DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The character in myth and legend that Rand becomes.

jmniles

It could be that RJ's 'it's not going to happen' (re: Rand and Galad swordfight) just means that Rand won't have a sword. But I don't think so. I think Justice will end up in Gawyn's heart. But he comes back to life when Moiraine balefires Rand. :)

I think if RJ could ever (or may have!) have written a sword fight between Galad and Rand I would weep for the sheer poetry of it.

Somehow, Gawain and Mordred end up being brothers, though of course Gawain isn't related to Arthur. They just share a relative (Mordred). That would seem to point to Galad, but...dunno. How would Galad kill Rand without a sword? And it's a lot easier to see Gawyn doing it anyway. He's the one with the Bloodrings, and if he gets his hands on a proper copy of Mat's ter'angreal, he'll be in good shape. As for Rand's missing hand...

Mat's Ter'Angreal doesn't deflect weaves of Saidin - we saw this in FoH when Rand and co. travelled to Caemlyn to attack Rhavin. Rhavin's immediate response when he felt Rand's gateway was lightning and Asmodean, Mat and Aviendha were all dead until Rand balefired Rhavin. Also, if Gawyn could work it out and 'see' the Bloodknives (or at least their shadow effect), then I think Rand will be able too as well.

Can the Bloodknive's ring Ter'Angreal be used twice? Also, only the Seanchan can activate them AFAIK, Elayne could probably work out how but she would want to know what for. The rings will eventually kill the wearer and if Elayne works this out too, I highly doubt that she will activate them for Gawyn or anyone else.

What if Gawyn/Egwene give one to Rand not knowing that it is a death sentence and Alivia activates it for him? This could be how she helps him die...

Mat's Ter'Angreal doesn't deflect weaves of Saidin - we saw this in FoH when Rand and co. travelled to Caemlyn to attack Rhavin. Rhavin's immediate response when he felt Rand's gateway was lightning and Asmodean, Mat and Aviendha were all dead until Rand balefired Rhavin.

The lightning wasn't a weave. A weave was used to call down the lightning, but saidin didn't actually touch Mat. Same as when the Aes Sedai realized they could use saidar to throw things at him. It was an indirect use of the power, therefore it's not proof that the ter'angreal doesn't work on saidin.

I guess you're right about the lightning, even though it needs to be aimed/directed in some way...

I still don't think the medallion will deflect Saidin though because Mat asked for protection (can't think of a better word for being able to 'get away') from Aes Sedai. The only Aes Sedai at the time were women, and I can't believe the Finns didn't know this.

another trippy twist of myth is the one about

mosk and merk and the lance of flame that could reach around the world.

Moscow and America?

Nuclear weapons reference?

or:

Lenn who flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire.

Glenn Armstrong?

Apollo 11 landers name was Eagle

just a thought on some of the really old tales that thom merrilin mentioned to egwene in tEoW.

Archived