DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Could Rand make a new hand with the Power?

IAmTheDragonReborn

After reading the forums mentioning who the best swordsmen is in Randland, and the Mat v. Lan forum there was a lot of discussion of Rand's lack of a hand hampering his ability as a swordsmen. Now its a bit of a stretch going from say making a crowbar to making a working bending, pivoting, opposable thumbing hand out of the power. But Rand now has all of LTT memories and such from the AoL couldn't he just channel a hand?

I seem to remember, correct me if I'm wrong that somebody had visions, foretelling or something that Rand was seen to have a black hand? Could that be foreshadowing to it? Or am I just pulling feces out of my ass?

I seem to remember, correct me if I'm wrong that somebody had visions, foretelling or something that Rand was seen to have a black hand? Could that be foreshadowing to it? Or am I just pulling feces out of my ass?

You are wrong. There was no indication of the black hand in Mins viewing belonging to Rand.

You are wrong. There was no indication of the black hand in Mins viewing belonging to Rand.

... or that it didn't belong to Rand?

He could also make a hand out of metal or any other convenient material.

The bigger question: Why would he bother? Especially if he hasn't so far.

Because we want to see a fair fight between him and gawyn!

I'd rather see Rand own him with one hand.

"It seems Ryne was wrong as well as a Darkfriend. You were better than he."

Lan shook his head slightly. "He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you're dead."

No fight between rand and Gawyn would be fair without weird conditions.

Minimally

1) Rand has to promise not to use the power, not even its enhanced sensory capacity.

2) Gawyn has to chop off his hand and fight holding a sword with a single hand.

3) Gawyn has to avoid using the bloodrings

4) Egwene, Elayne, Aviendha, Alanna have to promise not to interfere.

5) If Min has any visions showing Rand using a cunning move to kill Gawyn, she has to avoid telling Rand.

6) Galad has to avoid getting involved to shop his half-brother killing his step brother.

7) The Forsaken have to ignore this all

8) The GLoD has to be sealed away or to give an undertaking that He won't grab the souls of anybody who dies and resurrect them in his service.

No fight between rand and Gawyn would be fair without weird conditions.

Minimally

1) Rand has to promise not to use the power, not even its enhanced sensory capacity.

A ter'angreal would solve that problem.

5) If Min has any visions showing Rand using a cunning move to kill Gawyn, she has to avoid telling Rand.

She most likely won't.

7) The Forsaken have to ignore this all

Who says they will know about it?

8) The GLoD has to be sealed away or to give an undertaking that He won't grab the souls of anybody who dies and resurrect them in his service.

He probably doesn't care enough about Gawyn to bother. As for Rand, that's why Moiraine has to show up in the nick of time and balefire him.

Not completely--Cyndane more than held her own against another channeler--and one who due to an angreal was far stronger than she. Rand has all of Lews Therin's skills now, I don't really seem him being less capable than Cyndane.

A surprise would would work, Rand goes to grab Gawyn air and Gawyn stabs him... but an actual fight?

Not completely--Cyndane more than held her own against another channeler--and one who due to an angreal was far stronger than she.

Yes, but she could see her. That makes it a little easier.

In Irish mythology, the blacksmith Creidhne created a silver arm for King Nuadu who'd lost his in battle. The king was later given a new arm of flesh and blood by a healer named Miach in a process that took "thrice three days and nights."

There's also a Welsh version of the story:

According to legend, Lludd was once the leader of the gods but was wounded in battle and lost his hand. Gorfannon, the divine-smith god, made Lludd a new hand out of silver. For his defeat, Lludd lost his position to his nephew, Lleu Llaw Gyffes.

So there is a mythological precedent for this, and Nynaeve could play the role of Miach, but there's probably no time for Perrin to create something as advanced as a prosthetic limb (and Rand's hand will be restored anyway if he dies and goes to T'A'R). Otherwise it would have been neat to see Power-wrought prosthetic limbs. :biggrin:

In Irish mythology, the blacksmith Creidhne created a silver arm for King Nuadu who'd lost his in battle. The king was later given a new arm of flesh and blood by a healer named Miach in a process that took "thrice three days and nights."

There's also a Welsh version of the story:

According to legend, Lludd was once the leader of the gods but was wounded in battle and lost his hand. Gorfannon, the divine-smith god, made Lludd a new hand out of silver. For his defeat, Lludd lost his position to his nephew, Lleu Llaw Gyffes.

So there is a mythological precedent for this, and Nynaeve could play the role of Miach, but there's probably no time for Perrin to create something as advanced as a prosthetic limb (and Rand's hand will be restored anyway if he dies and goes to T'A'R). Otherwise it would have been neat to see Power-wrought prosthetic limbs. :biggrin:

There's some hint of this in the Perun legends as well.

Real AoL healers could heal this. only contemporary healers can't handle this.

For years they have been talking about growing replacement parts for people, seems possible tho we are probably yrs away from a real practical event for the simpler organs. Every Liver transplant entails spliting it into two (approx. I think the sick person gets a bigger piece) after the procedure it grows back for both? of them to reasonable size (maybe a little smaller than average...)

Yeah I would say it could most likely be fixed in the Age of Legends but you would probably have to go to Semirhage and Aginor combined to help you out since they were the best at Healing and biology which wouldn't be a happy solution. :sad:

Hah, Rand versus Gawyn in a fight just using swords, I could see Rand hesitating at harming Elayne's brother plus someone he genuinely liked the first time they met and Gawyn taking that moment to remove Rand's head from his shoulders. Gawyn has to be a dirty fighter anyway to have defeated two of the best Warders in the Tower when he was so young.

I could imagine Hammar telling him, I won't fight you boy, while Gawyn had already run him through and moved on to the next guy.

Archived