DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Main characters' forgotten abilities, what will happen to them?

Ferdawoon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

big point going back to the first post power wrought weapons will not be created by Aes Sedai, its a part of the oaths, the only work around is having an Ashaman lead the flows however if the Aes sedai know the purpose of the circle the oaths might rip them out of the circle aparently power wrought weapons are a Talent of their own the Ashaman that turned Perrin's hammer to a PWW that "he just knew what to do"

He also just happened to be in the same room as a ta'veren in the full force of a pattern-wrought moment.

Remember, it was said that it was possible to sometimes see the pattern almost physically bend around Artur Hawkwing, and the triumverate are stronger taveren than Artur Hawkwing.

I would assume that his knowing what to do was because the pattern needed him to know

heh, no arguments there. Your and my posts are essentially 2 ways of stating the same thing.

I wonder if making a power-wrought weapon requires the channeller to be present at the time of its forging, or if it can be 'modified' later a'la cuendillar from iron.

Power wrought means channeler has to be present, otherwise its not wrought with the power (created) however problem still remains only ashaman can do it because of the oaths on aes sedai

I believe the OP is just having a problem with realizing where these aspects play into the story. It's not always obvious in the books as they are so long.

Take Egwene for example, all you're referring to is her natural talent for Earth. When she is captured by the Seanchan and they use her to find ore that's a hint at her talent. Later we see her undo a lock by separating it's particles, etc. this all leads up to her not only rediscovering Cuendillar, but being extremely talented at creating it. Her talent in this area plays a key role in her being captured.

So, without this talent, Egwene would never have come up with the idea for the harbor chains nevermind have gone herself and gotten captured.\

Similarly, Elayne's training under sea folk combined with her natural talent with Ter'Angreal is what allowed her to not only figure out what the Bowl of the Winds did, but know exactly who to go to. Rand's "seeker style" thing is just him using the power before he understands it well enough to actually know what he is doing or percieve weaves. Nynaeves' impressive delving that allowed her to detect the 'cut' that stills/gentles played into her being able to detect compulsion, which put her into a position to heal compulsion, which put her into a position to delve men who are tainted and heal that.

There's nothing forgotten, it's just aspects of the character that have subtle yet important influences on the story.

Dastion beat me to it!

Talents seem to be expressions of an individual's character too - think Nyneave and Androl.

Also, channelers have natural dominant powers that may inform their Talents. Rand has Spirit and Fire (not sure about Earth) while Egwene has Earth and Air(?); I recall either Egwene or Elayne suggest they don't have to think about working with Water or Air when trying to teach Rand in Tear.

Dastion beat me to it!

Talents seem to be expressions of an individual's character too - think Nyneave and Androl.

Also, channelers have natural dominant powers that may inform their Talents. Rand has Spirit and Fire (not sure about Earth) while Egwene has Earth and Air(?); I recall either Egwene or Elayne suggest they don't have to think about working with Water or Air when trying to teach Rand in Tear.

Pretty sure Egwene is earth and spirit

Archived