DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Character Quiz!

Simple Gleeman

So I've decided I want to make a Wheel of Time personality quiz, similiar to the one on WoTmania, but I don't really like theirs.. :roll:

So to begin I will obviously need a list of characters to match the test taker against.

Then I was thinking of grouping them together into general view points, and using more specific questions to narrow down an invdividual character.

For instance, politcally Rand and Elayne are both pro-working class. Elayne however is more subtle in her politics while Rand is, "do what I say or die."

Maybe thats not fair to Rand, seeing as he has a deadline for saving the world and all... and thats why I'm looking for ideas.

Here's an example of a question I might want to use.

Would you consider fear a worthwhile tool for governing a city/country?

Forsaken and Seanchan would probably fall into the Yes category for that one :lol:

or perhaps

Is the power to physical dominate someone justification for being their ruler.

Aes Sedai would clearly be a Yes on that.

Actually the 5 point scale from Strongly Disagree to Stronly Agree is probably better to use than the 2 point scale of Yes to No.

So to start, here's an short list of characters to test off the top of my head...

Rand

Mat

Perrin

Egwene

Nynaeve

Elayne

Aviendha

Moiraine

Elaida

Tuon

Siuan

Min

Lanfear

Verin

Cadsuane

Thom

Ideally each character will have enough "internal reflection" in the books so that we can accurately classify them.

Taim for instance is a fairly important character, however you don't get any point of views from Taim and therefore can't judge him nearly as well as others.

So.. any thoughts?

I am re-reading tEotW right now and I just found/remembered one of Moiraines great quotes.

"The Dark One is after you three, one or all, and if I let you go running off wherever you want to go, he will take you. Whatever the Dark One wants, I oppose, so hear this and know it true. Before I let the Dark One have you, I will destroy you myself." -pg. 181, tEotW (paperback)

The end justifies the means? :D

Fear is, perhaps not a worthwhile tool, but a nessasary one. Pretty much every government uses it to some degree... the stupid ones by making the people fear the government, the intelligent ones by making the people fear a third party, but it is usually present.

Concider too wether Rand would be in his position if it were not for the threat of Tarmon Gai'don... for all his individual power, he would have been taken down by now if it weren't for the fact that a large number of people fear the Dark One more then they do him.

As for the power to dominate--concider well who has more power amongst their people... the Aes Sedai, or the Wise Ones? The ability to dominate is a basic power, an effective one yes, but a blunt one. Those that utilize the more subtle usually end up attaining more power.

And im a firm believer in the ends taking supercedence over the means, as long as we admit the problem of the means, and dont try to justify them.

As for the power to dominate--concider well who has more power amongst their people... the Aes Sedai' date=' or the Wise Ones? The ability to dominate is a basic power, an effective one yes, but a blunt one. Those that utilize the more subtle usually end up attaining more power.[/quote']

Yes but not all Wise Ones wield the Power. Also, superiority among Wise Ones is not determined by the Power. Presumably they rule the Aiel because they know what is best for each Clan, hence they are wise.

Aes Sedai however must be able to channel to be called an Aes Sedai, and almost every Aes Sedai thinks the White Tower is or should be The Capital of the World.

Perhaps what I'm getting at is, because I can physically dominate you, am I a more capable ruler?

Power alone doesn't make for a good ruler. I think Elaida proved that. There are perhaps a handful of Aes Sedai who would make a good ruler, Moraine, Suane, Cadsuane, Verin to name a few.

Suffice to say strength in power doesn't make a strong leader. Hey if we elected the strongest man to lead us we'd end up with someone like the Big Show leading us. Brrrrrr that's a scary thought.

Yes but not all Wise Ones wield the Power. Also, superiority among Wise Ones is not determined by the Power. Presumably they rule the Aiel because they know what is best for each Clan, hence they are wise.

Actually i was speaking more of the way in which the Wise Ones fit into Aiel culture... it is not an attempt at universal power or even physical power, its a power born of respect.

There's some degree of internal soul searching going on in the US at present.

Conditions under which some terrorism suspects are being held, and the methods used to question them have been less than humane. Some of the methods used could be classified as torture. Is that justified?

Isn't there a point down that "ends justify means" road where you become so much like your enemy that the two mindsets, while opposite, are so alike in result that they become indistinguishable.

Years ago there was a great comic strip called "Pogo." Probably the most profound human insight to emerge from that strip was the obsevation, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Aren't Shadar Logoth and Mashadar Robert Jordan's way of pointing out to us the folly of "ends justify means" thinking?

There's some degree of internal soul searching going on in the US at present.

Conditions under which some terrorism suspects are being held, and the methods used to question them have been less than humane. Some of the methods used could be classified as torture. Is that justified?

Isn't there a point down that "ends justify means" road where you become so much like your enemy that the two mindsets, while opposite, are so alike in result that they become indistinguishable.

Years ago there was a great comic strip called "Pogo." Probably the most profound human insight to emerge from that strip was the obsevation, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Umm...

Perhaps I posted this topic on the Debates and Discussion board, and it only appears to be on the General Wheel of Time Discussion board only to me... but in any case, this wasn't intended to be a political discussion.

I'm simply asking would you attribute "The ends justify the means" to Moiraine, based on the quote I provided?

Aren't Shadar Logoth and Mashadar Robert Jordan's way of pointing out to us the folly of "ends justify means" thinking?

Perhaps the End Moiraine is aiming at - the saving of the world - is a rather extreme case, so you could say she doesn't strictly hold to that phrase.

And sure there are a lot of females, but what can I say. It just so happens that each one of them has a personality that can be clearly recognized because of their major roles in the books. I can't believe I forgot about Thom; he has plenty of 'screentime' throughout the books, enough to understand his personality.

Maybe the phrase "Do what needs to be done and accept the consequences" better fits Moiraine, and most of the 'good' characters. Where a darkfriend might say "Take what you want and try your damndest not to pay for it".

Archived