DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bodycount in AMOL

Rufae

Brandon Facebook'd that... "I wonder if it would be too spoilery to post a running count of significant named #wot characters who have died so far in #AMoL."

Seeing how he is about 36% done with AMOL, this makes me think we are going to have a high bodycount in this book.

I wonder who bites the dust?

I've always expected a lot of deaths in the last book. I'm thinking Lan dies. Maybe Nynaeve as well, considering her temper and the Warder bond. I can see her going out just like the last Manatheren queen. Perhaps she'll be the one to ultimately destroy whatever Trolloc army threatens Tarwin's Gap. Maybe even make it inaccessible in the process, Breaking of the World style.

He did follow up with a: it may be zero to date, so nothing spoilery, I just thought it might be fun to keep a count. [note: paraphrase].

That being said, he's already said that there were going to be a lot of deaths in this book. I reckon this may even be a little be of pre-emption... he might be worried about killing characters we like so he's preparing us for it, lol (I will add that he's also made clear that the list of the dead was laid down by RJ).

Well lets make a list of people likely to survive or die then. Based on prophecies/RJ-BS quotes/storytelling-logic/etc.

Likely to die:

-Rand (prophecized, storytelling-logic since, what, the prologue of TEoTW?)

-Moridin (Well, same as Rand really)

-Fain (what use, story-wise or other, could he possibly have after TG?)

-Lan (heading towards death since the New Spring timeline or before even)

-Slayer (well, just about everyone both storycharacters and fandom wants him dead...awwww Hopper)

Likely to survive:

- Matt (no use planning outrigger novels for a dead guy, except when RJ was planning a Wheel of the Living Dead)

- Tuon (see Matt)

- Moiraine (been presumed dead -storywise- too long to make a return and die again)

- Logain (semantics maybe, but the idea of 'glory to come' also sounds like lasting a bit longer then the imminent armageddon)

More educated guesses?

I think we need to not get too carried away by what BS may mean by 'significant named' characters. The fact that he mentioned 'named' says to me 'significant as in yes, we'll recognise the name and they've popped up repeatedly', but doesn't necessarily mean they're all at the level of importance of e.g. Logain, Fain. The fact that there's likely to be lots of them being killed also indicates they can't ALL be top-tier or even second-tier characters.

A few, very random examples of what I might class as 'significant, named characters': Joline, Mistress Harfor, Talmanes, Romanda, Merise, Neald, Juilin Sandar. If they got killed, we wouldn't go 'who was that?', but nor would we go 'oh my GOD, earth-shattering event!!'

Nicola, Daigian and Carlinya sit at the same kind of level of importance and got bumped off pretty unceremoniously in aMoL, I expect to see More Of This Kind Of Thing.

On a side note, and a general one - early in the series, the women seemed to get off fairly lightly, mortality-wise (consider the Forsaken, for example), but recent books seem to be more than making up for it! Very dangerous times to be a non-plot-essential woman... :(

I think we need to not get too carried away by what BS may mean by 'significant named' characters. The fact that he mentioned 'named' says to me 'significant as in yes, we'll recognise the name and they've popped up repeatedly', but doesn't necessarily mean they're all at the level of importance of e.g. Logain, Fain. The fact that there's likely to be lots of them being killed also indicates they can't ALL be top-tier or even second-tier characters.

A few, very random examples of what I might class as 'significant, named characters': Joline, Mistress Harfor, Talmanes, Romanda, Merise, Neald, Juilin Sandar. If they got killed, we wouldn't go 'who was that?', but nor would we go 'oh my GOD, earth-shattering event!!'

Nicola, Daigian and Carlinya sit at the same kind of level of importance and got bumped off pretty unceremoniously in aMoL, I expect to see More Of This Kind Of Thing.

On a side note, and a general one - early in the series, the women seemed to get off fairly lightly, mortality-wise (consider the Forsaken, for example), but recent books seem to be more than making up for it! Very dangerous times to be a non-plot-essential woman... :(

I don't know. The fact that he made sure to note that they were "significant" characters makes me think that they'll be more important than that.

He did follow up with a: it may be zero to date, so nothing spoilery, I just thought it might be fun to keep a count. [note: paraphrase].

That sounds like a bit of an attempted cover up to me. Much like his "Graendal" story where he revealed her as the murderer from pre ToM.

why does everyone hates on the trakands so much? morgase maybe, but Elayne she's not bad. MAT handled her well so shes no egwene.

What did Morgase ever do? She has had one of the rougher goes of anyone in the series. People have been given little reason to hate her.

A few, very random examples of what I might class as 'significant, named characters': Joline, Mistress Harfor, Talmanes, Romanda, Merise, Neald, Juilin Sandar. If they got killed, we wouldn't go 'who was that?', but nor would we go 'oh my GOD, earth-shattering event!

I'm sorry, but if misses Harfor dies my earth will be shattered :(

I wonder if when he posted that comment on Twitter if he had just killed off someone big

When he did it, I joked that he should have followed it up with, 'so anyway, returning to writing that Rand scene'.

That sounds like a bit of an attempted cover up to me. Much like his "Graendal" story where he revealed her as the murderer from pre ToM.

In the context it seemed pretty casual. But what was the Graendal story specifically?

I think we need to not get too carried away by what BS may mean by 'significant named' characters.

I agree completely. I'm not too worried. That's probably the only major fault I can find with this series, not having to worry about someone I care about dying... but in a way it's kind of a relief :P

Lan's death is so obvious that I'm almost certain he won't die.

In the context it seemed pretty casual. But what was the Graendal story specifically?

It was hilarious, can't recall what it was exactly but it was in a video interview I watched(Dragoncon maybe? someone else could prob tell you). The basics of it though is pre release Brandon was having a discussion and said something like "Well Graendal obviously(caught himself)......has a good deal of reasons why she isn't the best candidate to be the killer." It was comedy, I'll do some digging and see if I can find it.

Random side note, but I've thought of putting an excel spreadsheet together that tracks every death/killing in the entire series - who/what died and what character did the killing.

Realizing there are some scenes that are hard to tally down, such as when Rand just walks out and wipes the floor with 100,000 trollocs, but it'd be fun. I think Mat has killed far more people than might be generally realized. The guy has been hunted for 10 books and just keeps on killing. What other non-channeler survives multiple encounters with several Forsaken, wipes out a Gholam, and kills Searing-dagger darkfriends like there is no tomorrow?

On the death front, I predict:

1. One of the Bashere's dying

2. Cadsuanne dies

3. Bode Cauthon bites it and Mat finds out and goes holy apeshit on a channeler who did it

4. Elyas dies in the act of saving Perrin somehow

5. A boatload of to-be-named Wolves die

Rand to die, twice

Elayne dies during/after childbirth

Lan dies

Nynaeve dies getting revenge in same way as the Manetheren queen (forgot her name),sad to see 1 of my fave female characters die but would be an absolute epic way to go

Slayer has his head ripped from his shoulders by Perrins hammer

Logain to kill Taim

Would like to see a battle between Fain and his Trollocs(which I'm sure will be numerous in aMoL) against Perrins army and lots of wolves. Perrin kills Fain

Mat needs a couple of epic kills if Perrin gets some. Maybe Mat can chop Demandreds head off or something, maybe a fight between Shaidar Haran and Mat. One-Power wrought Ashandarei vs Shaidar Harans super cool, ten-times as deadly Myrdraal blade, I can't recall seing him with a sword, so give him 1 if he doesn't :tongue:

Tam Al'thor dies saving Min or Elayne's life.

He dies in an epic showdown between him and....Daved Hanlon.

Daved uses a poisoned blade which cuts Tam, but Tam disembowels him with a adorably named sword move.

Every single fan puts the book down and cries.

• 3 weeks later...

- Rand- maybe both before and during the TG

- If Avi's vision fulfills at least partially, horrible though it would be- Elayne (in childbirth probably) and/or Avi herself (assuming that the "three on the boat" vision concerns Rand's pre-TG death)

- Beyond that, anyone can kick the calendar (or smell the flowers from the bottom, like we Poles say). Althought I've got a disturbing feeling, that Min's life isn't safe.

Anyway, I'd rather BS didn't reveal such things, regardless of their credibility. Well, maybe those deaths he has to deal with are just too heavy a burden, but what can we say- duty is heavier than a muntain...

Archived