DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favourite- Character

Gidar

In WoT: Pedron Niall, the only character who genuinely seemed to move from some kind of internal moral compass. Jordan is guilty in some cases of having the other characters doing stuff just because the plot demands it. But Niall was remorselessly logical as a character. Shame he died. Thom Merrilin was a good character at the start whilst he actually still did stuff. Mat has been consistently entertaining throughout. Perrin was interesting before his wife emasculated him. Now he is rather tedious.

I do like the minor players in the books, particularly Davram Bashere, Dobraine Taborwin and Rodel Ituralde.

Outside of Jordan, Tyrion Lannister in A Song of Ice and Fire is probably the coolest, most interesting character created in fantasy literature to date, ever. Boromir and Gollum from LotR are up there as well.

I agree, Pedron Niall. He was in my opinion the most logical and intelligent of all characters to some degree in the series. All his moves were calculated, reasoned and he had a strict set of morals. Plus he worked his way to power through his prowess, not given his position through luck (t'averen) and all his achievements are nothing but his own work.

He even has the grudging respect and probably the closest thing to a fearfull adversary of the Aes Sedai that is a normal human being with no powers or connection to the DO, shown early in the book, and that means something to my opinion.

I also find it a shame he died, I always enjoyed reading his POV, as they were refreshingly logical and showed more depth then did Rand, Mat, Perrin, Nyn, Eg, Elayne, or Min's usually.

To me he seems like a moral form of Thom. Whereas Thom often skirted through life breaking the law and rules when he needed too and working there and here, with little holding him to one track. However both are goodhearted, wise and know much of the world. Likewise Galad vs Gawyn to some degree only older. One has a strong moral set of beliefs and will not skirt the rules, breaking rather then bending before going against ones belief. Likewise I believe Galad would be a preferable monarch to Elayne who from her POVs seems at the moment still immature and instable at times to take a task such as ruling two of the largest nations of Randland. However Galad singlehandedly became leader of the White cloaks and is a superb military commander so far. I would find it highly amusing and emotional if through a quirk of Jordan he would have Galad displace Elayne from her throne of Cairhien and possibly although preferably not Andor through his belief to be the justfull King of the lands. Having him slay Elayne and Gawyn in battle or in the halls of the palace itself, only to be slain on his newfound glory as King by the Dragon in a rage is a fitting ending instead of the happy do good ending in my opinion.

So I stick with my opinions I view Pedron Niall and to some degree Galad as my favorite characters due to their depth and logical way of thinking and set of morals they hold.

Archived