DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Main characters' forgotten abilities, what will happen to them?

Ferdawoon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This page lists Talents; I think all that this series revealed.

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/main/true_source/weaves.html

Yes, seen that list before on encyclopaedia-wot and on wot.wikia and it show a bit of what I mean.

There is that big list about things we have heard about but never really seen, we have amazing things that have been mentioned as something everyday:ish. Such as lots of the Athan'miere's ships, if not all, have women who can channel and manipulate the weather with amazing skill and a weaving-style unheard of in the White Tower with the vast span over the skies and the thickness of the threads, etc.

The Wise Ones in Rhuidean with their Caressing the Child that was made to seem like a "This? Oh we do that all the time over here"-thing, a weave forgotten to the Aes Sedai. Not to mention all the Dreamers.

Aligning the Matrix, something used to make metals stronger, when have we really seen that happen? Is that the talent to make Power Wrought weapons? If so, then at least we will probably see a bit of that in the last book, even if just indirectly.

Folded Light, to render someone invisible, was last seen somewhere in book 8..

Earth Singing, to cause or prvent earthquakes, and as far as encyclopaedia-wot the only time we have heard of it is in the glossaries.. Same for "Milking Tears" and "Spinning Earthfire".

Ofc we can add Cuendillar to the list. Highly useful but not seen very much at all.

Not to mention, when was the last time we heard of the Ogier? The Tinkers?

And yes, there are a lot of new things going on that we can deduce happen behind the scenes, such as Nynaeve telling that Healer-ashaman (forgot his name) how to cleanse the madness, which we can assume they are doing to the Asha'man loyal to Rand. We see lots of Travelling going on as well as Dreaming getting a lot of space in the books, Perrin with the Wolves, etc. So, yes, there is a lot of things happening left and right that a few books ago was considered something amazing, but there are a lot of equally amazing things that have happened and that could have a great impact on how the story unfold should they once again be implemented.

Apart from the attack-weaves mentioned in the books, as well as defensive shields, which I guess could be quite handy in the Last Battle, there are a lot of abilities and Talents that have been more or less forgotten about.

I wouldn't expect cuendillar to be any heavier than iron. That would involve creating matter, not just changing it.

Then we should exspect to see cuendillar armour at TG?

No, When Egwene closed the harbor in TV All the links, where they were in contact with other links, formed a single piece. That's why it remained in place to block the harbor. If you turn armor into cuendillar, you would have to do it as each individual piece. so it MIGHT be possible, but you are talking about a lot of individual working to get it done.

I suspect some of the new talent weaves and even some the ter'angreals are simply mentioned for reference on how the future will change after the Dark One is defeated.. Much in the same way that Rand has created his schools in various cities... It's interesting that Aludra's weaponry is in no way part of the schools, and most of the stuff mentioned as being created in the schools probably won't help during TG - capturing lightning and the steam wagon for instance - though they could conceivably help the battle, why use untested machinery and electricity when you have well known channelling and Travelling..?

I suspect some of the new talent weaves and even some the ter'angreals are simply mentioned for reference on how the future will change after the Dark One is defeated.. Much in the same way that Rand has created his schools in various cities... It's interesting that Aludra's weaponry is in no way part of the schools, and most of the stuff mentioned as being created in the schools probably won't help during TG - capturing lightning and the steam wagon for instance - though they could conceivably help the battle, why use untested machinery and electricity when you have well known channelling and Travelling..?

The Steam Wagon could come in very handy for moving Dragons around on the battle field. People have been eating horses so there aren't that many for pulling the Dragons around. IIRC Aludra said 4 horses per Dragon.

True, they could be handy for the dragons, it would really depend on how many exist and what the terrain is like near Shayol Gul

I didn't mean at Shayol Ghul, I imagine that most of the fighting will take place elsewhere. Caemlyn will not be the only city invaded in my opinion.

Isn't the ability to see ta'veren a Talent? I thought someone in Salidar had it, and Logain as well (he saw a glow around Rand when he was being paraded through Caemlyn which was why he laughed).

Yes it's a Talent but I can't remember which novice in Salidar has it, will have to keep my eye out as I do my re-read. And I think that Logain has the Talent as per your observation. Suian also has it.

Ahh, so she feels it in him she doesn't "see" it the way Siuan, Logain and Nicola do.

Aes Sedai talk in the purported quote/s then. I missed it because I'm listening not reading this time. It's much harder to keep track without the written word in front of you. :blink:

Q: So, if the ability to see them was based on the Power, what about the Ogier Elder who knew Rand was ta'veren?

RJ: For Siuan, yes, for the Ogier, no. The Ogier was able to see (or feel, I can't remember which RJ said) the Pattern shifting around Rand.

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcjspjqg_89djj2tjpj&revision=_latest

why use untested machinery and electricity when you have well known channelling and Travelling..?

Remember that RJ have said that there are ages when no one know channeling or that it even exist a One Power.. Considering that if Rand do things the most obvious way, using both Saidin and Saidar to touch the Dark One, they both bcome tainted, channelers go insane and after a while the Channeler gene will be bred out of the genepool.

Until we in our age (RJ mention that our age was an example of an Age where channeling was not available) start tinkering with genetics and maybe stumble over the channeling gene :P

Ahh, so she feels it in him she doesn't "see" it the way Siuan, Logain and Nicola do.

Aes Sedai talk in the purported quote/s then. I missed it because I'm listening not reading this time. It's much harder to keep track without the written word in front of you. :blink:

Did Logain "see TV" or does he have the gift of sight? He saw a man who is greater than anything he ever thought. Not "A ta'verin" and he was informed enough as a noble, though minor, to know what a TV was. Maybe he just has the sight.

Did Logain "see TV" or does he have the gift of sight? He saw a man who is greater than anything he ever thought. Not "A ta'verin" and he was informed enough as a noble, though minor, to know what a TV was. Maybe he just has the sight.

An educated noble yes, but from where would he know that what he was seeing indicated a Taveren? I'm not arguing that he didn't know what a Taveren was, I just don't think Aes Sedai would tell a fairly minor noble one of their secrets. I wouldn't be surprised if the first time Logain met (as in to talk to) an Aes Sedai was when he was captured, and they wouldn't be likely to fill the gaps in his knowledge on the road to Tar Valon. Men tend to avoid Aes Sedai if they have a choice in the matter.

why use untested machinery and electricity when you have well known channelling and Travelling..?

Remember that RJ have said that there are ages when no one know channeling or that it even exist a One Power.. Considering that if Rand do things the most obvious way, using both Saidin and Saidar to touch the Dark One, they both bcome tainted, channelers go insane and after a while the Channeler gene will be bred out of the genepool.

Until we in our age (RJ mention that our age was an example of an Age where channeling was not available) start tinkering with genetics and maybe stumble over the channeling gene :P

Yep, that's why I said that such technology is likely made for after the Last Battle, rather than for the Last Battle...

But, as YouMayCallMeElci said, the wagons could be used for the Dragons during the LB, and it would makes sense for those who fight and don't channel and who are not at Shayol Ghul to have these things.. But still, it depends on how many of these wagons have been created.. It will be interesting to see..

An educated noble yes, but from where would he know that what he was seeing indicated a Taveren? I'm not arguing that he didn't know what a Taveren was, I just don't think Aes Sedai would tell a fairly minor noble one of their secrets. I wouldn't be surprised if the first time Logain met (as in to talk to) an Aes Sedai was when he was captured, and they wouldn't be likely to fill the gaps in his knowledge on the road to Tar Valon. Men tend to avoid Aes Sedai if they have a choice in the matter.

I just think that maybe logain could see what Rand was gonna be as he glanced him entering the gates of the castle. Knowing what he would do, and how thoroughly doesn't mean he saw a TV, but that he had a moment of "The Sight," could be an equal explanation.

• 4 weeks later...

What I would love to see is this. Since iron is already used as a basis for cuendillar why not take existing pieces of armor and transform it. It would be indestructible and someone with a talent for it like egwene could transform large amounts of it rather quickly. Honestly im flabbergasted that it has not been done before.

The only problem I'd have with that is the weight, I can't remember any reference to how heavy cuendillar is. But if weight is not a problem then your spot on. Imagin it armour that could stop balefire!

If im remembering correctly, isnt cuendillar light as a feather? i cant remember where it was said, but i seem to remember it was said at one point.

big point going back to the first post power wrought weapons will not be created by Aes Sedai, its a part of the oaths, the only work around is having an Ashaman lead the flows however if the Aes sedai know the purpose of the circle the oaths might rip them out of the circle aparently power wrought weapons are a Talent of their own the Ashaman that turned Perrin's hammer to a PWW that "he just knew what to do"

You guys seem too have forgotten something very important. Rands ability to cut someone from their ties the Dark One. Asmodean in book four: The Shadow Rising and the first book: The Eye Of The World, to Ishamael.

A sudden ache climbed the back of its neck; a faint weakness washed along its limbs. Too long away from Shayol Ghul. That tie had to be severed somehow. With a snarl, it turned to find the edge of shadow that it needed. The day was coming. It would come.

Emphasis mine.....................

Archived