DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Preferred Pets

mb

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of pet do you generally prefer?

i voted cats because i have kitty cats and i love them very much.

i was always a "dog person" when i was younger. i grew up with at least one big dog in the house for protection. when i grew up, i lived with a guy who raised german shepherds, and we had 15 adults. when i left i took my favorite puppy. my friends had already rescued his older brother from a bad adoption.

after my bam bam died, i couldn't face another dog. too much grief and guilt. and after a while, i couldn't physically care for dogs anymore. too much walking and heavy lifting.

i always used to think i didn't like cats, but it turned out i just didn't know any. i finally adopted two kitties and they have smothered me with love and easily met demands ever since. they're small enough for me to take care of, and i don't have to walk them. there's just the litter box to deal with, but it's nothing compared to a kennel full of shepherd droppings. . . i was told that i'd be able to leave the cats alone overnight now and then, but that was a flat out lie. my cats are needy, and will not let me abandon them for longer than a work day.

as for other companion animals, i love everything but birds. birds make me nervous with their fragility. i think goats are very underrated as pets. they're super friendly, and funny. they do tend to be accident prone, but still. sweet critters. and they mow the lawn.

i guess that was more than you asked. sorry. it's an area of interest. :blush:

Dragon is certaintly a reptile, all be it the best reptile ever!!! :laugh:

i voted cats. i have two dogs & a cat right now, and i have to say i certiantly favor the cat. he's my baby. not nearly as needy as the dogs for attention and doesn't get on my nerves near as bad. don't get me wrong, i love my puppy's ... but the cat has a specail place.

i used to be a dog person as well, until i got a Chow Chow, which anyone who has had one of these dogs knows their more cat than dog. after Max, i discovered my breed of dog is definately Chows, and now any dog thats not a Chow just seems to needy and demanding honestly.

another reason i chose Cats is because it's less maintence and less cost. like Cindy says you don't have to walk them, and soonlg as theres a mouse to play with and food in their dish the cats are fine. they don't need you to play with them, when they want love they come and get it but their not constantly under your feet needing attentiona nd panting the entire time or scratching or sniffing or making some other noise. did i mention that their quiet? and excellent at keeping bugs out of the house ...

another pet i'd vote for after cats is rodents. rats are awesome pets, as are ferrets and guini pigs.

• 1 month later...

Definite dog person. Cats have too much attitude and generally run from me no matter how nice I am to them. I guess I scare them. It is true, a dog is a man's best friend.

Are you an Asha'man in disguise? :biggrin:

I like dogs, but the world would be a sad place without horses.

Hear Hear!!!

I voted dogs and other (for horses)

Thee most definitely should be a horse option here.. what can I say, it's my ultimate passion!

I have a cattle dog (Terror), an ex-racehorse (Luscious) and a few orphaned calves that I've adopted.

Future plans are to obtain a fair size property and take in and rehabilitate traumatised/abused/abandoned animals, mostly horses.

Having worked in the Horse Racing industry I know how many ex-racehorses are put down either at the end of their careers or due to injuries that prevent them racing again.

I would love to take them in and find loving homes for them. (that is if I can let them go!)

Definite dog person. Cats have too much attitude and generally run from me no matter how nice I am to them. I guess I scare them. It is true, a dog is a man's best friend.

Are you an Asha'man in disguise? :biggrin:

I like dogs, but the world would be a sad place without horses.

Hear Hear!!!

I voted dogs and other (for horses)

Thee most definitely should be a horse option here.. what can I say, it's my ultimate passion!

I have a cattle dog (Terror), an ex-racehorse (Luscious) and a few orphaned calves that I've adopted.

Future plans are to obtain a fair size property and take in and rehabilitate traumatised/abused/abandoned animals, mostly horses.

Having worked in the Horse Racing industry I know how many ex-racehorses are put down either at the end of their careers or due to injuries that prevent them racing again.

I would love to take them in and find loving homes for them. (that is if I can let them go!)

Take a bow my friend, take a mighty big bow. Horses are magnificent animals and the way some (probably most) are treated in the Horse Racing industry is disgusting. But then again we(mankind as a species) tend to treat the vast majority of animals disgustingly bad, but I won't start a debate lol.

Take a bow my friend, take a mighty big bow. Horses are magnificent animals and the way some (probably most) are treated in the Horse Racing industry is disgusting. But then again we(mankind as a species) tend to treat the vast majority of animals disgustingly bad, but I won't start a debate lol.

Haha! Thank you.

Animals are the exact opposite of humans. If they lash out at you, they have a reason, usually repressed memories of a past traumatic event. Nothing with them is illogical or outright spiteful. They do not hurt you just for the sake of it.

Humans, for the most part, I can't deal with. (there are exceptions, so please nobody take offense.) Like you said, as a whole, the way mankind treats animals is beyond disgusting. Made worse by the fact that some animals, particularly dogs, will still love despite abuse.

I shall also try my hardest not to begin debating (good job so far I know!), it's a subject I feel very srongly about.

I did enjoy my time in the racing industry, most of the people were disgusting, but I enjoyed it for the horses. I just love Thoroughbreds, the power, the majesty and the sheer, proud life in them! I hated the majority of the treatmet they got. They are looked at as if machines instead of living, breathing beings with feelings.

I got attatched to te ones that were labelled dangerous and crazy. All the ones I strapped and cared for fell into that category. I personally felt that as if by working there I could make some small difference to those horses lives.

And I am going to stop now. :biggrin: I tend to go a little over the top and natter on endlessly when talking about these things! :tongue:

I'm definitely a dog guy. I never had any cats but have been around quite a few(friends, family). I don't dislike cats but I just prefer dogs. I have nearly always had a pound mutt. They have always been well behaved and didn't cause any trouble with digging or chewing up stuff or an of that.

Completely agree. I also don't dislike them but I love the companionship of a dog. They just want to be around you and would follow you to the end of the Earth. Whereas a cat, yeah it's cute and funny and playful as a kitten but once they grow up, well they're too self-sufficient for me. Too independant.

SamVimes put it quite well.

must be something i'm doing that makes them so clingy and needy and snuggly forever...

one great thing i remember about dogs that kittehs don;t do - they don't clean up dropped food. i really miss that when i'm cooking.

also, not such good protection, and they don't provide you the extended personal space a good big dog can.

but i love my little fuzzies.

I think my current dog may be part cat as she is not as under foot as some of the others were. she will come and sit next to you on the floor and give love but is just as content laying across the room chillin'. She doesn't mooch as much as most of the others did either. She is only really into trying to get chicken.

On the other hand... kittehs don't stare at you when your eating, drool and puppy-dog-eye you into sharing with them. lol

But I'm a huge softy and I love my big, over-excited, forever starving mutt so much that I always end up sharing.

Lol, she does sound cat like! My Terror could probably stand to take a leaf or two out of her book, as much as I love the lil horror he just will not stay away, he even has to come into the bathroo with me. :biggrin: Might be okif he was a little lapdog, but he's a big, boof-headed cattle dog!

My family has had both dogs and cats throughout the years; currently 1 cat and 2 dogs.

I generally have liked cats more than dogs; partly because cats are more quiet, also partly because cat's fur have felt better to me.

Archived