DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Purpose of Perrin's Mah'alleinir

Well i was reading that "can anyone stop Fain" thread and someone brought up Perrin finishing him off.

So that got me thinking, every special item in WoT seems to have a specific purpose, even if at the time it isn't apparent right away. Like Matt's Ashandarei opening the Tower, i think Perrin's Mah'alleinir will have a "Plot Power" too.

Now, since Perrin doesn't really have any obvious plot path to whinge about and slowly trundle along now, there must be a good reason for him to have it.

What could it be?

Could it be an anti-Fain/Mashadar? After all Fain was responsible for the death of his family.

Otherwise, what other plot tool could it perform?

Cant wait to hear some ideas!

As soon as Dane Bornhald joined Perrin's army with the Children, the setup was clear to me.

Dane comes clean with the truth about his family.

Perrin's enhanced senses to see through Fain's illusions, his Hammer to break through Mash and most importantly, in line with his role and character, Justice for his family.

Don't forget it will most likely be the second time Perrin saves Rand.

All tied up in a neat little bow :wink:

As soon as Dane Bornhald joined Perrin's army with the Children, the setup was clear to me.

Dane comes clean with the truth about his family.

Perrin's enhanced senses to see through Fain's illusions, his Hammer to break through Mash and most importantly, in line with his role and character, Justice for his family.

Don't forget it will most likely be the second time Perrin saves Rand.

All tied up in a neat little bow :wink:

This is the likeliest thing to happen. like u say ties it all up nicely. Can see the scene now. Fain has Rand trapped cackling madly that nobody can defeat him, Perrin turns up, introduces Fain to Mah'alleinir, end of Fain and Mash

Only thing wrong with that, doesn't Perrin have to save Rand twice from women who can channel? If I'm right, then I think the second time will be the field of Merrilor. It could be that Perrin finishes both Fain and Slayer because Perrin is technically two entities to. He's both a wolf and a man. Don't forget there's that prophecy Tylee quoted to him, when the WolfKing carries the hammer thus are the last days known.

The hammer has so much more importance than just being a sign of the LB. There are loads of signs that the LB is imminent so for that to be the hammers only purpose would b so lame. and I always thought that the prophecy you referred too was already fulfilled when he started carrying the blacksmiths hammer instead of the axe.

Only thing wrong with that, doesn't Perrin have to save Rand twice from women who can channel? If I'm right, then I think the second time will be the field of Merrilor. It could be that Perrin finishes both Fain and Slayer because Perrin is technically two entities to. He's both a wolf and a man. Don't forget there's that prophecy Tylee quoted to him, when the WolfKing carries the hammer thus are the last days known.

There is nothing indicating that it Perrin has to save Rand specifically from women who can channel.

Min's exact viewing:

"When you two were together, I saw those fireflies and the darkness stronger than ever...But with the two of you in the same room, the fireflies were holding their own instead of being eaten faster than they can swarm, the way they do when you're alone. And there's something else I saw when you two were together. Twice he's going to have to be there, or you... If he's not, something bad will happen to you. Very bad. It will happen if he is not there, but nothing I saw said it won't because he is. It will be very bad, Rand."

Is the second time Perrin has to be near Rand not atop Dragonmount? I mean, what other purpose would there be to bring Perrin there? And Perrin felt he needed to watch.

Agreed. I always felt that this fulfilled Perrin being there twice to save Rand.

Is the second time Perrin has to be near Rand not atop Dragonmount? I mean, what other purpose would there be to bring Perrin there? And Perrin felt he needed to watch.

Agreed. I always felt that this fulfilled Perrin being there twice to save Rand.

Don't see how Perrin being there saved Rand. I see Perrin being drawn there the same reason the wolves were, because it was an incredibly momentous event. However they were all there just as observers, nothing Perrin did or didn't do or even his absence would have altered Rand from having his epiphany.

As for the purpose of Perrin's hammer, don't see why it needs more of a purpose than simply providing him with a cool weapon and an even cooler scene of him forging it. If it's only purpose is to tear through trollocs as opposed to say the only weapon that could defeat Fain I'd be content.

Don't see how Perrin being there saved Rand. I see Perrin being drawn there the same reason the wolves were, because it was an incredibly momentous event. However they were all there just as observers, nothing Perrin did or didn't do or even his absence would have altered Rand from having his epiphany.

Who says Perrin has to do something? He just "has to be near".

Who says Perrin has to do something? He just "has to be near".

Seems very anti climatic if Perrin just needs to be in the vicinity. Does Rand not reach the same conclusion he does without Perrin's moral support?

Seems very anti climatic if Perrin just needs to be in the vicinity. Does Rand not reach the same conclusion he does without Perrin's moral support?

Well, Rand was paritally projected to TAR, so part of him was accessible for Perrin's will power. And Perrin was trying to affect Rand while watching him.

And yes, the Min's viewing says that Perrin just need to be there, not that he needs to do something.

As for the purpose of Perrin's hammer, don't see why it needs more of a purpose than simply providing him with a cool weapon and an even cooler scene of him forging it. If it's only purpose is to tear through trollocs as opposed to say the only weapon that could defeat Fain I'd be content.

The idea is not that it's the only weapon that can kill Fain, it's that the those same special properties that burn Shadowspawn, could also repel Mash. Without Mash and his Illusions, Fain is vulnerable.

I'm thinking Perrin's power-wrought weapon will have more properties and have more importance than being good at smashing Trollocs. Look at how important Mat's Ashandarei was to tie up a plot thread, the way out of ToG, so I'm thinking Perrin's hammer will be similar in it's importance to the story. Just basing that on them both being taveren.

Archived