DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Regarding Siadar

rageofwar1978

Greetings all thank you for your time. Something amazing occurred to me while I was trying to sleep and it woke me straight up. In the process of cleansing the taint of siadin from the true source Rand iirc “shielded” it though a column of siadar. That being said in the books directly AFTER that we begin to notice that keepings and wards made by siadar are if not failing….being corrupted as if rotting away without exactly failing entirely.

This is a process that you may have noticed in some things created with siadin in the past. The ways area wonderful example. The ways were corrupted over time by the taint on siadin and if I remember there were other examples.

What makes me wonder though is this. Never have I read that the taint was immediately evident to the male channelers after the sealing of the bore. In fact it seems to me that almost none of them were aware of it until some years after they had started going mad.

If this is the case then is it possible that the taint of siadin was transferred to siadar at least in part to siadar. If the original male channelers did not notice the taint until it was too late then the female channelers would be in a similar predicament.

To be clear my reasoning about the male channelers NOT noticing the taint until years later is simple enough. Throughout my readings I have never seen a perspective that involved a male channeler acknowledging the taint in the beginning. However sever scenes seem to indicate that they only became aware of it some time later. I suggest years because after the bore was patched there was a period of time where the remaining dreadlords and darkspawn were being rounded up and dealt with.

I invite any insight onto this because I don’t think I have seen anything like this mentioned or hinted at. It seems most folks are content to assume it’s the great lord touching the pattern. But the timing is simply to concise to the time the taint was cleansed. Thank you.

My apologies I originally wrote this in word so it would be well formatted but the site does not seem to understand indenting lol.

An interesting theory, but I still think it's the dark ones touch that is causing those wardings to fail, not a transfer of the taint.

I found some information on the Dark One's initial counterstroke and it's results.

But that was not the only result, of course. Instead, there was the counterstroke from the Dark One at the moment of sealing, and saidin itself was tainted. Lews Therin and the sixty-eight survivors of the Hundred Companions went insane on the instant. Within days they were leaving trails of death and destruction in their paths. By the time the taint on saidin was discovered, hundreds more male Aes Sedai had been driven mad, and what remained of civilization after the war itself had fallen into chaos. Even informing all the remaining sane male Aes Sedai of the danger was now impossible. That fateful day at Shayol Ghul ended the war, and began the Breaking of the World.

So, men immediately noticed the taint on Saidin. If the taint was transferred to saidar, likely some women would have gone insane as well. Also, from the point of view of Rand channelling, we know that in order to seize saidin, Rand had to go through the taint. It felt like a rancid layer on saidin, like a film of oil on water. If saidar was similarly tainted, I think one of the female channelers would have noted this change.

Interesting. I was under the mistaken impression that there was a lapse in time between the taint being noticed and it causing the insanity. Thank you.

There was a lapse in time from when the taint occurred until the effects were completely realized, but the taint was there and noticed immediately.

Interesting. I was under the mistaken impression that there was a lapse in time between the taint being noticed and it causing the insanity. Thank you.

The men at Shayol Ghul went mad on the instant - I don't have the quotes in front of me, but I want to say it was from the Strike at Shayol Ghul? I'd guess their immediate insanity is because of their proximity to the Dark One when it happened. As spoke said, though, it was some time after before people knew the full extent of what had happened.

Archived