DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is a character...

Shimmer

...that you hated at first and then liked them later in the series, or vice versa?

I personally hated Nynaeve in tEotW but by tSR she was one of my favourite characters. On the other hand, I loved Egwene in tEotW but from tGH it all started going downhill.

So, what about you?

:aessedai:

Guest Emu on the Loose

Nyn is the classic example for me, too. She annoyed me at first, then eventually became one of my favorite characters. It didn't take long, really. By TSR I was coming around.

I don't think I ever hated anyone only to later like them or vice versa, but I did find Nynaeve to be a little annoying in the first book, now though she is one of my favourites. Egwene, though I never disliked her, was a character who constantly grew on me each book until the awesomeness of The Gathering Storm. She then kind of dropped a notch in Towers of Midnight.

I didnt like Galad at first. I dont mind him now. Although the ToM arc with Perrin seemed a bit dragged out, but I like where Galad is going.

I really liked Perrin at first, but not so much any more. He bores me. I can understand why his arc is the way it is, I just dont like much of it. Up until Fires of Heaven he rocked, especially when he had the animal rage, and I liked the axe vs hammer sideplot (cant remember when that paid off now) but after that... Im not really interested any more. He feels like a secondary character trying to fill a main character slot.

I once hated Nynaeve and liked Egwene.

I've now switched - Nynaeve is one of my favorite female characters and Egwene is my least favorite character.

Ditto to the above. I also like Julian and Hurin- both underused in m opinion.

I always loved Nynaeve and always disliked Egwene, and my feelings for both of them have only intensified as the story progressed.

Lan, on the other hand...I kind of liked him and first, but after Moiraine died, I started loathing him for being a craphead to Nynaeve. Save for a couple of scenes - like the ones at the Royal Palace in Caemlyn, where we can see that he cares for Nynaeve - he's been a poor excuse for a husband. I blame the author(s) for that. He had potential as a character, but that potential was wasted by turning him into another mindless drone of a man.

Another one I flip-flopped on is Damer. I liked him a lot in the beginning, but now I wish he'd go die. He's nothing but another mindless Aes Sedai lapdog, who would turn on Rand in a heartbeat if his leash holder ordered it.

Faile had the opposite effect on me. When she was first introduced, I didn't really like her, but now I like her character and understand her better. She's one of the few female characters in the series that I actually enjoy now.

My opinion of several characters has changed throughout the series. In fact, Moiraine, Verin, Nynaeve, and Birgitte are the few that I've consistently loved the whole series. Verin rocks!!!

I hated Egwene in the first books. As time went on, I grew to really like her... and leading up to the last few books, I grew to love her character, though my liking took a dip over her treatment of Gawyn. He doesn't have much dignity as it is... don't erase his last thread just to make sure he can be the lapdog you need for a husband.

Matt is similar, though I didn't hate him at first... I just didn't have much use for him. But his time "protecting" the girls and falling in love(or something :wink: ) with Tuon really changed my opinion of him. Now I love to read about him.

I related most to Perrin during the first of the series... but his mishandling of Berelain grew tiresome for me. However... in the last few books he's rocking it again, and I loved it when he was able to put Egwene in her place with a few tips in Tel'aran'rhiod!!

I often find Elayne annoying... especially moody, pregnant Elayne... but I wouldn't call it hate, because I often like her, too.

I know Rand is central to the story... but I'm really more interested in everyone around him.

Edsel

Nynaeve and Mat are actually very similar characters too, when you think about it. It is therefore interesting that they went from annoying to fan favorites. Although Mat was much more abrupt. He went from childish and pointless --> an annoying crazy jerk burden on poor Rand --> freaking bamf Odin Son of Battles Guy in pretty abrupt shifts. Until his healing he was really lousy, but then he woke up and and immediately was an awesome PoV ("Play the angles like da said") and also immediately beat up these two awful princes. Was that the first POV we had of him? I think it was. I don't think were in his head pre-healing.

Faille is a darkfriend...of this I am VERY sure. IMHO perrin would have been far better off with Berelain. I admit ive always liked berelain more but then im a sucker for a female character that can be both sensual and powerful without losing touch with reality i.e. doesnt become a super slut or go on a long drawn out power trip.

Egwene has been oddly never an annoyance for me. after the last book though I felt as if she had come full circle and truly come into her own. Nyn just annoyed the living hell out of me till she finally all but drowned. when she finally learned to let go of everything and let something else have control for a bit she became a real character for me.

Mat was "meh" at first, but now I love reading his parts. In contrast, Perrin was pretty consistently meh. Well, actually in some of the earlier books, he was pretty good and enjoyable to read about, but he fell flat in later books and now his chapters are so tedious to get through.

I've never hated Egwene. I liked her a bit in the first few books, and after a while she just got "old". I didn't care much for her parts then, but they were never bad in my opinion. Then, with KoD and TGS, I came to like her again. So far in Towers, she's been decent at best.

Moiraine. I liked her up until Fires of Heaven, but she was dreadful* in Lord of Chaos through The Gathering Storm. :(

*Dreadfully missed, that is.

Nynaeve and Mat were my two least favorite characters in TEOTW. Mat became my favorite character in TDR. Nynaeve became one of my favorite characters sometime in the second half of the series.

I initially enjoyed Rand, but as his madness progressed, I enjoyed his POVs less and less. Consequently, I never disliked Cadsuane.

I've always disliked Egwene, Elayne, and Gawyn.

Until recently, I disliked Faile. But she's shown the potential for character growth, so now I'm on the fence.

I don't lean one way or another with Perrin.

Disliked and now like:

I'm probably with the majority in disliking Nynaeve early on, but she got progressively better as the series went on.

The really interesting thing is when I re-read the series knowing what is to come for the characters and how I feel about them as I re-read. At first, I didn't like TDR because I was rather attached to Rand as a character and he was barely in it and up to that point I'd found Perrin to be a little on the boring side. However, during my re-reads I enjoyed the book much further as I'd grown to like Perrin.

Cadsuane on the other hand, I've never liked. She just never made sense to me as her plan to teach Rand laughter & tears... well constantly provoking him just doesn't seem to be the way to get that done. I don't see how that plan would work with anyone. I can certainly understand her being firm and showing him that she wasn't intimidated, but constantly pushing his buttons was just dumb. I'm OK with her now that Rand-Therin Sedai has gently put her in her place.

Like and now dislike:

Egwene: I liked her early on and sympathized with her when she squabled with Nyneave. I liked her when she was training with the Aeil. As soon as she became Amrlyn she just nose dived. That discussion has been beaten to death though.

Elayne: I liked her early on. She seemed very down to earth for someone who was the heir to what is probably the strongest nation. Now... well I don't necessarily dislike her but I did find her succession "war" to be pretty boring. That and when thinking about her... for such a powerful channeler she never really did anything bad-assed like Nyneave or Egwene. On top of that, every time she's tried she's gotten her butt whooped: Ebou Dar cache fight, going after darkfriends in caemlyn, impersonating Mesaana.

Archived