DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Change/add/remove

Feral

If you could change/add/remove any character or plot or whatever in this series what would you do?

Change: The Dragon Reborn title to "Phoenix Reborn". I know it doesn't sound quite as fierce and powerful but it just makes more sense. Phoenix = rebirth. And so far there's been no reason revealed for the use of dragon as a title.

Add: I'd give Rand a twin sister, who's on an equal footing with Lanfear when it comes to channelling. It would get rid of the need for Alivia and Egwene (she'd be a good choice as Amyrilin, being the DR's sister). She'd be good guard for Rand, someone he could actually trust, and she'd act as a good mediator between the AS/Wise Ones and her brother. I'd also have her cleanse the taint instead of Nynaeve. While I love Nyn, I just found it a bit odd that she was strong enough. I mean even Rand struggled and he's the most powerful man alive, while Nyn's falls quite a bit short compared to the most powerful females. So would basically solve a lot of the problems I find really annoying.

Remove: Perrin. I can't stand him and I don't see the point of him. To be blunt.

Change: The Dragon Reborn title to "Phoenix Reborn". I know it doesn't sound quite as fierce and powerful but it just makes more sense. Phoenix = rebirth. And so far there's been no reason revealed for the use of dragon as a title.

Except that's ridiculous because being reborn isn't something unique to the Dragon. The Dragon is just as arbitrary as the Phoenix, and "dragon" has much stronger leadership/destructive connotations than "phoenix."

Add: I'd give Rand a twin sister,...

Pointless. You already have characters to accomplish all of the tasks that you would want one character to do. So instead of having several well-rounded characters all working in unison to perform various functions, you'd rather have one Mary Sue character? Yeah, no thank you.

Remove: Perrin. I can't stand him and I don't see the point of him. To be blunt.

And what's the point of Mat? Or Egwene? Or Elayne? Or Nynaeve? Or any of the other hundreds of characters?

A character's purpose is evident in the things they do. When they cease affecting the plot, they stop having a purpose. As it stands, Perrin has a purpose in the story.

But on topic? If I could change one thing about the series it would be Jordan's almost childish depiction of genders. It's wholly unrealistic, and while it serves a thematic purpose, more often than not it's frustrating and completely removes us from being able to identify with the characters.

On a more specific note, I would completely change how Mat's interaction with Tylin was handled. The rape was played for jokes, and it's just horrible. It's not funny if a man does it to a woman, and it's equally unfunny when a woman does it to a man.

Guest Czechs In The M'Hael

Osan'gar would have been sent to breed worms in the Blight, and would have had True Power access.

Cadsuane wouldnt have fallen from grace if I had my way. She was AWESOME before TGS. She was bringing Rand down some pegs. Moiraine didnt do that.

Lanfear wouldnt have put Asmo in Rands custody and then been hellbent on killing him. Rand would have found Asmo himself.

I would change the Mat-Tylin thing to make it look less like rape. But that is a hindsight thing, and I only say it because of the reaction it got on here. Personally I dont think it was rape at all, it was merely that Mat gave in to her charms-he even admits after that he misses her. Cant see a rape victim missing their rapist to be honest.

Semirhage wouldnt have spent 45 mins messing about with Rand and the bracelet, instead she would have Travelled to Shayol Ghul, dragged Min with em, and THEN done the torturing stuff, made Rand kill Min, but Rand still balefires her with TP pretty much immediately after.

Perrin die. Egwene die. Elayne die.

Mat do some more big stuff.

Lastly, Rand wouldnt have turned into Richard Rahl after VoG.

I would have changed the title of the third book. It really gave me nightmares and by chapter 55 I think I had 100 crazy theories, all shaped around the fact that Rand wasn't the Dragon Reborn.

I was half expecting Mat or Perrin to start channeling and take the sword from the Stone.

Other than that, no changes(not big ones at least). Maybe some characters should just grow/wake up, but we can't have all our wishes come true.

As to the dying part, there's still time, although I have a bad feeling about how many of my favorite characters will die and how many characters that should die will somehow survive the final battle and end up smelling like roses.

Zilch... I wouldn't change a thing. I've loved these books so much over the last 15 years that the early ones are starting to fall apart (well from book 3 onwards, my cat shredded 1 and 2) and I am currently purchasing the audio versions and will get hard covers after that for my kids to read as they grow up.

I didn't see the Mat - Tylin thing as rape either. Sure Mat wasn't looking for it but he complained more about being tied up with pink ribbons (kinky) and the way Tylin dressed him than about their relationship. Anyway, he needed a fling before marrying Tuon. Even Tylin and the maids saw it that way. Mat was her pretty and pampered, you can't blame Tylin for being in her "dirty thirties" :rolleyes:

I would have changed the title of the third book. It really gave me nightmares and by chapter 55 I think I had 100 crazy theories, all shaped around the fact that Rand wasn't the Dragon Reborn.

What was wrong with Rand being the DR for you?

What was wrong with Rand being the DR for you?

Well, it was hard to picture him DR if he had his first pov chapter in chapter 55, if I remember correctly.

Even Niall had more coverage than Rand in that book.

i agree about the forsaken. i think being in the long sleep has dulled their collective wits. ishy seems to be the only one that has actually managed to come close to accomplishing anything. realistically they should have been ordered to unite axe rand and then slide into home without having to do a thing more. the forsaken are........a let down imho. they are feared above all others but soon enough even the lesser friends of the dark grow to disrespect them.

I was half expecting Mat or Perrin to start channeling and take the sword from the Stone.

Other than that, no changes(not big ones at least). Maybe some characters should just grow/wake up, but we can't have all our wishes come true.

As to the dying part, there's still time, although I have a bad feeling about how many of my favorite characters will die and how many characters that should die will somehow survive the final battle and end up smelling like roses.

I would change the title of the first book and the ninth. They don't really flow well with the others (One of these things is not like the others, one of these things is not the same....)

And I would definitely change the name of the last book. Maybe when it finally gets here it will be justified, but I've always thought the last book should be called The Wheel of Time. What more appropriate name could conclude the series?

There is a guy named Dida (or Felix Pax or Tinker Pride, depending on which name he's using now) who posts on Theoryland who still thinks Mat is the real Dragon Reborn.

There is a guy named Dida (or Felix Pax or Tinker Pride, depending on which name he's using now) who posts on Theoryland who still thinks Mat is the real Dragon Reborn.

it was a momentary lapse in judgement, but it was strange to see several lines about Rand killing a dog in like 15 chapters, Egwene to dream about him 5 chapters later, several lines with him killing some DF after another 10 chapters, and so on.

I think it was chapter 55 in which we actually see him from his PoV(and it was a multi-pov chapter), at least for more than half the chapter.

Archived