DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hey all!

Alric

Hi everyone! I've been planning to sign up for a long time, but I always put it off because while I've been checking this site for years, I've also tried to stay away to avoid spoilers because I've never really been "up to speed" with my reading.

A little bit about myself: I'm a guy, I'm 30, I'm from Norway, I've always loved reading and writing, but mostly non-fiction and academic work. However, WoT has defined me in many ways since I began reading it in high school in fall 1997. I never noticed all the nuances and foreshadowing but the world, the atmosphere and the characters completely captivated my young mind. I tend to obsess a bit when I enjoy something, but this is one that has lasted. I finished the first seven books in about six months. I did read up until WH (9?) plus New Spring as the books were released but eventually I realized that a re-read was in order since I was having problems remembering everything several years later. I put off that re-reading. Not because I didn't want to, but because I wanted to save it and have something to look forward to (it may sound weird but that was my logic).

So, a little more than two months ago I began reading again, 14 years after I began the first time (that is really scary, it doesn't feel that long at all). This time I'm paying very close attention to details and I'm even writing down all sorts of questions when I come across something I wonder about. I absolutely love how RJ has set up everything from the very beginning. I think EotW spoils practically everything if you only know where to look (which of course you don't the first time). Right now I'm in the middle of LoC (6) and I'm enjoying it just as much as the first time around if not more. I know these characters now, they feel like old friends (and they were never out of my mind) which only adds to the enjoyment.

I if was to list everything I like about WoT it would probably be way too much, but I'll just share a bit to give an impression:

Favorite book (so far): The Shadow Rising

Favorite characters: Siuan and Moiraine (closely followed by: Min, Rand, Verin, Mat, Lan, Birgitte, Thom + lots of minor ones (Bayle, Aludra++))

Favorite parts: AoL/Breaking flashbacks in tSR (in fact anything about the AoL), the girls getting to know T'AR (pretty much all their adventures on their own), the early adventures of everyone (traveling, not Traveling), Mat being ta'veren and using his newgained knowledge, Siuan and Nynaeve getting people to do what they want simply by being who they are (and being awesome too) :biggrin: .. and I could go on...

I will probably be very careful with what I read and post here to avoid spoilers before I'm done with ToM (which I will probably get to in a couple of months). A lot has been spoiled for me already, I have some friends who can't shup up. In fact, some of the same people who couldn't shut up when I began reading the first time :laugh: . And I've also spoiled things myself by looking up stuff that is hard to check without being presented with more info than you asked for. But I hope I have some surprises left, so I'll be careful.

If you made it this far in my post, I'll just say that I'm glad to be here and you will probably not get rid of me that easily now that I've taken the first step. :biggrin:

We're usually pretty careful about only having spoilers in certain avoidable threads or very clearly marked so they can be avoided :)

Suian is also one of my favorites, my others being Aviendha, Nyneave, Egwene, Verin, all of the Wise Ones, and a few characters that I don't believe you've met yet.

WH was my favorite, though TGS was a close second. All of the last books are even more amazing then the first ones, in my opinion, though there are some who disagree.

I've only been a fan two years or so and am already on KoD in my reread ;) You have time to do yours though; right now the last book is approximately 48% done :D

You definitely have surprises left :D

We will enjoy hearing your opinions as you venture through the books.

About dm (just in case you haven't gathered in the time that you stalked us but didn't join) there are many different social groups, theory groups (which I wouldn't recommend until you're all of the way "up to speed") and rp boards if you're into that sort of thing. I am currently in 4 social groups and love every minute of it :D

WELCOME TO DRAGONMOUNT!!!!!

Welcome to DM, Alric! I loved your intro post :biggrin:

I must say your English is exquisite - such a pleasure to read that.

As AH said, avoid the General WoT Discussion board, but there's also a structured one where you won't be surprised with spoilers.

You'll probably find a few spoilers at the Social Groups as well as the RP Groups - we're usually only strict on Spoilers of the latest book, and then only for a few months. That being said, we don't spend our days specifically discussing the books there, though it's very interwoven into our structure.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask - we're really friendly here :biggrin:

Aiel Heart:

Thanks! Nice to hear from a fellow fan of Siuan and Verin :biggrin: (and the others). I love to hear that you like the later books, I can't wait to get to those, although I'm certainly enjoying the current ones. I've also heard from friends that they enjoy the later ones and I'm sure I will too. I haven't read anything by Brandon Sanderson yet but from everyone says I shouldn't need to worry.

I will share my impressions as I read along, I'm just going to look for the right places to post my questions (I have a document on my computer full of them - but I'm afraid some of them might lead to spoilers). But knowing myself I probably won't be able not to ask and participate to some degree :laugh:.

Elgee:

Thanks for the compliment and for the warm welcome :blush:. I will take my time to look through some of the threads in the structured forum. I'm sure I could spend hours on everything related to theory but I'm telling myself to be careful. I see that there are threads for each book, that could be a good place to start. Or if I'm allowed I might spam the forums with individual questions (If I'm allowed - I will read through the guidelines first - because I have plenty of them :biggrin: ). I've been concisouly keeping out of places like DM (well the forum anyway) and only discussed things with my friends for all these years, so I have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to impressions and theory and general WoT gossip :smile:.

I know that one member is starting to post her thoughts as she reads in the chili pot of the Wolfkin, but I'm beginning to think that we need to create a board for this.

BARMACRAL!!!!!!!!

I might have to bug him with a pm :P

Hi everyone! I've been planning to sign up for a long time, but I always put it off because while I've been checking this site for years, I've also tried to stay away to avoid spoilers because I've never really been "up to speed" with my reading.

I never seem to be up to date myself and that hasn't stopped me lol I actually just finished book 12 (GO ME) and am turning my evil attention on another unsuspecting book :D The reason I'm usually behind though, aside from me being a slow reader, is the fact that I only buy the book when it comes out in paperback, which usually takes a long long while. Book 13 actually hasn't come out yet in paperback... only on October. But I have a friend visiting me in a week that is bringing his hardcover copy so I'll just whisk it off to read :D

A little bit about myself: I'm a guy

Good, we need more guys here! :D

I'm 30, I'm from Norway, I've always loved reading and writing, but mostly non-fiction and academic work.

Woo, one of my best friends on DM is from Norway. So that makes you cool by association! And if you enjoy writing you should REALLY check out the RP section of DM. We have some fantastic RPers that you should enjoy writing with. I dabble with RPing as well, so if you ever want to write together, I'd love it.

However, WoT has defined me in many ways since I began reading it in high school in fall 1997.

It is weird, isn't it? I started reading it when I was 15 in 2000 and it influenced my life in such a way that is absolutely incredible to me. A lot of people just see another fantasy series. But for me? it feels like I grew up with a WoT book in my hand. Not to mention all the time I've spent on this site. And well, I firmly believe that had I not come across this series (props for my best friend for that, btw), that I would be a completely different person right now.

Favorite book (so far): The Shadow Rising

Favorite characters: Siuan and Moiraine (closely followed by: Min, Rand, Verin, Mat, Lan, Birgitte, Thom + lots of minor ones (Bayle, Aludra++))

I like most of the ones you listed. Though I'm not that captured by Rand *gasps are heard all around* What? Sure, he's the Dragon Reborn, but that doesn't mean he has to be my favorite *grins* Myself? I'm a fan of Nynaeve, Lan, Mat, Siaun and a couple of others. But those are my top four *nodnod*

Favorite parts: AoL/Breaking flashbacks in tSR (in fact anything about the AoL), the girls getting to know T'AR (pretty much all their adventures on their own), the early adventures of everyone (traveling, not Traveling), Mat being ta'veren and using his newgained knowledge, Siuan and Nynaeve getting people to do what they want simply by being who they are (and being awesome too) :biggrin: .. and I could go on...

All my favorite parts are Nynaeve parts, to be completely honest. Confessing her love to Lan, when he gives her the ring, breaking her block. She really does make me laugh. And yes, she's definitely one of my obsessions lol There are other parts I've enjoyed, especially from book 12 but I don't want to risk a spoiler so I'll keep it to myself. But yeah, they're NOT Nyn related ;)

I will probably be very careful with what I read and post here to avoid spoilers before I'm done with ToM (which I will probably get to in a couple of months). A lot has been spoiled for me already, I have some friends who can't shup up. In fact, some of the same people who couldn't shut up when I began reading the first time :laugh: . And I've also spoiled things myself by looking up stuff that is hard to check without being presented with more info than you asked for. But I hope I have some surprises left, so I'll be careful.

Yeah, my best friend pretty much blabbed about anything there is to blab spoiler wise lol But oh well. I'm not THAT bothered by it, I suppose. Though I admit that not knowing about things is always nicer when you read a WoT book for the first time.

If you made it this far in my post, I'll just say that I'm glad to be here and you will probably not get rid of me that easily now that I've taken the first step. :biggrin:

Well, lets see if YOU made it this far :biggrin:

And well, we're glad to have you here! I hope you enjoy Dragonmount. I mostly frequent the RP and Social side, not so much the discussion boards. So I hope to see you in my neck of the woods. And if you have any questions or just wanna chat, feel free to contact me via private message.

Cheers,

Nyn

Aiel Heart:

Thanks, I will consider making a thread for my reading, but I'll probably lurk a bit for now while I get used to the forums. I love the idea of a "diary" though, I'm sure it would be very interesting to follow others while they read and even revisit myself on later re-reads.

I never seem to be up to date myself and that hasn't stopped me lol I actually just finished book 12 (GO ME) and am turning my evil attention on another unsuspecting book :D The reason I'm usually behind though, aside from me being a slow reader, is the fact that I only buy the book when it comes out in paperback, which usually takes a long long while. Book 13 actually hasn't come out yet in paperback... only on October. But I have a friend visiting me in a week that is bringing his hardcover copy so I'll just whisk it off to read :D

Well the best part is the journey. I'm in no hurry for the series to be finished nor to finish reading. :biggrin:

Woo, one of my best friends on DM is from Norway. So that makes you cool by association! And if you enjoy writing you should REALLY check out the RP section of DM. We have some fantastic RPers that you should enjoy writing with. I dabble with RPing as well, so if you ever want to write together, I'd love it.

Cool :smile:. I will certainly check it out. While my fiction writing skills are rusty (it's been too long), I've always wanted to do more of it. I won't promise to take part in it soon, because I'm self-conscious about it and I need some more practice but it sounds fun.

It is weird, isn't it? I started reading it when I was 15 in 2000 and it influenced my life in such a way that is absolutely incredible to me. A lot of people just see another fantasy series. But for me? it feels like I grew up with a WoT book in my hand. Not to mention all the time I've spent on this site. And well, I firmly believe that had I not come across this series (props for my best friend for that, btw), that I would be a completely different person right now.

I know! :smile: I'm very thankful for those who convinced me to start reading as well. While it is hard to put my finger at just how it changed me, it certainly gave me some insight and exposure to politics and ethics which was useful for a 16 year old. I know that these characters and the rich world will always be part of me and have at times popped up in my mind in the strangest situations. Oh, and I felt no shame about burying myself in those books for several months. That was probably when I began developing my bad habit of staying up way too late.... :laugh:

I like most of the ones you listed. Though I'm not that captured by Rand *gasps are heard all around* What? Sure, he's the Dragon Reborn, but that doesn't mean he has to be my favorite *grins* Myself? I'm a fan of Nynaeve, Lan, Mat, Siaun and a couple of others. But those are my top four *nodnod*

Ah, well, I kind of view Rand from a broader perspective so to say. These characters have lived in my mind for all these years and I still think the "old" Rand is in there. The down-to-earth, honest and kind boy from the first two books. I can't really let go of that even though the Rand I'm reading about now is literally feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders and never seems to get any rest.

In fact, I just read the part where he's visiting Verin and Alanna (while I'm angry with her I also pity her), and for a moment I felt really happy when he met the girls from the Two Rivers and talked about home. Then, after that thing happened, he lost it and scared the girls with the power and by shouting about who he was. One of the saddest moments so far. Yet I do have faith that he will regain parts of his own self eventually, because he seems to be fighting this part of himself just as much as the other battles. I tend to be an optimist (I always told myself Moiraine would return and I still refuse to believe otherwise :smile:).

Oh, I do like Nynaeve. She could easily have been in my top list (although I very consciously tried to avoid mentioning everyone). I love her just as much for her weaknesses as her strengths. Her weaknesses are hardly even that, they are just what makes her human and we all have them. I've certainly caught myself in feeling all to familiar about the way she thinks and acts in the earlier books.

All my favorite parts are Nynaeve parts, to be completely honest. Confessing her love to Lan, when he gives her the ring, breaking her block. She really does make me laugh. And yes, she's definitely one of my obsessions lol There are other parts I've enjoyed, especially from book 12 but I don't want to risk a spoiler so I'll keep it to myself. But yeah, they're NOT Nyn related ;)

I do remember one scene that annoyed me in tDR (I think). The girls are in Tar Valon and being told by Siuan that no one in the tower can be trusted. And Nynaeve says something like "I don't think you can trust Moiraine". While it really irked me I could totally see why she would say something like that in her situation. And she is aware of it herself. Yep, she is fascinating to say the least.

Well, lets see if YOU made it this far :biggrin:

Challenge accepted! :laugh:

I appreciate the welcome and I'm already feeling at home here. :smile:

Archived