DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene and the Black Tower

Ratatatpat

Following Rand's cleansing of saidin, Egwene's Hall is undecided as to what to do about the massive amount of the One Power that was used, thinking it was the Forsaken. Egwene sent a party of sisters to discover what they could at the location and the sisters recognized the residue of saidar and saidin. How could they be such fools to not realize that the Forsaken do not use saidar and saidin? The Forsaken do not use the One Power.

Also, why can't Nynavae just inform Egwene of what actually occured at Shaidar Logoth through Tel'a'ranrhiod? Everyone in the series holds back with what they need to inform others of.

Excuse my misspellings.

They're all allowed to touch the One Power before Moridin is declared Nae'blis. They are generally much smarter than that, though, and think the risks and sacrifices are too high for the benefit. I can't recall who, but I think it may have been Sammael who had a perspective where he referred to Ishamael as being quite insane for channeling the True Power.

But yes, you're right. The rest of the Chosen use the One Power.

Dam I thought I had puzzled out something good. But still why couldn't Nynavae just bloody tell Egwene! That would have saved great trouble.

Lol, that was a good one. Ask Nynaeve. Hilarious. :laugh:

Let me remind you how explaining things to Egwene works. I will use examples from the start, middle and end of the series, but I won't search for the exact quotes, but since they were very funny, I remember most of them.

Start

Rand&co: Egwene, we don't seek adventure. The Trollocs are after us. It's very dangerous.

Egwene: Yeah, right. And pigs fly. Be serious for once. Let's roll!

Egwene: Who's Elayne?

Rand: The Daughter-Heir of Andor.

Egwene: If you don't want to answer, don't. Just don't lie to me like that!

Middle

Mat: But I'm not a Dragonsworn!

Egwene: Don't be silly! Of course you are!

End

Nynaeve: I think Zen Rand really changed for the better.

Egwene: Poor girl. You have been ta'verened. Don't worry, one good session of torture...drat, I mean testing for AS...should put you on the right path again.

Now, how do you think that conversation will play out?

I bet it will be something like this:

Egwene: I wonder what happened at SL?

Nynaeve: Oh, Rand and I used two super powerful ter'angreal from the AoL to cleanse saidin while a dozen AS and Asha'man, not to mention a former damane, fought and kicked the asses of all the Forsaken at once, killing one in the process.

Egwene: Ha ha ha. Very funny. Now really, what happened there?

I don't think she can do anything about the BT at the moment. She'll have her hands full with other more pressing matters for the next couple of days.

Dam I thought I had puzzled out something good. But still why couldn't Nynavae just bloody tell Egwene! That would have saved great trouble.

Lol, that was a good one. Ask Nynaeve. Hilarious. :laugh:

Let me remind you how explaining things to Egwene works. I will use examples from the start, middle and end of the series, but I won't search for the exact quotes, but since they were very funny, I remember most of them.

Start

Rand&co: Egwene, we don't seek adventure. The Trollocs are after us. It's very dangerous.

Egwene: Yeah, right. And pigs fly. Be serious for once. Let's roll!

Egwene: Who's Elayne?

Rand: The Daughter-Heir of Andor.

Egwene: If you don't want to answer, don't. Just don't lie to me like that!

Middle

Mat: But I'm not a Dragonsworn!

Egwene: Don't be silly! Of course you are!

End

Nynaeve: I think Zen Rand really changed for the better.

Egwene: Poor girl. You have been ta'verened. Don't worry, one good session of torture...drat, I mean testing for AS...should put you on the right path again.

Now, how do you think that conversation will play out?

I bet it will be something like this:

Egwene: I wonder what happened at SL?

Nynaeve: Oh, Rand and I used two super powerful ter'angreal from the AoL to cleanse saidin while a dozen AS and Asha'man, not to mention a former damane, fought and kicked the asses of all the Forsaken at once, killing one in the process.

Egwene: Ha ha ha. Very funny. Now really, what happened there?

+1

Following Rand's cleansing of saidin, Egwene's Hall is undecided as to what to do about the massive amount of the One Power that was used, thinking it was the Forsaken. Egwene sent a party of sisters to discover what they could at the location and the sisters recognized the residue of saidar and saidin. How could they be such fools to not realize that the Forsaken do not use saidar and saidin? The Forsaken do not use the One Power.

Also, why can't Nynavae just inform Egwene of what actually occured at Shaidar Logoth through Tel'a'ranrhiod? Everyone in the series holds back with what they need to inform others of.

Excuse my misspellings.

Okay, so this has already been answered, most of the Forsaken have been cut off from using the TP, but even if they hadn't been, do the AS even know about the True Power? I don't recall there ever being any mention of it from their perspective...

And that was my gripe through the whole series - that the characters don't tell each other anything!! If they did, so many things would have been resolved...

They're all allowed to touch the One Power before Moridin is declared Nae'blis. They are generally much smarter than that, though, and think the risks and sacrifices are too high for the benefit. I can't recall who, but I think it may have been Sammael who had a perspective where he referred to Ishamael as being quite insane for channeling the True Power.

I believe it was Demandred. Probably in WH, when Moridin tells all the forsaken to find and stop Rand.

Wheel of Time rule 1: Characters don't tell each other anything.

(..)

This!

Do you have a source of this? I'm pretty sure I've read quite the opposite somewhere.

BTW, I love your sig Never. :biggrin:

Do you have a source of this? I'm pretty sure I've read quite the opposite somewhere.

Which part? That the Chosen aren't allowed to channel the True Power any more, or that they rarely ever did when they could because the risks were too high? Eh, doesn't really matter. They're both answered in the same passage.

Winter's Heart, chapter 13, page 360, paperback:

A black speck floated across Moridin's blue eyes, then another, in a steady stream. The man must have been using the True Power exclusively since he last saw him to gain so many saa so quickly. He himself had never touched the True Power except at need. Great need. Of course, only Moridin had that privilege now, since his...anointing. The man truly was insane to use it so freely. It was a drug more addictive than saidin, more deadly than poison.

There you go. :) Thanks to Master Ablar for pointing out the proper book.

A minor oversight

During the cleansing, which every channeler in the world noticed, Myrele should have informed Egwene that Lan is near the same place (she could hardly fail to notice it).

Egwene knows Lan sticks Ninaeve who sticks to Rand... Suddenly the smart girl, who is desperate for more info on the Dragon (like anyone else), cannot make these simple connection?

Had Egwene thought to keep tabs on Rand's location through Myrele, it would've implied of Rand's involvment rather than the Forsaken.

That's said, I was always annoyed by how Rand lost the chance for self PR on such a grand scale. He should have dragged the entire BT and all the AS he could grab and all the Wise Ones to witness the cleansing. After a performance like that every Asha'man at least would have followed him happily, even Taim.

Nynaeve didn't necessarily proclaimed she will be following Rand. To everyone else, she would have looked liked she just fell of the grid for unknown reasons. Egwene wouldn't have any reason to think she is following Rand around. (Rand's visit to Caemlyn was a secret). And like someone else pointed out, she had been avoiding Egwene. She would not have told her why she fell off the grid.

Then Myrele would have no reason to confide everything to Egwene, cause quite literary, she is just being black-mailed to fellowship.

Myrelle didn't tell Egwene. She was JUST about to tell her that on the day Egwene was captured, but she couldn't (they were interrupted).

Also, Avi thinks about informing Egwene, but decides it's no use (because it doesn't really matter).

Archived