DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Death Toll In AMOL

Limedust

All right. It's been bandied about in other threads, but I want to sort of get it into the open here: Who should die in AMOL? And who should LIVE. I am personally looking for an epic amount of main character death, though I don't see that really happening. Here's my list and the reasons.

Death

1: Al Lan Mandragoran--everything else has been taken away, why not his life? it would be almost unbearable for a guy like that to live through the last battle and then have to deal with the world any more.

2: Gawyn Trakand--a personal thing. He's not nearly the bad ass he thinks he is and I think Hammar should have killed him during the insurrection in the Tower.

3: Loial: He's just to nice and sweet to live. The tragedy of his death would be a great centerpiece of the books. No history of the Dragon by a close acquaintance would also help with "clearing away the rubble" of a remarkably troubled time.

4: Nynaeve Al Meara: I love her. She has to die. It would make everything much more poignant. She's the only one left from the two Rivers who unconditionally supports Rand.

5: Perrin and Faile Aybara: The Two Rivers don't need no stinking lords or ladies. The potential conflict between Perrin and Elayne would be unnecessarily bitter, particularly for the people of the Two Rivers. They've done their duty. Let them back into the fold of Andor and call it a day.

6: Aveiehnda, Min, Elayne: Rand won't be able to have a life after Tarmon Gaidon (provided he survives) with these three women. As he would undoubtedly lose it if one died and be unbearable to the remaining two,, so the three dying would clear the way for a simple, hermit-like existence post Tarmon Gaidon.

Those Who Should Live:

1: Galad Damodred: A Force For Good in the world, one who does do what's right, no matter what, and not what is expedient. he will be a an example, contrary to the Eamon Valda model, that will purify the Whitecloaks.

2: Egwene Al Vere: Strong, capable, irritating. Neverthless, a good choice to lead the Aes Sedai, and one who personifies the change that will inevitably take place after Tarmon Gaidon.

3: Rand Al Thor: Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time. Let this poor man go home Jordan. I can easilly see Rand giving up all the trappings of his royalty and power. He deserves a simple life, and that's all he really wants. Plus, it would be amazing to have a descritption of his survival--the realization that he won, that there is nothing left to do, and he managed to live through it.

4: Matrim Cauthon: Mat's too cool to die. He's the only character that is really still himself.

Now, this is my list, but its only the way I want things, not how I envision them happening. So, please, no flaming about evidence and what not. This is my ideal.

Note that there is no relationship between how much I like a character and whether or not I think they should die. Most of the ones I think should die are my favorites.

DEATH:

MIN: Thought I love Min she has to die. Although Rand is destined to love three women I still think that Min is his one true love (his favorite of the three if you will). She is the only one who has been at Rand's side through it all and functionally acts as a girlfirend/wife. I could see her death acting as a device to get Rand good and pissed off before he faces the DO.

TAM AL'THOR: I'd like to see him and Rand meet up again and have a good heart to heart first but I think his death could serve a similar purpose as Min's in making Rand's battle with the DO personal.

NYNAEVE AL'MEARA: Throughout the series she has been deticated to protecting the other Emond's Feilders. Therefore, I could see her sacraficing her life to save one or more of them. Plus it would add another bit of tragedy to the already tragedy ridden life of Lan.

LAN: For all the reasons listed in the origional post.

THOM MERRILIN: Having helped Rand to fulfill his destiny Thom will finally be able to come to terms with his failure to save his nephew, Owen. He will die but will be able to rest in peace (I know he is destined to marry Moraine, but I thing the marriage will be a short one).

GAWYN: He's a snot nosed little punk who has gotten too big for his britches. Seems like the sort of character who see the error of his ways only after it is too late.

MORAINE: I think she will be back to play a significant role in TG. However, she will ultimaltly die (again) because there will nothing left for her after TG. She will have fulfilled her plan to guide and prepare the Dragon Reborn for TG. Egwene will be there to lead the White Tower and one way or another she will have lost her Warder. Thus the best she can hope for is to become the Sitter for the Blue Ajah and that would be to anticlimatic a fate for her. Moraine needs to go out in a blaze of glory.

LIVE:

MAT: Because you just can't keep this guy down. He's died more times than any other character but always manages to come back. Also they will need him aroud to help with post TG relations with the Seanchan. Maybe he will finally bring those people to their senses.

PERRIN AND FAILE: There are many lords and ladies in Randland but very few nobles. Perrin and Faile are just the sort of honest leaders that are going to be needed in the post TG world. The Two Rivers can't just fall back into the fold of Andor. The blood of Mantherane is strong within the people, they were never meant to be small villagers and need to once again be part of a great nation. Who better to lead the new Mantherane into the 4th age than hometown boy Perrin (who I suspect is Aemaon reborn).

RAND: Prophecy aside, I really hope that Rand will find a way to survive TG and will be able to live a quiet life in the countryside of new Mantherane. He deserves it after all he's been through.

ELAYNE: Like I said, the post TG world will need good and honest leaders. She is destined to become the great Aes Sedai queen of Andor.

EGWENE: Another good and honest leader for the post TG world. Destined to become the greatest Amyrlin Seat of all time.

LOGAIN: The ultimate sucess story, goes from stilled false dragon to glorious head of the Black Tower who will lead the Asha'man trimphantly into the 4th age.

GALAD: I agree that he will reform the Childran of the Light and turn them into a respectable organization that truly serves the light.

LOIAL: Yes, his death would add tragedy to the story but it would just be way TOO tragic. Killing off Loial would be like kicking a puppy. I think he should live for all the reason you think he should die.

/agree with the last post! Its very interesting to see how people view different characters and whether or not they'll live or die. My overall thought is that we have ALOT to accomplish in the last book, and I really don't see RJ spending time and dedicating pages to the massive amounts of deaths listed above (i'm glad you guys aren't writing the last book :D ) I think there are going to be a very select group of people that wont make it and I think that it will really make their individual deaths mean something. Might as well have at it!

DEATH:

TAM AL'THOR: He's joining Rands mother- thats kind of an easy one IMO, sorry Tam, but you've played your part and its time to move on.

THOM MERRILIN: I can definately see this one happening (although i'd be interested in someone explaining to me how he's "destined to marry Moiraine"...i must have missed something- I thought he'd end up back with Morgase if anything)- he's lived a long life and he's proven before that he'll sacrifice himself to save others. At some point between the beginning of the book and the Last Battle, I think he'll sacrifice himself again- but this time, he'll pay w/ his life.

MAT: Although I can't say for sure that he's going to die, I think he's a pretty good candidate if any of the "major" characters are going to die. Luck can only take you so far and I think he's going to be in the heart of this battle and i'm 50/50 on whether he can walk out of it alive.

RAND: To live you must die...what the HELL does that mean? oh man, i can't wait to find out. My two theories: either LTT somehow gets "killed" and thats how Rand "dies" and keeps his own sanity, or the whole body swap thing with Moridin that we've all beaten to death. I will actually think its a little sad if he does live though- in a weird way. I just can't see how he can live after destroying the world to save it again. I can't see how he can live after experiencing so much pain in these last few years, and most importantly, how can the 4th age truly move forward if the Dragon is still alive.....just doesn't add up to me- as much as it'll kill me to see it happen, Rand has to die- he has to die the death of a hero....and unfortunately Min has to come with him

MIN: Unlike Elyane and Aviendha, Min doens't have a country or an entire people to lead- all she has in this world is Rand, so i'm linking their lives together. If Rand lives, Min lives. If Rand dies, Min dies.

Thats all i've got guys! I could possibly see Galad dying as well- what better way to allow him to immortalize himself as the new icon for the Whitecloaks than someone like him that leads them to their greatest glory and dies for their cause? But i'm reaching now.

Bottom line? Not a lot of deaths- it would be way to cumbersome for RJ to wrap up if he had to close the door on so many major character's stories. We have so many other "B" characters that could die and still invoke alot of sadness: Gaul, Davram Bashere, Cadsuane (actually- she's dead too.....add her to the list :? ), Morgase, Berelain....the list goes on and on- no sense in killing off >50% of the main characters. There is going to be enough destruction at the end of the series- I think the core list of favorites needs to be alive to help keep the world together and salvage whats left.

Characters that will definately live:

Perrin

Faile

Lan

Nynaeve

Egwene

Elayne

Moraine

Loail

Logain

Funny thing is though- I think anyone could make a great argument either way on why any character in the book should live or die- thats the beauty of the WOT- who knows!?!?!

Death:

Rand

Lan

Cadsuane

Rhuarc

Davram Bashere

Birgitte

Verin

Live:

Egwene

Nynaeve

Elayne

Min

Aviendha

Galad

Perrin

Faile

Mat

Loial

Moiraine

Logain

• 2 weeks later...

Quote "3: Rand Al Thor: Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time. Let this poor man go home Jordan. I can easilly see Rand giving up all the trappings of his royalty and power. He deserves a simple life, and that's all he really wants. Plus, it would be amazing to have a descritption of his survival--the realization that he won, that there is nothing left to do, and he managed to live through it" Unquote

He should die in the process though, and somehow live on like the Finns have hinted at

Nynaeve is destined to die, mark my words. There is more than one forshadowing of her death. The Wise Ones (I think) tell her Lan will die the day he learns she is dead. To me, this suggests she is going to die in TG, still not bonded to him. I think her death would be incredibly potent for the story, and would motivate a strong end to Lan's character arc.

Also, I have a feeling Faile might kick the bucket, though that might just be very wishful thinking, as of all the characters, I actually dislike her as a character. I know people moan all the time about Cadsuane, Elayne, Egwene etc, I personally quite like them as characters (though probably not if they were real people!), but Faile I do dislike. And I think Perrin is destined for Berelain, who has grown on me as the series went on. Min (I believe) connected her to a man in white, and what better metaphor for a married man is there than a man in white?

As much as I hate to shoot down theories because I love reading what everyone thinks. Matrim Cauthon and Tuon Sur Paendrag will definitly live thru Tarmon Gai'don.

A quote from RJ's Blog November 8th:

"So there you have it. Oh, finishing A Memory of Light, of course, and getting started on Mat and Tuon, and some others, five to ten years after the Last Battle."

Yay! Mat lives! I don't think he meant to let that one slip but there you have it, straight from the "creator's" mouth. lol :D

Min (I believe) connected her to a man in white' date=' and what better metaphor for a married man is there than a man in white?[/quote']

How about a man named Galad? A man in a white cloak after all! And shouldn't the World's hottest woman and man-candy hook up and make bootifool babies? :lol:

Min, Elayne and Aviendha HAVE to survive TG. Maybe in an ideal world they could one or all die but outside of ideal fancy, if everyone else dies those three have to survive until the event in Min's Viewing. one or all could die a nano-second after the viewing but they have to survive until that point.

Archived