DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Random Things You Remember

True Source Creator

Ok, we all know Wheel of Time has a LOT of storylines, and some of them are pretty minor that we just completely forget about them. But do you ever, without re-reading, happen to remember something that happened and go, like, "Oh yeah! I remember that."? Well, I do. Some of you may have re-read the series so many times that nothing gets lost to you, but there are those like me who haven't read it enough to absorb almost everything in the books. I know I've forgotten quite a few things, which is one reason I'll be re-reading them for my second read through soon.

So today I just randomly recalled Sammael and Graendal disguising themselves as two people (I forget their names) and visiting with Sevaana. I had forgotten about it, but for some reason I recalled it today.

I've read the books 8 times now. My girlfriend has read each of them only once, years ago. We were talking about Moghedien being mindtrapped by Moridin, and how cool that scene is. Then I was saying it's awesome in TPoD when he has Cyndane's and so Cyndane must have been brought back in TPoD. Then my girlfriend was like, "Nope, she was back in ACoS cause Moridin had the second mindtrap then." And I was all, "No he didn't! He only had Moghedien's!" "Nope." So then I checked.... she won't let me live it down.

I'm doing a re-read now. Just started.

I knew that rand's first touching of the power was when he took the fatigue from Bela...

I completely forgot he bridged up to 3 whitecloaks in Baerlon while he was brimming with the OP, and was probably seconds away from obliterating them by accident...

I knew that rand's first touching of the power was when he took the fatigue from Bela...

I completely forgot he bridged up to 3 whitecloaks in Baerlon while he was brimming with the OP, and was probably seconds away from obliterating them by accident...

Actually, he wasn't holding the Power at all. He was having his first reaction to channeling (on Bela), which Moiraine describes for Nynaeve later on. The second reaction (to channeling when they boarded the Spray to knock a Trolloc aside with a boom) was when he climbed up on the mast acting crazy a few days later. The third reaction (to channeling in Four Kings) was the sickness on the road right after. After that he stopped having them.

Most people don't remember that one of those Whitecloaks was Dain Bornhald. (He was at the gate when they left, too.)

only 8 times? I lost count. (of course the older books more times than the newer, but I got into the series when 3 or 4 (maybe 5) came out)

Lately havent found anything else to read so im just rereading again and again I know I need a life...

tell me of something good

Actually, he wasn't holding the Power at all. He was having his first reaction to channeling (on Bela), which Moiraine describes for Nynaeve later on. The second reaction (to channeling when they boarded the Spray to knock a Trolloc aside with a boom) was when he climbed up on the mast acting crazy a few days later. The third reaction (to channeling in Four Kings) was the sickness on the road right after. After that he stopped having them.

Most people don't remember that one of those Whitecloaks was Dain Bornhald. (He was at the gate when they left, too.)

Ahh it was a reaction... there you go then :) Thanks... i just read the part where he's on the mast of the ship. I had wondered if he'd channeled the boom on the ship

I didnt interpret that event as "reactions" because moiraines description of the reactions for women was that of fever/sickness/utter incoherency/.. (from what i remember anyway)...

Rather than the description of the reaction that rand in baerlon had which seemed to be more a "pumped up elation" that made him sound like he was holding the power or something. (to me anyway... although i guess i should've known it wasnt that given there was no molten ice references etc)

TY.

Ahh it was a reaction... there you go then :) Thanks... i just read the part where he's on the mast of the ship. I had wondered if he'd channeled the boom on the ship

I didnt interpret that event as "reactions" because moiraines description of the reactions for women was that of fever/sickness/utter incoherency/.. (from what i remember anyway)...

Rather than the description of the reaction that rand in baerlon had which seemed to be more a "pumped up elation" that made him sound like he was holding the power or something. (to me anyway... although i guess i should've known it wasnt that given there was no molten ice references etc)

TY.

Here's a refresher on Moiraine's description:

"Perhaps as much as eight or ten years ago – the age varies, but always comes young – there was something you wanted more than anything else in the world, something you needed. And you got it. A branch suddenly falling where you could pull yourself out of a pond instead of drowning. A friend, or a pet, getting well when everyone thought they would die."You felt nothing special at the time, but a week or ten days later you had your first reaction to touching the True Source. Perhaps fever and chills that came on suddenly and put you to bed, then disappeared after only a few hours. None of the reactions, and they vary, lasts more than a few hours. Headaches and numbness and exhilaration all mixed together, and you taking foolish chances or acting giddy. A spell of dizziness, when you tripped and stumbled whenever you tried to move, when you could not say a sentence without your tongue mangling half the words. There are others. Do you remember?"

Nynaeve sat down hard on the ground; her legs would not hold her up. She remembered, but she shook her head anyway. It had to be coincidence. Or else Moiraine had asked more questions in Emond's Field than she had thought. The Aes Sedai had asked a great many questions. It had to be that. Lan offered a hand, but she did not even see it.

Hey, from this discussion I suddenly remembered that it is possible to channel without the void/oneness. While somewhere in tGS or ToM, in Rand's POV, the void shattered and saidin remained. I can't put it into words right now, but something is brewing in my head. (like that saying "It's in the tip of my togue", but can't seem to bring it out)

I would add to Terez in saying that his last reaction was when he channeled at the eye of the world, and it happened instantaneously (as soon as he let go of the source, presumably) - which is why he had that fevered dream of rolling around etc at the beginning of chapter 52

And then the clock started ticking, because at that point it's too late. So now we have our answer: Rand is going to die like every wilder, suddenly and without warning at Merrilor.

I would add to Terez in saying that his last reaction was when he channeled at the eye of the world, and it happened instantaneously (as soon as he let go of the source, presumably) - which is why he had that fevered dream of rolling around etc at the beginning of chapter 52

And then the clock started ticking, because at that point it's too late. So now we have our answer: Rand is going to die like every wilder, suddenly and without warning at Merrilor.

Not quite..

"Each time, the reaction comes closer to the actual touching of the Source, until the two happen almost together. After that there are no more reactions that can be seen, but it is as if a clock has begun ticking. A year. Two years. I know one woman who lasted five years. Of four who have the inborn ability that you and Egwene have, three die if we do not find them and train them... It takes days, and once it begins there is nothing that can be done to stop it."

So it's not certain that Rand will die; he has a one in four chance of survival on his own without training.. And he has had training, from Asmo.

Nevertheless, it's a possibility. If it does happen, it won't be sudden. It will take several days.. unless, of course, someone helps him die..

According to Moiraine, one woman lasted 5 years, so there's still time. And although Asmo did indeed train him, it is entirely possible that Asmo kept back that little nugget..

If this is how it's going to happen - with Alivia helping Rand die to avoid the worst of the 'wilder sickness', possibly by telling him how to use the Bloodrings - Terez and I will have to chalk it up as a combined guess!

only 8 times? I lost count. (of course the older books more times than the newer, but I got into the series when 3 or 4 (maybe 5) came out)

Lately havent found anything else to read so im just rereading again and again I know I need a life...

tell me of something good

Fair go! Some of us are severely disadvantaged here... :happy:

tDR was released just before I turned 2 and tSR just before I turned 3.

I think I've a reasonable excuse. :biggrin:

I forgot about this glaring scene until a couple months ago: Rahvin kills Asmodean, Mat, and Aviendha. I think I recall him killing Asmo, but not the other two. Then a couple months ago, I remembered the scene, or maybe I looked something up about Rahvin.

Yeah, I know, how could I forget that? I'm still on my first read through. Today I finish Towers of Midnight.

Archived