DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Neccessary

Darth Tron

I may have neglected something, but to my knowledge Tuon is the only character specifically referenced obeying nature's call, when she heads to the restroom in that hell Mat takes her to. My question is, after pretty much the whole series, why all of a sudden take the time to mention this? Is this in any way significant? We all know Jordan didn't accidentally put things in...

Guest Czechs In The M'Hael

Its because she went for a dump and blocked the pipes. We will hear about the repercussions in AMoL

From what I've heard (I don't have a quote or anything so this is just anecdotal from my memory), people were giving RJ a hard time for have so much description in his writing but never mentioning people using the bathroom. So he threw this in as a sort of joke in response. I believe the mid-wife tasting Elayne's pee is part of this as well. Kind of a "you really want me mentioning bodily functions, watch this!".

I distinctly remember something about Perrin's Goldeneyes straining due to some activity, I think it had something to do with processing all that red meat out of his system. Plus let's not forget how he "marked" Faile as his own, like any normal wolfbrother would do.

Guest Czechs In The M'Hael

I distinctly remember something about Perrin's Goldeneyes straining due to some activity, I think it had something to do with processing all that red meat out of his system. Plus let's not forget how he "marked" Faile as his own, like any normal wolfbrother would do.

OH GREAT

Now all I can picture is...

Faile will you stand still for Gods sake Im trying to leave my scent on your foot

hehehe, glad to help plant that image there. Lol just thought of another title/nickname for Perrin, not sure if it's PG-13 though :unsure:

Thank you for ruining the whole character for me. Just after he had redeemed himself in my eyes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

From what I've heard (I don't have a quote or anything so this is just anecdotal from my memory), people were giving RJ a hard time for have so much description in his writing but never mentioning people using the bathroom. So he threw this in as a sort of joke in response. I believe the mid-wife tasting Elayne's pee is part of this as well. Kind of a "you really want me mentioning bodily functions, watch this!".

Yeah, it was this.

Yeah, it was this.

Yeah, I brought up this point a lot in the thread about the gay male character, lol. 'Twas a very relevant point, considering the nature of the complaints.

Are there no oblique references to 'the necessary' in the early books when various subgroups are travelling through the wilderness? I'm sure it's mentioned in connection to Egwene or Nynaeve or someone.

hehehe, glad to help plant that image there. Lol just thought of another title/nickname for Perrin, not sure if it's PG-13 though :unsure:

P(ee)-puppy?

Perrin "Golden Showers" Aybara

Lol, it would fit him well. And the urine-testing thing is such RJ humor =)

Are there no oblique references to 'the necessary' in the early books when various subgroups are travelling through the wilderness? I'm sure it's mentioned in connection to Egwene or Nynaeve or someone.

Oblique references only - as in, chamber pots are mentioned a few times, privies a couple of times, and never in reference to anyone actually using them.

Yeah, obviously that was RJ's philosophy. But some people feel like the books aren't realistic when the characters never have to use the bathroom. In a sense, I can relate, especially when you're in someone's POV and they're all over the place, and drinking wine to boot, and they never have to go.

You remind me of one particularly hilariously boring (an odd contradiction, and one not every writer can pull off) chapter from So Long and Thanks for All the Fish which ends with the following (in the interest of keeping these boards PG-13 I didn't quote the entire paragraph. Those unfamiliar with it can look it up at their own peril):

"This Arthur Dent," comes the cry from the farthest reaches of the galaxy, and has even now been found inscribed on a deep space probe thought to originate from an alien galaxy at a distance too hideous to contemplate, "what is he, man or mouse? Is he interested in nothing more than tea and the wider issues of life?"

• 2 weeks later...

I really dont get this fascination lately with reading about every single detail involved in the protagonists point of view. I wanna see my heroes be heroes, dag nabbit, not use the port-o-john.

I think some authors can make this work, and keep the hero part intact, or even give it more appeal.

For instance, Tyrion pissing from the top of the Wall in GoT(pissing over the top of the world as he call it) was totally epic, at least from my pov.

I really dont get this fascination lately with reading about every single detail involved in the protagonists point of view. I wanna see my heroes be heroes, dag nabbit, not use the port-o-john.

I think some authors can make this work, and keep the hero part intact, or even give it more appeal.

For instance, Tyrion pissing from the top of the Wall in GoT(pissing over the top of the world as he call it) was totally epic, at least from my pov.

Great call...

of course there is also the privy scene involving Tyrion and a crossbow hahahaha. but it's definitely a matter of taste. i could do without a lot of the NC-17 stuff found in ASOIAF. Although, now that I think about it, any adaptation of WoT would probably need to eliminate most, if not all, of the prevalent nudity...

Archived