DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How will the WoT community survive after AMoL is published?

AegisArcana

For the longest time I have been wondering how to expand and give more life to the WoT series. If we as a community came together with Brandon Sanderson and his associates to make a sort of encyclopedia detailing the magic system in these books then that alone may make it more likely to be made into a movie, a video game, or have more books written by other Authors as well.

Just think, we could make whatever we want with the Wheel of Time, as long as it is consistent and plausible!

Who says that the Wheel of Time is really a wheel at all? Is that just a popular term people used for something nobody has known about for more than 3000 years? It could be that there really is no wheel but just the Pattern itself.

Maybe Ages don't need to repeat themselves.

These are the sort of questions I want to answer. We as a community would need to answer them, debate ideas, and create a universe so that it is expandable long into the future.

How do you make certain types of weaves? Is it intuitive? Can we make some sort of guide book, like recipes or instruction lists? Like, this weave goes on top of that weave, this in that there and around this here, et cetera.

If we as a community gave the WoT this level of detail we would ensure its survival long past the publishing of the last book, A Memory of Light. Game studios could latch onto our creativity and movie designers would love the detail we could make in a Universe. Just think of the possibilities!

I think I speak for all of us when I say I want the WoT to live on long after the publication of the last book. Lets start a movement here and get the Wheel rolling!

It is a daunting task, but together we can create something magnificent!

(Also, check out my blog when you get the chance. It is on this website somewhere) :aessedai:

There's going to be outrigger novels staring mat and more short stories in the vein of New Spring. There's already been one WoT video game and another being made. There are WoT comics and graphic novels. WoT isn't going anywhere for awhile. Eventually, someone will turn it into a movie or a TV show and that will increase the popularity even more.

There's going to be outrigger novels staring mat and more short stories in the vein of New Spring. There's already been one WoT video game and another being made. There are WoT comics and graphic novels. WoT isn't going anywhere for awhile. Eventually, someone will turn it into a movie or a TV show and that will increase the popularity even more.

The outriggers and the two remaining prequels are in no way confirmed. Harriet has the final say, and she does not want to decide anything until AMoL is done, possibly not until after the encyclopdia is done (planned to be released roughly 1 year after AMoL). And of course, even if Harriet says ok, there is the matter of Brandon having his own books to write, so these would have to be squeezed in inbetween his Stormlight Archive novels.

For games, movie, comic books, check this board, http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/forum/203-the-wheel-of-time-in-other-media/

I have a feeling that AMoL will leave enough open plotlines and mysteries that people will still be here talking about them for a while.

But after that...

And I don't think there will be RAFO's (or, more correctly, RANFO's), they will just answer the questions, because we'll never know otherwise.

I have a feeling that AMoL will leave enough open plotlines and mysteries that people will still be here talking about them for a while.

But after that...

And I don't think there will be RAFO's (or, more correctly, RANFO's), they will just answer the questions, because we'll never know otherwise.

RJ stated several times that he intended to leave a number of smaller mysteries unresolved, so that the world of WOT would still be alive after the final book. And Brandon has said that he intends to fully respect this.

Star Trek has hundreds of sites devoted to every line of dialogue of every episode, and movies. Tolkien sites still

argue over every nuance of meaning and symbolism. I imagine it will be the same way here; not everyone will be convinced you or me are right and will do their best to argue that we oughta see things their way. :biggrin:

Guest Czechs In The M'Hael

As long as it's not fanfictions.

Agreed. Which pretty much outrules writing in the WoT universe.

I might be slapped for this, but here goes: I've always thought that a book of short stories/novellas surrounding the AOL and LB respectively would be interesting. Each story could be written about a specific event or built around a specific major character, like "Strike at Shayol Gul".

This will significantly reduce the time strain on the author and will hopefully give us the snippets of information we crave. If Harriet gave the go-ahead for further books this idea would also suit Brandon's preference for working on a book or two set on a certain world, and then working on something else for a while.

Thoughts?

I might be slapped for this, but here goes: I've always thought that a book of short stories/novellas surrounding the AOL and LB respectively would be interesting. Each story could be written about a specific event or built around a specific major character, like "Strike at Shayol Gul".

This will significantly reduce the time strain on the author and will hopefully give us the snippets of information we crave. If Harriet gave the go-ahead for further books this idea would also suit Brandon's preference for working on a book or two set on a certain world, and then working on something else for a while.

Thoughts?

We know RJ didn't think there was any purpose to writing stories set in the AOL. While it is a long shot the only real possibility for more books are the two other prequels:

"The second prequel was to be the story of how Tam al'Thor found baby Rand on Dragonmount and returned to the Two Rivers. The third was to be the story of how Moiraine and Lan arrived at the Two Rivers just in the nick of time"

and outriggers:

"Robert Jordan said that he had an idea that might lead to another two or three novels set in the Wheel of Time world. These would be "outrigger" stories, not a part of the main storyline. He said he had to think about them and flesh out the idea for a couple of years before deciding whether or not they would be worth writing. Later, in his blog, he hinted that the story would be about Mat and Tuon in Seanchan after the Last Battle."

Anything beyond these would run counter to RJ's wishes. He was very clear that this would never be a "shared world" situation. The likely hood for the above happening is very slim I would think. To my knowledge there aren't any serious notes or outlines for either set.

Archived