creation of asha'man, Egwene's raising to the Amyrlin Seat, the beginning of the journey for the Bowl of the Winds - and the intro of Ebou Dar (one of my favorites), and of course the best battle scene known to man: Dumai's Wells.

The meat of the story I found extremely satisfying. Well-rounded characters, gradual progression and development, and believable thoughts and dialogue. That's something I've really missed from WoT in the last couple of books. Lord of Chaos is fantasy writing at its best.

Picking a favorite was pretty hard. I went with KoD for the same reason as other had...it wrapped up so much stuff that it felt more like one story closing and another opening...now the story can begin again...

I was in 10th grade I think when I started reading these so...'97? I think it was around the same time aCoS came out...so whatever year that was...lol

Edit: I double-checked, it was '97. That was the first time I had to wait for a book to release...little did I know that it was going to be more than a decade for this one, then I'd have to wait for Sandersons SA books, and I'm still waiting for books from 2 other authors (one died, but I'm hoping his wife will finish them, the other I have no clue why the author stopped).

For me, my favorite is Towers of Midnight. It's not the best. I would say that the best is either The Shadow Rising, the Fires of Heaven, or Lord of Chaos. But it's my favorite.

Rand has the single most awesome scene in the series so far (in Apples First). He has another top ten scene in the series so far (in Return to Bandar Eban). He has a third top ten in the series so far (in A Storm of Light). Perrin has a top ten scene (in A Making). Mat had a top ten scene (in Into the Void). 'Twas a good book for great scenes!

moved to gen WoT forum.

i picked #12, cause it has my two fav scenes of the entire series in it; Egwene standing up to Eladia and Semi getting spanked by Cadsuane.

my close 2nd was the 3rd book honestly. alot of character developement, you first meet the Aiel and its the books that really gets the ball rollign for all characters.

Difficult decision really... I really can't choose one, either of the first 3, or book 12...

I think if ToM was included on the list I might even choose that one, even though it is set more around Perrin, I actually enjoyed the Perrin story in that book (Faile's capture and rescue is the one story arc I haven't enjoyed at ANY time in my numerous re-reads, which is why I can't say any of the middle books are my faves)..

Fav: Shadow Rising

Also I would be very interested to know when people started reading the series.

Started Reading: 1994

I'd say The Gathering Storm, No. 12.. Loved the fact that Egwene's plot to overthrow Elaida finally hit a climax with Elaida losing it and the Seanchan finally attacking the WT.

Holy Shit. I quoted those of you that mentioned book 12 as fav. DAMN. YOU. ARE. RIGHT. I was about half way thru last night, but I finished it. I couldnt put it down. I mean it was already HELLA good. I even posted a thread JUST on how good Book 12 was going. But DAMN. It's really really good.

I'd probably have to change my choice to Book 12 at this point, but I'll also concede the fact that having just finished it, along with the fact that I read so many of them SOO long ago MIGHT factor in my decision. But I'll also have to say that the choice is very hard, and they are all soo good that the difference in one over the other are very small. However Book 12 is outstanding. And I base this on its content. I'm not trying to or about to compare writing styles, although I find the style excellent with no problems as well.

Egwene gathering up those novices and linking because she's dosed up with Forkroot and laying waste to an invading legion of some of the BEST trained soldiers in the world was very nice. "Very nice, how much?" - Borat. I DO like how she ran and grabbed the badass wand, BUT! I DONT like how easy it was. I dont like that for many reasons. I dont like how one of the supposed GREATEST sa'angreals in the world is just lying on a shelf ANYWHERE, even in The White Tower. I dont like how easy it was for her to get to it. I dont like it one bit. I DO like the ass kicking she does once she has it, though. I just dont see how someone wouldnt have already gotten their hands on it. ESPECIALLY one of the Blacks. ANYWAY. By no means is this point in anyway enough to deter my vast enjoyment of the scene.

Book 12. Amazing.

And as I mentioned I read the first 10 books, especially the first 5 or so books, many years ago. This answers someone's question about when we began reading the WoT. For me I BELIEVE it was 1993 or 1994. It could have been as early as 1992 or as late as 1995. But I'd say '93, '94.

EDIT: I posted before I was done. I also wanted to discuss Rand's new personality. I'm not sure I'm liking it. I mean I get that we're supposed to find him becoming very unlikable, but I cant say that Im not hoping he doesnt hurry up and GET WELL. It is an interesting storyline, though. I get how touching the True Source to escape that male adam is and WOULD change him. I'm guessing touching something so entirely evil cant go without its consequences, but I hope it wraps up soon. I miss the GOOD Rand.

And anyone who's read PAST book 12, please dont spoil, but those of you who havent(although I doubt many of you havent finished the series) please tell me what you think about this. Did the Dark Lord free Sermihage and give her the adam to put on Rand because he knew it would force him to touch the True Source, and to slowly start becoming more chaotic? And I wonder if Sermihage knew of the plan, and was willing to die(not willing to die for a cause, we KNOW the Forsaken arent like that) because maybe she was promised ressurection? Or its most likely that the Dark Lord figured Sermihage would at least get him collared long enough for her to inflict an extreme amount of both physical, but most importantly MENTAL pain on Rand.

And how could I, OR ANY OF YOU who mentioned book 12, forget VERIN. I did NOT see that coming! What a great twist. Brilliant. I love the ancient story of the True Battle of Good vs Evil that I believe, ultimately inhabits the Universe. Same battle in Star Wars. Anyway, one of the things that the Dark Side can never truely understand or prepare for is the selflessness of Good Men(and women). Sacrifice. Self sacrifice. Old story. New twist. I <3 it.

I voted TSR. I find the Aiel to be really interesting, and the Snakes and Foxes are one of the most fascinating aspects of the whole series.

LoC has one of the best scenes of the series but the book as a whole is average.

tEotW, TGH, and TGS are my #2-#4...I'd have to think pretty hard to fill out the rest of the list =]

I could go either way between The Eye of the World, The Shadow Rising, and The Gathering Storm.

The Eye of the World, I just think is the perfect first book. I really like how RJ started out keeping the series simple, with one plot line for the majority of the book and only a few POVs. I definitely prefer that over throwing someone right into the middle of the action with a bunch of POVs and plot threads that some fantasy authors like to do.

TSR and TGS are just great books with a lot of quality plot threads.

EDIT: I posted before I was done. I also wanted to discuss Rand's new personality. I'm not sure I'm liking it. I mean I get that we're supposed to find him becoming very unlikable, but I cant say that I'm not hoping he doesn't hurry up and GET WELL. It is an interesting storyline, though. I get how touching the True Source to escape that male adam is and WOULD change him. I'm guessing touching something so entirely evil cant go without its consequences, but I hope it wraps up soon. I miss the GOOD Rand.

. . . I thought you said you finished it? Rand's getting crazier and crazier from the pressures of his role and everything else around him, and then when he's offered and uses the True Power that adds another level of evil inside of him, and things get worse and worse, and he gets harder and harder. This has all been building since book 2. And if you finished TGS, which you said you did, then you should know what happened...

EDIT: I posted before I was done. I also wanted to discuss Rand's new personality. I'm not sure I'm liking it. I mean I get that we're supposed to find him becoming very unlikable, but I cant say that I'm not hoping he doesn't hurry up and GET WELL. It is an interesting storyline, though. I get how touching the True Source to escape that male adam is and WOULD change him. I'm guessing touching something so entirely evil cant go without its consequences, but I hope it wraps up soon. I miss the GOOD Rand.

. . . I thought you said you finished it? Rand's getting crazier and crazier from the pressures of his role and everything else around him, and then when he's offered and uses the True Power that adds another level of evil inside of him, and things get worse and worse, and he gets harder and harder. This has all been building since book 2. And if you finished TGS, which you said you did, then you should know what happened...

He said in the first post he is about a third done.

Archived