DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Land of Madmen

ONeill

The name comes from the island having had male channelers on the loose since the Breaking, which has kept the islandfd in more or less total chaos ever since.

It might show up in AMOL, but I don't see any reason why RJ should do that.

A reason to have the island at least mentioned would be, that since the source has been cleansed they would make a good edition to the BT. There could also be someone there able to help Rand to learn thing that not even LTT knows.

I have a suspicion that the whole concept of the Land of the Madmen, where men and women channelers both run insane, and the breaking is still happening with volcanoes and earthquakes and all that, was just an elaborate smokescreen... wether by the islands actual inhabitants, in order to retain their privacy, or possibly by the Shadow.

In support of Luckers' idea, such a smokescreen would be easy to maintain in a place so remote, where the only people capable of getting there (the Sea Folk) have already been scared away.

Additionally, staying alive on anything but an animal level, and remaining unorganized for 3000 years is essentially impossible for a human population.

A reason to have the island at least mentioned would be' date=' that since the source has been cleansed they would make a good edition to the BT. There could also be someone there able to help Rand to learn thing that not even LTT knows.[/quote']

I have to disagree, the cleansing of the taint only prevents future maddness it does not undo the damage that has already been done. The men on the island would still be a mad as they were before the taint was cleased.

I have to agree more with the smokescreen theory. If the breaking had been occuring for 3000 years then the entire island should have been completely destroyed by now.

There is zero chance it gets added in AMoL.

It's simply something there to help flesh out the world that RJ created. One of his underlying themes has been "There isn't enough time to do everything". That would include anyone going to the Land of Madmen, especially considering it hasn't been mentioned in the books any time recently and TG is around.

oh cmon dudes. Anyone with sense can see that the land of the madmen is actaully one big pothouse island where they're not actually 'mad' but totally high and stoned (which gives the impression of being mad). The reason why the sea folk got scared away is that they managed to get, at a time, heaps of them to join their pot frenzy and because the sea folk realized going near those islands means losing heaps of their young, they decided to stay the hell away!

This is where my theory of tabac totally plays out. See when someone whos been smoking two rivers' for a long time suddenly feels the need for something stronger and more powerful, the pattern spins them out to the land of the madmen seemingly with total ease. Look what happened to asmodean...he was a real rocker in the AoLs and 3000 yrs later, he still needs the ganja. So the pattern simply makes him disappears (that pantry was a portal to the pothouse). Et voila!

I am convinced that it will be where TG will play out because we all know the DO is the biggest stoner of all.

I agree with some of the comments above. It is unlikely that if any individuals survive on the island that they would be without some kind of organization. You all they would need is one stedding to come up with a way to deal with those men who can channel or become crazy. I believe that RJ mentioned Shara people wouldn't be mentioned in the last book, but I'm not sure about the Land of the Madmen. He DOES have a lot on his plate at the moment though. Perhaps that is where Taim got the bulk of his lackies? If I knew I was bound to go mad because of something like that, I'd go to a place where it was rumored there were others like me, just so I wouldn't accidently destroy anything I loved. And if the land of Madmen has that reputation....

Archived