DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Six of one

Sharaman

Just an intriguing possibility. Could an AS be a rogue DF while keeping the original three oaths? That is, she follows the GLoD but in secret without ever being inducted into the BA?

Given that AS can get around a lot of the three oaths via sophistry, I see no reason why not.

She would not be able to use the OP to kill except in self-defence, or defence of her warder, or to make weapons for one man, etc.

Well,even with those restrictions, she'd still be an useful DF - more useful than a non-channeler. She could also use the OP for many things short of killing.

Could she get around the True speech business? Yes, unless she was asked a direct question --.

Haven't fingered anyone for this but it could be a nice plot twist.

I think the main point of releasing the Blacks from the Oaths is so that they can swear three new ones. The release is just a side-benefit.

A DF Aes Sedai who couldn't lie or kill would be severely hampered. It's more likely Ishamael knew the long-term effects of being bound by the oath rod, and dreamt up the replacement oaths so the BA could remained unfettered but still gain the ageless look.

-- dwn

I think the main point of releasing the Blacks from the Oaths is so that they can swear three new ones. The release is just a side-benefit.

A DF Aes Sedai who couldn't lie or kill would be severely hampered.

Sure, but that's pretty obvious. But I think the Oaths of loyalty are probably more important; Blacks probably don't have to break the regular Oaths too often, and in fact, they usually don't (see Galina) so as to avoid being discovered. Though I'm sure it's convenient to be able to kill with the Power.

For somebody held by the truth oath swearing fealty to GLoD or anyone else is pretty binding.

There would be advantages.

1) She doesn't show up in BA lists

2) Can pass the oath rod test and swear "I am not BA" stepping past the fact that she's a DF

She can use the OP for everything except killing / making weapons (including restraining somebody and killing them by normal means?).

More so, she can kill with OP if she has a DF warder and is prepared to convince herself that she and/ or warder are in danger.

All AS are clever at stepping around the Truth oath so unless she's asked a very direct question she can find wriggle room.

I kind of think it was the other way round--after all non-Aes Sedai darkfriends aren't subjected to bound Oaths--and the Shadow could have done that, with a little effort.

I think the main reason is to remove the Three, and then whilst they're there they figure lets throw the oaths to shadow into the mix.

Archived