DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's Luck and stolen ter'angreal

Mowbray

I don't know whether this fact has been brought to light or not.

In the third book of WoT (The Dragon Reborn), when Liandrin and her colleagues go on a killing and stealing spree, they steal many ter'angreals. Since then, we have seen the use of every ter'angreal they had, except the one Elayne described as "the one which somehow alters luck."Given the fact that such a ter'angreal is more dangerous than a balefire-causing rod, why hasn't it been brought to light yet?

Mat's luck has been the focal point of the entire series up to now. So much focused that even the mention of Rand's ability to alter events and Perrin's wolfish traits seem to be mere shadows. As far as I have understood RJ, he never emphasises things vigorously, unless there's something important in it. And also, this man never mentions things he's not expecting them to appear again. In such a case, is it very likely that the ter'angreal-user is DO's Mat.

Moreover, Perrin saw a vision of Mat fighting himself, while a shadow comes from behind. I doubt that's gollam, as Mat's aware of the beast. Can that shadow - or those twelve Mats - be somehow related with the ter'angreal.

What do you think friends?

I think there are other threads about this, but I'm not sure. In which book and which chapter is that vision of Perrin? I can't remember me that one, because I've read most Perrin parts only once (I never fully reread. Only parts).

Regarding the dice ter'angreal, it was a popular belief for a while that Lanfear used it on Mat when they met (he felt a chill), which was responsible for his luck. However, RJ quashed that theory, saying she only Delved him, and that his luck had nothing to do with it:

Question: In The Dragon Reborn, Lanfear visits Mat as he is recuperating from his One Power surgery over the dagger. At one point she stretches out her hand towards him and he feels a tingle going over him, somebody interrupts them, and she turns her head and sobs, at about the same time a member of Black Ajah stole angreal and ter'angreal6 out of the Tower cache, one of which was a ter'angreal that was known to have some effect on chance. So it was about this time that Mat's really really really weird luck and the dice rolling in his head began. Is this a connection or coincidence?

Jordan: That is a coincidence. When they say that Mat has the Dark One's own luck, he can get as mad as he wants to, but in a way it is true. It wasn't a gift from Lanfear, though.

Question Part 2: In that case, what was Lanfear doing?

Jordan: She was checking his health.

Regarding the dice ter'angreal, it was a popular belief for a while that Lanfear used it on Mat when they met (he felt a chill), which was responsible for his luck. However, RJ quashed that theory, saying she only Delved him, and that his luck had nothing to do with it:

Question: In The Dragon Reborn, Lanfear visits Mat as he is recuperating from his One Power surgery over the dagger. At one point she stretches out her hand towards him and he feels a tingle going over him, somebody interrupts them, and she turns her head and sobs, at about the same time a member of Black Ajah stole angreal and ter'angreal6 out of the Tower cache, one of which was a ter'angreal that was known to have some effect on chance. So it was about this time that Mat's really really really weird luck and the dice rolling in his head began. Is this a connection or coincidence?

Jordan: That is a coincidence. When they say that Mat has the Dark One's own luck, he can get as mad as he wants to, but in a way it is true. It wasn't a gift from Lanfear, though.

its disappointing no one had asked why they stole that ter angreal then..

My impression it was done as much to deny the Aes Sedai access to them, as anything else. Certainly the Forsaken never claimed them, nor do they need any of those that we've seen.

My impression it was done as much to deny the Aes Sedai access to them, as anything else. Certainly the Forsaken never claimed them, nor do they need any of those that we've seen.

I doubt that is the case. As far as I have seen, DO has used everything that has been stolen so far, and he won't be ordering something to be stolen specifically unless he knows he haa need for it himself.

What I feel is it has to do with Egwene's viewing about Mat dicing with the DO. This thing has not happened yet. I have a feeling that more than Rand or Perrin, Mat's segment of Amol is going to be more brutal, interesting, bloody and significant.

To cap it all, DO has made more life-threatening attacka on Mat than on Perrin and even Rand. That creally shows where the story is moving to, and that bloody ter'angreal will play the more significant part than anything else.

Mat dicing with the DO. This thing has not happened yet.

I actually think that was about Mat's race with Rahvin's man to save the supergirls. Mat even thought of it in those terms:

"Stakes. Gaebril doesn’t know it, but he and I have a wager." The cat jumped down as Mat picked up the wooden dice cup and spun the dice out on the table. Five sixes. "And I always win."

I think there are other threads about this, but I'm not sure. In which book and which chapter is that vision of Perrin? I can't remember me that one, because I've read most Perrin parts only once (I never fully reread. Only parts).

ToM, Chapter 4-The Pattern Groans, page 92

Archived