DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Newb---Question about avatar?

BMahle

So I'm new here. Obviously, I love the WOT series, though I haven't quite made myself read the companion novel yet. I tend to read series more for character development than the down and dirty of the plot. I've read the series a few times, but this is the first time I've stumbled on this site so I'm pretty excited. I'm not too familiar with online forums, though, and I'm wondering how to go about getting an avatar. :)

1) Go to your profile (which you can do by clicking on your name (your pic will also work once you get one)

2) in the top right area of the screen right above the big brown bar that says "Namine.Sedai*blue*'s Profile" will be a button that says "edit my profile" click on it

3) on the left side of the screen will be one red box and many white boxes. Click on the white box that says "change avatar"

4) from there you choose a file either from your computer or from a website (I know that on photo bucket if you say "share" for a picture and then choose the tab "get link code" there is one for forums and stuff that works on here)

Hope that helps, always great to have a new fan, check out the social groups, and WELCOME!!!!

I also love character development--whose is your favorite? I like Mat's and Egwene's the best, though Rand's has been interesting too...

But I also love the story.

Everything about these stories is so flawless and intricate!

1) Go to your profile (which you can do by clicking on your name (your pic will also work once you get one)

2) in the top right area of the screen right above the big brown bar that says "Namine.Sedai*blue*'s Profile" will be a button that says "edit my profile" click on it

3) on the left side of the screen will be one red box and many white boxes. Click on the white box that says "change avatar"

4) from there you choose a file either from your computer or from a website (I know that on photo bucket if you say "share" for a picture and then choose the tab "get link code" there is one for forums and stuff that works on here)

Hope that helps, always great to have a new fan, check out the social groups, and WELCOME!!!!

I also love character development--whose is your favorite? I like Mat's and Egwene's the best, though Rand's has been interesting too...

But I also love the story.

Everything about these stories is so flawless and intricate!

It's sooo hard to pick a favorite, and believe me, I love the story as well. I think Mat is definitely up there, but he didn't make it until at least book 3. I have always loved Nynaeve and her relationship with Lan, and then Aviendha just cracks me up. I love her perception of the other characters, and I think her outlook lends so much to the series. I like Egwene, but she can be a little too serious at times. Siuan is somewhere in the list as well. I think just as fun as watching the characters develop is watching the relationships develop, and she and Gareth are pretty entertaining.

By the way, apologies in advance if I get a little post happy at first. I am not only at the end of my quarter and taking time off from work for a shoulder injury, but also just excited to finally have someone to discuss these books with. I literally have not ONE friend who has gotten past book 6 or 7.

You have friends who've actually read some of the books?? Nice :biggrin:

Welcome to DM, Namine. With that handle (and forgive me for not using the Sedai part of your name - that is a title that is normally earned on here :wink:), am I right in thinking that you would enjoy checking out the White Tower? We have 2 here: the Social Group and the Role Playing Group.

You have friends who've actually read some of the books?? Nice :biggrin:

Welcome to DM, Namine. With that handle (and forgive me for not using the Sedai part of your name - that is a title that is normally earned on here :wink:), am I right in thinking that you would enjoy checking out the White Tower? We have 2 here: the Social Group and the Role Playing Group.

I definitely looked into it, but I'll admit I was a bit intimidated by the rules. I thought I might give myself some time to be aquainted with the decorum involved before jumping in and making an @ss of myself. lol. I created my name before I fully checked into the site...was I breaching some protocol? Should I change it? :/ I've been a bit overwhelmed having discovered this site today, and then all of the RP and everything else. It's been great, but also...a lot. :)

Naah don't be intimidated! The worst that can happen is that the Reds will bite you. Snugglebite, that is :biggrin:

And absolutely no need to change your name - it's pretty! One day soon you'll be an Aes Sedai anyway *grins and crosses fingers hopefully*

I can imagine that there's a lot to take in. People often get hopelessly lost between the Social Groups and the RP Groups - I know I did when I first got here! Most people here absolutely love newbies, though, so they'll just laugh, snuggle you and help you out if you get confused. Don't be afraid to ask people questions, either.

Here's my free tip for today - got check out each area of DM before you start joining various places. They all have open boards where you can read about them or even post without having to be a member.

Welcome to Dragonmount Namine!! :D

So I'm new here. Obviously, I love the WOT series, though I haven't quite made myself read the companion novel yet. I tend to read series more for character development than the down and dirty of the plot. I've read the series a few times, but this is the first time I've stumbled on this site so I'm pretty excited. I'm not too familiar with online forums, though, and I'm wondering how to go about getting an avatar. :)

I totally agree. I love to see how the characters grow from insecure youths to these powerful men and women. Sometimes people look at me funny because I'm less invested in THE END OF THE WORLD aspect of the book and more into the actual characters. But hey, each to their own, right?

It's sooo hard to pick a favorite, and believe me, I love the story as well. I think Mat is definitely up there, but he didn't make it until at least book 3. I have always loved Nynaeve and her relationship with Lan, and then Aviendha just cracks me up. I love her perception of the other characters, and I think her outlook lends so much to the series. I like Egwene, but she can be a little too serious at times. Siuan is somewhere in the list as well. I think just as fun as watching the characters develop is watching the relationships develop, and she and Gareth are pretty entertaining.

I LOVE the relationship between Nynaeve and Lan. And well, I love Nyn as well. I actually have little slips of paper from the first books where I wrote down all the pages of any Nyn mention lol I was 16 at the time so a lot more driven and obsessed than I am now :D I'm also a fan of Mat and Siuan. Less so of Egwene.

By the way, apologies in advance if I get a little post happy at first. I am not only at the end of my quarter and taking time off from work for a shoulder injury, but also just excited to finally have someone to discuss these books with. I literally have not ONE friend who has gotten past book 6 or 7.

There's absolutely nothing wrong about being post happy. And yeah, it's funny how most people can't seem to find friends around them that read the entirety of the series (or read the series at all). It's what makes Dragonmount so valuable to me.

I definitely looked into it, but I'll admit I was a bit intimidated by the rules. I thought I might give myself some time to be aquainted with the decorum involved before jumping in and making an @ss of myself. lol. I created my name before I fully checked into the site...was I breaching some protocol? Should I change it? :/ I've been a bit overwhelmed having discovered this site today, and then all of the RP and everything else. It's been great, but also...a lot. :)

Totally understandable. Most newcomers feel intimidated by the sheer size of DM. And there's just so much to see. Some people just sort of storm through all the sections, signing up for everything. It works out for some, not so much for others. A different approach is to choose one section on DM, get a feel of it and after feeling established enough, branching out to other parts on DM. That works well for most.

I know that everything can look like a lot to swallow, but it gets more simple, I promise. The more you look around, the more questions you ask, the more stickies you read. It's just a matter of taking it in moderation rather than looking in all directions at once.

I will be thrilled to help you out and hopefully simplify things for you. So if you have any questions or want me to try to better explain DM's layout and what options you have, feel free to shoot me a private message and I'll do my best to help you out :D

Cheers,

Nyn

Elgee if you get those brownies, share them with Namine, we don't want to show Newbies we are greedy. Keep them away from me, I hate chocolates.

Welcome Namine, feel free to wander here because you won't get lost before someone coming to help you.

Archived