DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Here's an interesting Trivia Question for you...

MikeKweller

In the entirety of the Wheel of Time series, each character has a unique name and backstory, regardless of how much screen time they have, and how, in TSR, Nynaeve thinks about how there lots of people in the world named [Whatever The Name Was].

Discounting aliases (eg, Siuan calling herself Mara Tomanes in FoH, naming herself after a little known Aes Sedai), can you think of two characters in the Wheel of Time that have the same first name?

I'll even give you a clue- the first character with the name is in The Shadow Rising. The second character's name comes up in Knife of Dreams.

There's no prize or anything. Just curious if anyone else caught it.

Good luck.

-Tycho

Discounting aliases (eg, Siuan calling herself Mara Tomanes in FoH, naming herself after a little known Aes Sedai), can you think of two characters in the Wheel of Time that have the same first name?

I'll even give you a clue- the first character with the name is in The Shadow Rising. The second character's name comes up in Knife of Dreams.

Egeanin thought of a Seanchan woman named Leilwin in TSR, and was later given the same name by Tuon. I think that was in CoT, though.

Egeanin thought of a Seanchan woman named Leilwin in TSR, and was later given the same name by Tuon. I think that was in CoT, though.

Holy crap.

I bow to a knowledge far greater than my own. And my apologies for getting the book wrong. I'm in a re-read right now, and just started FoH.

-Tycho

I bow to a knowledge far greater than my own. And my apologies for getting the book wrong. I'm in a re-read right now, and just started FoH.

I only remembered it because I reread TSR recently and thought it was a funny coincidence that Egeanin knew a Leilwin. :wink: Otherwise I'm pretty bad at remembering minor characters' names.

The woman wasn't Seanchan, she was from Tarabon I believe?

Um, there's quite a few people that share first names. Admittedly most are in the Two Rivers, but still...

There's multiple Jaims and Jacs and Jaks and Jennets and Jolines and Jons and Joris and Jurads. and that's just J's.

Another example is that there's a driver Herid that fell halfway through the doorway ter'angreal in TFoH, and of course the philosopher Herid Fel at Rand's school. Herid fell and Herid Fel? :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the one in question (the one in TSR and then in KoD) is one of the folks in the Battle of the Two Rivers and then another Two Rivers man by that name shows up in KoD to fight at the battle of Malden. Possibly Hu Al'Dai and Hu Barran (who's actually mentioned as early as TEotW)?

Of all those J's, I know only one Jac (al'Seen) and one Joline (Maza) :smile:

BTW Sid, while we're on the topic, I was looking for that old thread where you'd have to locate a quote someone posted. I can't find it anywhere. Do have any idea where it went?

Of all those J's, I know only one Jac (al'Seen) and one Joline (Maza) :smile:

BTW Sid, while we're on the topic, I was looking for that old thread where you'd have to locate a quote someone posted. I can't find it anywhere. Do have any idea where it went?

after rechecking, there is actually only one Joline :blush: There's a Aiel Maiden named Jolien that was with Aviendha when she first met Elayne, Egwene, and Nyneave in TDR.

As far as that other thread, the first one 'Name that Paragraph' was deleted when the board changed over to the new format. The other ones that sprang up 'who am I' and 'who said that' or 'stump the board' or whatever they're called got moved to the general discussion area, into the games sub-forum, which was renamed as the DM Mafia games sub-forum.

Cheating a bit by checking Encyclopedia WOT, I didn't have to go further than A to find Adine Canford (AS of the blue) and Adine Lewin (from TR), plus Aeldra (woman in Tanchico) and Aeldra Najaf (another AS of the blue) and several other A-pairs as well.

What is the name shared by most characters? :unsure: There are 4 Jac, 5 Jon and six Jaim. Any name that can beat that?

I guess there is indeed plenty more, if you look for them. Still it's one of the things I been thinking of. In RL there are certain names that are very popular, and often children are named after the parents idols, kings and queens etc. In Randland, finding two characters with the same name is very rare. I can understand it from a reason of not confusing the reader, but it still doesn't feel "real" to me.

Makes me wonder if all the "off-screen" characters have common names or if the millions that we don't hear of also have their individual names?

I recall Egwene's child in the World of the Test-For-Accepted-Terangreal was named Joiya, which of course was also the name of one of the Black Ajah.

Also, I can recall the name Bili being used for at least three different people, two of whom were minor characters and one being the name of the character in the children's story "Bili Under the Hill."

The woman wasn't Seanchan, she was from Tarabon I believe?

Leilwin was indeed a Tarabonner, she was kidnapped by Floran Gelband (and offscreen made da'covale) who was at the time sort of working for Egeanin, when they escape from Bander Eban, Egeanin chooses the name Leilwin, she even states it was a Tarabonner name, then when Tuon finds out, formally gives her the name Leilwin Shipless

Archived