DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dreaming and channeling

Rand alSaurus

So this isn't your average topic, and it's not based on a certain theory or moment of the series. I poked around and tried to find a more appropriate place to put it, but if a mod comes along and wants to move it, please do!

I am a dreaming enthusiast. So WoT is naturally very interesting to me! After I finished college I got into a thing called "lucidity." While dreaming, you try to gain awareness over that fact, while remaining asleep. It's not easy to do. There are habits you can get into to help you with it, but it does take time and some training. But once you reach lucidity it gets easier, and you can do some fun stuff (use your imagination!).

I once started to gain control of dreams, for short periods of time. I played with it for a while, but eventually stopped. I picked up WoT at some point, and my fist re-read (currently stalled on WH) inspired me to try again. I've been getting back into it in recent months, and already have had some interesting things happen.

As a side-note, I enjoy the similarities between what we learn of controlling/mastering TAR, and what it's like to master lucidity and the dream state. Some of the same rules apply, and the parallels are amusing. But that's a story for another day.

So, to tie into the topic post (I know a lot of you are thinking, "wow, this one is special"), my newest goal when I reach lucidity is to embrace and channel saidar. It's a long shot, but it's easier than flying (in my opinion) for where I am, and it would be really cool to do it.

Any "dreamers" among our own??

I have realized I'm dreaming a few times and your right the first thing I try when it happens is to fly. The best I can manage is giant leaps like the hulk. Any tips???

NOT sure what you mean by tips.. I have no idea what you want to DO.

If you already realize you're dreaming, and you're interested in it.. you're past a good part of the learning curve.

Google "lucid dreaming" there is good stuff out there. Don't BUY anything or take drugs, that's not what it's about. Google it. Stay away from anything you put in your body, spend money on, or do anything that is uncomfortable. That is my best advice for you.

I'll give you a quick rundown. This might sound freaky BUT.. Think of it like TAR training when you're falling asleep.

As you're going through the stuff from google, pick a couple main topics and focus on:

Learning how to get there. It'll help you get a good base for getting and staying lucid. You can enter lucidity from a normal dream if you train yourself to recognize things, ask yourself things, look at certain objects...

You CAN control stuff around you, if you get good at it. You can do whatever you WANT, really. Go anywhere. Do anyonething.

The death rules of TAR don't apply as far as I know..

When I first read about TAR and moving where you want and creating what you want, using thought and willpower to hold your image, sleeping, in a dream, aware of that, and to stay there... I was interested all over again. Imagine the fun things I could do with the power!

READ about it :) Then come ask questions!

I have realized I'm dreaming a few times and your right the first thing I try when it happens is to fly. The best I can manage is giant leaps like the hulk. Any tips???

NOT sure what you mean by tips.. I have no idea what you want to DO.

If you already realize you're dreaming, and you're interested in it.. you're past a good part of the learning curve.

Google "lucid dreaming" there is good stuff out there. Don't BUY anything or take drugs, that's not what it's about. Google it. Stay away from anything you put in your body, spend money on, or do anything that is uncomfortable. That is my best advice for you.

I'll give you a quick rundown. This might sound freaky BUT.. Think of it like TAR training when you're falling asleep.

As you're going through the stuff from google, pick a couple main topics and focus on:

Learning how to get there. It'll help you get a good base for getting and staying lucid. You can enter lucidity from a normal dream if you train yourself to recognize things, ask yourself things, look at certain objects...

You CAN control stuff around you, if you get good at it. You can do whatever you WANT, really. Go anywhere. Do anyonething.

The death rules of TAR don't apply as far as I know..

When I first read about TAR and moving where you want and creating what you want, using thought and willpower to hold your image, sleeping, in a dream, aware of that, and to stay there... I was interested all over again. Imagine the fun things I could do with the power!

READ about it :) Then come ask questions!

Thanks! Sounds interesting. Maybe I will look it up when I'm ment to be working.

I went through a period of being obsessed with lucid dreaming and I did manage it a few times. Still do very occasionally, usually when I have a flying dream. I've hurled lightning bolts around at enemies which was fun, but not using Saidar. I also have this strange thing where I can "rewind" dreams. So for instance if I was going round a corner in a dream and bumped into something that tried to kill me, I could back and I'd know to go round that corner more carefully, or wait for it to come to me or whatever. It's not a conscious thing, it just happens.

When I first read about TAR, I immediately thought, "Hey! Lucid dreaming!" I'm really interested in dreams as well, although I haven't managed to control my dreams for nearly a year. I've been too busy and stressed out to think about dreaming all that much.

In one of my lucid dreams I did actually end up meeting Rand. I woke up before I could talk to him or anything, though.

Archived