DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are there any female warriors, armsmen or blademasters?

Andhaira

Are there any in Randland? I know Aiel have spear maidens, but what about the Westlands? Are there any female warriors or blademasters? What about on the Borderlands, where nearly everyone is required to fight at some point?

The only female warrior I can think of is Brigette, and she is primarily an archer.

The Seanchan have a lot of them in their military, in the other countries they seem to be very rare, but not completely unheard of. Birgitte managed to find a hundred such women in Caemlyn pretty quickly.

IIRC, even though it doesn't make much sense given the Trolloc threat, women in Saldaea aren't taught how to fight with weapons, Faile is very much an exception.

I don't think a female blademaster has been pointed out yet.

As others mentioned above...

The Royal Guard at the palace in Camelyn is made up of all women.

Chi Faile is all women (or mostly women).

Tylee was a leutinant then promoted to general in the Seanchan army.

TSR, Ch. 41

Girls are not taught the sword, or war, in Saldaea, but father had named an old soldier from his first command as my footman, and Eran was always more than happy to teach me to use knives and fight with my hands. I think it amused him.

As I said, Faile seem to be exception and the guy who taught her to use knives and unarmed fighting wasn't really supposed to, he was a footman and wasn't employed to teach her those things.

TSR, Ch. 41

Girls are not taught the sword, or war, in Saldaea, but father had named an old soldier from his first command as my footman, and Eran was always more than happy to teach me to use knives and fight with my hands. I think it amused him.

As I said, Faile seem to be exception and the guy who taught her to use knives and unarmed fighting wasn't really supposed to, he was a footman and wasn't employed to teach her those things.

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time page 254

"Though girls are not taught the arts of the sword, many are quite skilled with knives or in hand to hand fighting"

it also mentions highborn women are expected to be able to discuss strategy with their husbands and that men and woman of all classes usually travel with at least a knife.

Maybe he changed it between TSR and then.

I'm pretty sure that Tuon has been trained in more forms of fighting than karate. Not sure which book but I think Tuon is musing about her place in line for the throne and her sisters.

Indeed, Tuon is trained to be her own last line of defense. Not sure if that includes weapons though.

Archived