DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who would be the best swordsman or swordswoman ever

Pug

I don't know if this has been done already so if it has I'm sorry and could you please send me to where it is.

Now who is the absolute best swordsman/woman in the fantasy world?

I would have in no order...

al'Lan Mandragoran: Wheel of Time.

Kessligh: A Trial of Blood and Steel by Joe Shaphard.

Tomas and maybe Prince Arutha ConDon: From Feists books.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to Jaime, I'd also like to add:

Silchas Ruin (Malazan)

Brema dan Gorst (The Heroes)

Drizzt do'Urden

either Lan or Gawyn

I'm trying to think of someone from Warcraft but none really come to mind. Maybe Varian Wrynn.

I really wouldn't put Richard Rahl on that list, all he really does is flail about with his sword and hope he doesn't get hit. lol

In addition to Jaime, I'd also like to add:

Silchas Ruin (Malazan)

Brema dan Gorst (The Heroes)

Drizzt do'Urden

either Lan or Gawyn

I'm trying to think of someone from Warcraft but none really come to mind. Maybe Varian Wrynn.

I really wouldn't put Richard Rahl on that list, all he really does is flail about with his sword and hope he doesn't get hit. lol

Regarding Warcraft. If we were to slightly expand on the whole "sword" thing you could add Broxigar (Axe).

You cannot put Gawyn or Galad in over Lan because Word of God is Lan is the best swordsman in the Wheel of Time. Deal with it. He's that good.

However, he's only a man, warder-bond and all. Drizzit (sp?) Is classed as one of the greatest swordsmen in fantasy apparently, and for the love of God, Daseem is a demi-god.

You cannot put Gawyn or Galad in over Lan because Word of God is Lan is the best swordsman in the Wheel of Time. Deal with it. He's that good.

However, he's only a man, warder-bond and all. Drizzit (sp?) Is classed as one of the greatest swordsmen in fantasy apparently, and for the love of God, Daseem is a demi-god.

Word of God? Do you mean by that that RJ said something about that?

Word of God? Do you mean by that that RJ said something about that?

"I asked him who is the best swordsman right now--Lan, Galad, or Gawyn.

Brandon's reply: Lan. Then Galad. Then Gawyn. Gawyn is luckier than he thinks he is."

Dug that up from before Towers of Midnight was released.

Well, I don't know many books, but I wouldn't say Lan. He's too old. And Gawyn can beat Sleet time after time, while Sleet is helped by an other swordmaster. Sleet has beaten Lan two of the seven times.

Sleet was said to have gotten two oyt of seven, back when Lan still sparred against other warders. Thanks to the warder Bond, there is little reason to believe Lan has gotten any worse since then, rather quite the opposite.

Sleet was said to have gotten two oyt of seven, back when Lan still sparred against other warders. Thanks to the warder Bond, there is little reason to believe Lan has gotten any worse since then, rather quite the opposite.

Along with that, Lan being older than all of the young upstarts actually works in his favor. He's an old swordsman. Emphasis on 'old'. Surviving as long as he has in as perilous an occupation as he has? Age becomes something that a wise swordsman respects.

Going with that logic, though, Cohen the Barbarian from Discworld is by far the best swordsman in fantasy, so take it with a grain of salt. :tongue:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that General Maximus would wipe the floor with the lot of them. Simultaneously.

I have never ever before heard of General Maximus. In what series of books can I find him?

*edits*

Oh yes, now I believe I remember him. That was Maximus from the Gladiator movie. Yeah, he was fairly awesome, and I would not have a problem putting him in my top 20 list. But I would never agree that he is good enough to wipe the floor with two or more of the ones that others and myself have listed here.

Since fantasy and scifi often go hand in hand, can't believe noone has mentioned Anakin Skywalker.

If forced to use a metal sword, instead of a lighsaber, and if also forced to be unable to use the Force, then in those circumstances, I would not place Anakin Skywalker, or any of the other jedi knights from the movies in the top 20 of best fictional swordsmen of all time.

Since fantasy and scifi often go hand in hand, can't believe noone has mentioned Anakin Skywalker.

If forced to use a metal sword, instead of a lighsaber, and if also forced to be unable to use the Force, then in those circumstances, I would not place Anakin Skywalker, or any of the other jedi knights from the movies in the top 20 of best fictional swordsmen of all time.

^ this

Plus I wouldn't say Anakin was the best, I'd say maybe Mace Windu or any of the other members of the council.

Archived