DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thoughts on TEotW

narg75

Ok, I just finished my re-read of TEotW and have a few questions, thoughts. I checked several placed and could not find them addressed, then again I most probably missed them.

The prolog- The prolog was written in the 4th age. How did the author manage so much detail? If they "made it up" we would need to take what is written there with a grain of salt. There are only two people there that know what happened. Could Rand have given the detail before his eventual death? I can see this happeneing if he survives, but if he does not then how was the info passed on? The way it is strucvtured I doubt that Elan Morin Tedronai gave the info. Also, when LT goes an makes Dragonmount, there are no people with in 100 leages. How did they, those in the 3rd age, know he made it?

Tarwin's Gap- I looked at the map and several others and it seems to be in differnt places, NW, N, NE of Fal Dara. Where is it actually located? I say to the NE of Fal Dara based on the army leaving trhough the East Gate to get there. If it is directly north like on the mini-map then the heros would have been able to travel with them.

The Green Man.- "The Green Man gave Rand an odd look, then shook his head "Avendesora is not here. I have not rested beneath its ungentle branches in two thousand years" The breaking was 3000 years ago. Is this a mistake? If not, then what tree did he rest under? If it is the one in Rhuidean then what was he doing there 1000 years after the breaking? If it is not, could this be a hint about the the "blank" in the Blight?

Ok, I just finished my re-read of TEotW and have a few questions, thoughts. I checked several placed and could not find them addressed, then again I most probably missed them.

The prolog- The prolog was written in the 4th age. How did the author manage so much detail?

The prologue was written by RJ, not by a character in the books.

The way it is strucvtured I doubt that Elan Morin Tedronai gave the info.

He almost certainly did, actually. He wanted the world to remember him as the Kinslayer, to know that he killed himself when he realized what he'd done.

The Green Man.- "The Green Man gave Rand an odd look, then shook his head "Avendesora is not here. I have not rested beneath its ungentle branches in two thousand years" The breaking was 3000 years ago. Is this a mistake?

I don't think we know enough about what Someshta has been doing to say it was a mistake. I'll email Maria about it, though.

If it is not, could this be a hint about the the "blank" in the Blight?

That, I doubt. For one thing, Brandon said there were hints of that in TOM, so you'd have to find a hint.

I re-looked at the prolog, and you are right RJ must have written it. There is a small break, only one blank line in my book between the ending and the next part wich is writen by an unknown author in the 4th age. For some reason I was thinking it was all together.

I've also been doing a re-read, and early in the book - when Moiraine is Healing Tam - we read this:

Moiraine still had not moved. Was the AS doing anything? He shivered and rubbed his arms, not sure he really wanted to know what she was doing.

His first experience of goosebumps when a woman channels, as when Egwene and Elayne try to teach him to sense saidar (TSR7)?

Archived