DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Battlestar Galactica

Werthead

So who else watches the new BSG? The few doubts I had left about it were erased by last night's episode, which ranks as the finest 44 minutes of television I've seen in the last decade. I quite liked Rome until they decided to show the Battle of Pharsalus off-screen (then whined about how expensive it would have been, whilst the BBC did an amazing CGI version of the battle for its recent history series on about 1/20th of the budget) and started messing around with history too much. Lost I remain a fan of but am getting increasingly annoyed with the lack of resolution to many of the show's mysteries. Haven't the producers learned from the mistakes of The X-Files? Nevertheless, some good ideas and characters there. Doctor Who is a fun kids' show and the new spinoff, Torchwood (starting tomorrow in the UK), should be interesting.

But BSG now blows them out of the water. I find the interesting way they pit liberal and conservative politics against one another quite refreshing (and the fact that the conservative, right-wing options sometimes win through is intriguing), and the way this season opened with clear parallels to Vichy France and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Iraqi insurgency was quite unusual for a space opera SF show. The concept of family in the show is very well-done, and the character arcs and relationships are good without descending (too far) into melodrama. Also, lest we forget, they also have really big, really cool spaceships blasting the hell out of one another from time to time as well.

Any other fans out there?

I ADORE this show. Even more so after last night's episode. I canNOT believe the stones on Adama right now.

We've got a nice little thread going about the current season going on the Seanchan board. You are more than welcome to add your thoughts there. =)

• 1 month later...

I got into Battlestar Galactica very late, only a few weeks ago in fact, and I've been going through the first two series like a hurricane. What a series. Wow. The last two episodes I watched, 1x12 and 2x01, are the best television I've ever seen and it's just getting better as I go along. I can't write proper spoilers on this board but you know what happened in the series 1 finale. I'm still boggling now. This is my boggling face: :shock: And this is my other Battlestar Galactica face: :D !

Yes. However, there is some confusion. You have to make sure you get the mini-series as well. The mini-series is the pilot for the series so you need to watch it before Season 1.

In the UK, the mini-series is only available by itself. It is not part of the Season 1 DVD set.

In the USA it was first released by itself, but later on added to the Season 1 DVD set.

As long as you get that sorted, you should be okay.

Archived