DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is the One Power

Pug

I think that the One Power is the power of the Creator, and he uses it to move the Wheel of Time.

Saidin rushes forward and pushes the Wheel of Time forward so that ages can come and pass, where as Saidar is the power that stops the Wheel from spinning too fast, it is what gives that pattern time to form and not some mess.

Thoughts.....

I disagree. One reason-

1. I do not think the Creator has anything whatsoever to do with the Wheel of Time after its creation

That's all, carry on.

Then what is that voice Rand hears in Tarwin's Gap in TEoTW?

Personally, I think the Power is the driving force of the Universe. I don't think it's the creator's essence, but rather the tool he put in place to make his other tool (the Wheel of Time) work.

I think that the One Power is the power of the Creator, and he uses it to move the Wheel of Time.

It doesn't mash with the way the Creator is described--the Creator doesn't seem to care much, certainly not enough for active effot, and everything else about the Wheel of Time seems designed to be self-sustaining--the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, retaining its own self-corrective machenisms including Heroes and ta'veren and so forth, I see no reason why it wouldn't be equiped with its own power source, or why the Creator would involve himself directly on this aspect, but not on any other....

Then what is that voice Rand hears in Tarwin's Gap in TEoTW?

We don't know. Most assume it was the Creator, but RJ and Team Jordan have very specifically not answered this for twenty years now. :)

Saidin rushes forward and pushes the Wheel of Time forward so that ages can come and pass, where as Saidar is the power that stops the Wheel from spinning too fast, it is what gives that pattern time to form and not some mess.

Thoughts.....

Close..

The One Power comes from the True Source, the driving force of Creation. The male half of the True Source, saidin, and the female half, saidar, work against each other and with each other to provide the force that turns the Wheel of Time. The True Source cannot be used up just as a river cannot be used up by a mill wheel.

BTW.. why is it called the One Power, not just the Power?

Probably a result of squabbling between the Creator and the Dark One.

"Hey Shai'tan, I've just invented this new thing, I'll be able to do amazing things with it. Think I might call it the Power."

"You utter bugger! That's the name of the thing I was working on, you always steal my thunder!"

"STFU! Only I can have power. It's the one and only Power. It's the One Power! I am so going to put you in a prison!"

"Whatever dude, mine is the best, the only true Power."

And such and such.

Guest Czechs In The M'Hael

Thoughts.....

Close..

The One Power comes from the True Source, the driving force of Creation. The male half of the True Source, saidin, and the female half, saidar, work against each other and with each other to provide the force that turns the Wheel of Time. The True Source cannot be used up just as a river cannot be used up by a mill wheel.

BTW.. why is it called the One Power, not just the Power?

The One Power as a name encompasses both saidin and saidar, right? They seem like two seperate Powers almost, with the diffeent rules etc. I think its called the ONE Power because only when used together in a circle can you achieve the best stuff with it. One could almost think that saidin and saidar seperately used are not fully the One Power. So maybe the name is a reference of circles and links.

In our world terms? Whatever makes up all energy. Think of being able to manipulate individual atoms with your mind to create anything.

In the book? I still feel it's the same thing, given RJ's background. I mean obviously you add some fantasy elements to it.

Edit: Like Threads being Atoms for example. Edit 2: Like when whoever it was unraveled the weave, created a splitting the atom affect superweapon.

Archived