DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's mother

anthonypero

Hey folks. I just wanted to get some thoughts from you guys on something:

Will anyone other than Rand ever figure out that Tigraine is Rand's mom? Will Galad ever find out Rand is his brother? Will this play into the ending of the series at all? Or was this simply interesting backstory that really has no bearing on the series at all?

Will anyone other than Rand ever figure out that Tigraine is Rand's mom? Will Galad ever find out Rand is his brother? Will this play into the ending of the series at all? Or was this simply interesting backstory that really has no bearing on the series at all?

I don't know that it is important to the final book, but I would love to see Galad and Rand hug it out as brothers. That would be a big deal for the Whitecloaks to see methinks.

Some people believe that Verin figured it out. She certainly has the means to do so - she had met Luc in the Two Rivers, heard the Trollocs chanting 'Isam', and she is the one who discovered the Dark Prophecy:

Luc came to the Mountains of Dhoom.

Isam waited in the high passes.

The hunt is now begun. The Shadow's hounds now

course, and kill.

One did live, and one did die, but both are.

And she wrote a letter to Galad. We just have to figure out why Verin thought this information was important enough to pass on to Galad (assuming that's what the letter says).

Edit: Just realized I went from talking about Rand being Galad's brother to Luc and Isam being the same person. Doesn't make much sense, does it? Oh well...some people still believe Verin figured it out, but I think it more likely Moiraine figured it out. If she ever got the story of Rand's parents out of Egwene, then it's almost certain.

The books show that Rand is aware he has a brother, but he doesn't appear to have connected the dots to Galad. Or else, if he has, he has not considered it in a POV.

Most readers list this meeting among the things they look forward to the most. As do I. Rand only has one living blood relative, unless you count the other Mantear house members... a loose connection at best. He is not related to the Damodreds, bear in mind.

The books show that Rand is aware he has a brother, but he doesn't appear to have connected the dots to Galad. Or else, if he has, he has not considered it in a POV.

Well he knows that Tigraine is his mom. He heard the Wise One's story about Shail and how she left a husband she didn't love and an infant she did. He was worried that he was related to Elayne. We can be pretty sure that he knows Galad is his brother.

I think this is more likely with Brandon at the reigns than RJ. That's not a criticism, just an observation--Brandon seems to like to hit these notes. For instance note how he makes sure everyone knows Rand and Nynaeve cleansed the Taint, or how he has the Seanchan suddenly realise that maybe the weapon used at Ebou Dar wasn't a weapon.

He seems more inclined to give closure.

And yeah, I've seen the 'Verin-told-Galad-in-her-letter' theory around too. It'd work, though frankly I'd hope for more... so far Verin's letters have been a bit anti-climatic.

If the Wise Ones or Egwene ever told Moiraine the story about Shaiel (which seem likely) and didn't omit mentioning that Gitara Moroso sent her to the Waste, she was probably able to connect the dots. She knew Gitara Moroso was at Caemlyn as an Aes Sedai advisor to the Queen during the time Shaiel came to the Waste, and she probably have seen Tigraine or at least a portrait of her since she married her half-brother Taringail. And Rand looks a lot like his mother.

If the Wise Ones or Egwene ever told Moiraine the story about Shaiel (which seem likely) and didn't omit mentioning that Gitara Moroso sent her to the Waste, she was probably able to connect the dots. She knew Gitara Moroso was at Caemlyn as an Aes Sedai advisor to the Queen during the time Shaiel came to the Waste, and she probably have seen Tigraine or at least a portrait of her since she married her half-brother Taringail. And Rand looks a lot like his mother.

Didn't Dyelin stare at him when they first met? Seems I remember her looking at him intently.

And yeah, I've seen the 'Verin-told-Galad-in-her-letter' theory around too. It'd work, though frankly I'd hope for more... so far Verin's letters have been a bit anti-climatic.

IIRC, we've only seen one so far (Mat's).

Didn't Dyelin stare at him when they first met? Seems I remember her looking at him intently.

IIRC she's not the only 1 in Caemlyn who "looks at him intently"

To me that's always seemed a little unrealistic, since people don't generally look THAT much like their parents. And it was the same with Janduin and Luc. My brother and I look a lot alike, but no one who knows me would meet my brother and immediately think, 'You must be Terez's brother!'

We have seen what looks to be the result of rands. Alsalam, weiramon and anaiyella.

We have seen what looks to be the result of rands. Alsalam, weiramon and anaiyella.

thought that was rands df vision going to work

That's what most people thought, but the clues indicate that Verin tipped him off in the letter. How much of his confrontation with them was for show, we don't know, but it looks to me as though he tested them by forcing them to look him in the eyes. Only when they couldn't did he know. That's why Rand said to Weiramon, 'So it is you!' (Or something like that.) That's why he lined up the Tairen High Lords and Ladies in the first place. There's nothing to indicate he can recognize a Darkfriend on sight, and the reaction in Maradon was extreme most likely because Rand was channeling so strongly. Certainly Weiramon and Anaiyella didn't react to him that way.

Elaida did have a foretelling that the royal blood of Andor was key to defeating the Dark One, which is why she attached herself to Morgase when she became queen. So maybe it has something to do with Rand and Galad.

Elaida did have a foretelling that the royal blood of Andor was key to defeating the Dark One, which is why she attached herself to Morgase when she became queen. So maybe it has something to do with Rand and Galad.

Or it's just referring to Tigraine as at the time of Elaidas foretelling she was part of the Royal House of Andor. IIRC its mentioned in the books that Elaidas foretelling was 25 years before the start of the books and Tigraine ran away about 22 years before the books (a few years after the foretelling) I'm sure thats what the books say coz I can remember thinking as I read an Elaida POV in one of the books that she was tying herself to Andor in vain as her foretelling had already come true.BUT if thats true RJ might just have wanted us to think it had been fulfilled and the Royal house of Andor still has a major role to play. Forgive me if I am wrong, I don't have all the details of the books known off by heart like some :wink:

Or it's just referring to Tigraine as at the time of Elaidas foretelling she was part of the Royal House of Andor. IIRC its mentioned in the books that Elaidas foretelling was 25 years before the start of the books and Tigraine ran away about 22 years before the books (a few years after the foretelling) I'm sure thats what the books say coz I can remember thinking as I read an Elaida POV in one of the books that she was tying herself to Andor in vain as her foretelling had already come true.BUT if thats true RJ might just have wanted us to think it had been fulfilled and the Royal house of Andor still has a major role to play. Forgive me if I am wrong, I don't have all the details of the books known off by heart like some :wink:

EncWoT is a useful source.. :wink:

"The very first thing Elaida had ever Foretold, while still an Accepted - and had known enough even then to keep to herself - was that the Royal line of Andor would be the key to defeating the Dark One in the Last Battle."

- http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/prophecies/elaida.html

And indeed, Rand is of that Royal line.

I personally don't think this foretelling is to do with Rand, directly, as when he was born Tigraine was no longer part of the Royal House of Andor, but Tigraine was when the foretelling was first made. So you could say Rand isn't of the Royal line as Tigraine had denounced her claim to the throne before he was born. Not every foretelling and prophecy is about Rand and I just feel this one isn't directly about him. I think it has been fulfilled with Tigraine as the "key" Elaida mentions in her foretelling. Orit's still to happen which means that one of the Trakands is going to be "key" as the Trakand house is the current Royal House of Andor.

If you go with Dyelin's explanation to Rand, most of the Houses of Andor have some small per cent of royal blood (and parade those drops proudly). At various times, various houses have held the throne. Ditto Carhein, which has also intermarried into Andor for generations. So one could stretch and say any noble from Andor or Carhein might well fit the bill of being connected to the "Royal Line of Andor". RJ makes the point again and again that WoT prophesies rarely work out the way people assume they will. For all we know, Slayer (who is Rand's uncle) will be the vital key. Or as somebody says above, the Trakands will.

(Unlikely I know).

The Royal House of Andor would include, at one time or another, Galad, Elayne, Rand, Morgase, and Gawyn.

So you've got:

Queen of Camelyn and Mother of Dragon Reborn's children

Lord Captain Commander of the Children

Dragon Reborn

Warder to the Amyrlin who is reforming the White Tower in time for the last battle

Former Queen of Andor who is now lurking about with time on her hands

One way or another, I'd say the Royal Blood of Andor is key to winning the Last Battle. It can simply be that Andor's Royal Blood freaking kicks ass in any number of ways, and protecting them is kinda important :)

Archived