DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Renalie's Arrival

Winter Mist

If Aldar had any doubts to the child's identity, her introduction banished all of them. "I'm looking to get out of this place. I came to see my father and when I found him it caused a big argument so I'm going home before I can get shouted at again." Wiping a hand across her face, the child added, "He doesn't want me here." Aldar managed to keep his face straight and not betray his emotions, but he was mentally laughing in amazed shock. Child, if you could have seen your father tear out of this office about ten minutes ago, you would change your tune. The words seemed to bring back the harsh emotions that she must have only just overcome, and the girl spent a short time trying to calm herself before speaking again. "I need to get to the stables. Will you take me there?"

Taking a clean handkerchief from one of his pockets, Aldar offered it to the child, setting it on the corner of the desk before speaking. "The stables? Well, since it is quite obvious that the Commander isn't here, it should be safe to leave the desk unattended for a little bit." If she's asking for directions to the stables, then she doesn't know her way around the Citadel. Besides, I owe the commander at least this. Standing to his full height of five-and-a-half feet tall, Aldar took only his belt knife and cane, which he leaned heavily upon as he limped out from behind the desk.

Seeing the look on the girl's face, Aldar smiled and said, "Old injury. I would have been dead but for the commander. 'Course, he was just a sergeant then, and me a dumb private. Took a nasty cut across the ribs to save me that left him barely able to use his left arm for a month. The man may be rough at times, but he'll put his life on the line for anybody." Smiling a bit as the first seed took, Aldar limped to the door and opened it for the child. "We'll have to take it slow, but I'll get you where you need to be, and maybe teach you some stuff about the place while we go."

Waiting for the child to catch up, Aldar turned and limped down the street... in the opposite direction of the stables.

-Aldar Gesparion

~Renalie~

Mama will be happy to see me. It’ll be worth being told off as long as I get a cuddle! The man was talking to her as they walked, going on about this and that and leaning heavily on a cane. An old wound that was not worse thanks to the Commander, whoever he was! He must’ve been very brave though, taking a cut across the ribs like that … Renalie rubbed at her side surreptitiously, thinking back to the time she had tripped over and had cut open her hand on a piece of glass. That had been so painful she had cried, not even a soothing kiss from mama had been able to make the hurt go away. Renalie was impressed at his bravery. What worried her though was the fact that she didn’t recognise any of her surroundings. Her legs hurt, and she wanted to sit down. Even though she had spent all that time cramped in the wagon, her knees felt stiff and she was so tired. Tired of not knowing if she was wanted or loved … she wanted to go to sleep. The familiar words of the lullaby she knew came to mind almost like a talisman against the tears she knew would threaten.

“Hey now, hush now,

Dry your eyes my dear.

I am watching over you:

Never should you fear.â€

Her mother had a lovely voice. Renalie remembered her singing while she prepared dinner for the two of them back in Murandy, trying to join in with her girlish soprano in the places she knew. Her mother would ruffle her hair affectionately and tell her that Renalie would have all the boys chasing after such a beautiful girl as her, particularly one with such a lovely voice. Maybe if she sang to her father, he’d fall under her spell like in the stories and let her stay. No, she doubted that the old stone-faced man would melt at the sound of her voice. Renalie vowed she’d be better off far away. I want a family!

Sullenly, Renalie trudged along behind the man through the streets. This seemed to be taking forever! Finally bored, she asked the question she had been meaning to ask for a long time, but couldn’t.

“What’s he like?â€

Despite the Commander's height and unique garb, he was quite adept at disappearing when somebody was looking for him. Aldar sighed as he glanced into yet another side alley and not finding his quarry. The Citadel wasn't even complete yet, and it was already displaying some labyrinthine qualities. If she sticks around, I pity the Commander when he has to go find her. As he started off again, the child spoke for the first time since leaving the office. "What's he like?"

Aldar smiled quietly, looking for someplace to sit. The first seeds he had planted had blossomed. The child was obviously tired, and Aldar's leg was beginning to get sore. Spotting a wagon parked outside one of the nearby barracks, Aldar limped to the back of the wagon and sat down, offering the child a spot on the other side. "I can't keep up with you anymore," Aldar grinned as he made himself comfortable.

"What's the Commander like?" Aldar said as the child made herself comfortable. "He is a good man, but nobody ever gets to see it. His job is stressful, and when he's on duty, he can't afford to be human. However, whenever he's not working, there isn't a better man in the Band. He had never met me before, yet he jumped in front of that guy's killing blow before I got it." Stretching his leg out, Aldar massaged the back of his knee, where the man's blade had severed the tendons and ligaments. He had been lucky.

"He may be the Commander, but it wasn't a job that he wanted. That was no more evident then after Emond's Field." Aldar had been with him when they had found that tattered bullwhip and shattered saber. The man had not shed a tear there, but he looked haggard afterwards. "He's often said that if he felt that he could leave the Band, he would. However, I don't think he can. He's always believed in duty, and he can't leave because of it." Shrugging, Aldar said, "He's more or less trapped here."

Chuckling, he added, "I've been at the wrong end of his tongue on a couple occasions. If he doesn't know how to react to a situation, he can be a rotten cuss, but its almost never intentional. Maybe you'll have a chance to see him before you leave." Standing gingerly, Aldar tested his leg. It would hold up. Grinning at the child, he said, "Well, then, let's get going. We're getting closer to the stables now." It wasn't a lie. The had gone as far away from the stables as was possible inside the walls of the Citadel, and every step would only bring them closer.

-Aldar Gesparion

~Renalie~

Her eyes grew wider with each mention of what this commander was like. He must be brave indeed to have done all those things and not run away. I think I would have run away, if I were in his shoes. She made a face as she fell into step behind the guard. I bet he has big shoes. If I were in his shoes, I’d likely trip and fall over, not run away. I want to be like him though… This man was kind though. He had let her rest for a bit while he had eased the pressure on his leg, and now they were headed towards the stables so she could go home. Home. It seemed like it was so far away, and she was so tired. Her head started to loll to one side while she walked and it seemed like everything was getting a little blurred around the edges. Renalie hadn’t eaten much, so it must be the fact that she had not given herself enough energy.

They had walked for ever! Oh, when were they going to come to the stable? Renalie had seen all the little side streets and alleyways and really did not want to get lost in this place, but by the same token she was overwhelmed with a curious desire to go and explore them all. So many new places to go to and things to see! It was exciting, just like the stories. She could be the heroic daughter-heir that knew no fear, hiding from a wicked High Lord in a side street in a barrel or something. She could do that.

Did she really want to give up if this man was just difficult to get to know? After all, she had come all this way to see him, to find him and to find out what he was like, should she give up now just because he had said some things she didn’t like? Admittedly, she’d caused an argument and that lady had nearly killed her father because of her and made Renalie want to leave so her father wouldn’t be in danger, but she wanted to get to know him. What would she do about the lady though? Well, Renalie reasoned, that when she grew up, she could protect her father from him.

“Sir, could we see the Commander please? Before I go I’d like to see him.†She smiled her most winsome smile, and took his hand, looking up with big green eyes that shone slightly with sincerity.

Out of everything that Aldar expected, the smaller hand slipping into his own calloused hand was not one of them. "Sir, could we see the Commander, please? Before I go I'd like to see him." Aldar took his attention from the road to focus on the young girl. She was smiling as winningly as she possibly could, he guessed, her eyes sparkling despite the obvious amount of tiredness that he was showing. Light, if the Commander can say 'no' to a face like that, he has no heart!

Returning the smile, Aldar said, "I don't see why not. We'd have to find him first, but-" A large, black hat stepping into the stables cut off Aldar's reply. He looked up the street to double-check, and was rewarded with the sight of the Commander stepping into the building's more shady interior. It's about bloody time, Aldar thought wryly. "You'll never believe this. I just saw the Commander go into the stable, so that'll take care of that errand, too." His smile never fading, Aldar set off again, mindful of the child's tiredness, yet anxious to catch the Commander while he was still in the stables. As he walked, Aldar added, "By the way, just call me Aldar. Only the lower ranks here call me 'sir.'"

Another five minutes saw the two outside the stables. Running his hand over his long, black hair, Aldar felt hesitant to confront the Commander. Not only was he away from his station, he was with the man's daughter. No telling how he would react. Ah, forget it. With a shake of his head, Aldar called into the relative darkness of the stable, "Hey, Commander! I've got someone out here who wants to see you." The light difference was enough that Aldar couldn't make out any details of the man's features, but he could tell that he was turning around...

Common sense dictated that Renalie would return to the stables, so that was where Mehrin had headed right away. It had been about two hours since Renalie had fled the mess hall, leaving Mehrin more confused than he'd ever been. Standing outside, waiting for her to appear, Mehrin surprised himself. He discovered that he was becoming more and more worried about his missing daughter as the minutes ticked by. He didn't know why; he knew he didn't love her, though he knew that the potential was there. He felt a... connection with her, though, as if she were a link to a far happier time in his life. Then why do you want her to leave? a voice in Mehrin's mind asked him. And Mehrin couldn't answer it.

In an effort to escape the harsh sunlight, Mehrin stepped into the shade of the stables. The dim light also allowed him to show his emotions where none could see. Here, his worry became less hidden and more apparent. Leaning against a post, Mehrin put a hand over his forehead, partially to force the tears in his eyes to stay put, partially against the headache that had formed out of the mix of emotions and alcohol withdrawal. Light, if anything happened to her, he would never forgive himself.

"Hey, Commander!" Captain Gesparion's voice cut through Mehrin's melancholy, bringing a modicum of amusement to him. The man's insistance upon using his title was rooted in some longstanding joke, Mehrin was sure. He remembered that day at Bandar Eban. The man had been a fresh recruit and placed under Mehrin's command. He had fought well, but the Seanchan had been too many for him, and he went down from a cut to the back of his knee, and had never walked quite right again. "I've got someone out here who wants to see you."

Shaking his head as he turned, Mehrin called back, "I've told you time and again not to call me that! Do it again, and I'll have you running laps around the Citadel until I get tired!" The bright light outside made it difficult for him to make out Aldar's features though the cane was a dead giveaway. Absently, Mehrin thought about the rapier-like blade that was hidden within the cane and felt a brief stab of pity for the man who thought of Aldar as a defenseless cripple. Then his eyes fell upon the small silhouette standing next to him, and all sense of discretion seemed to flee.

A few long strides were enough to bring Mehrin close enough to his daughter to lift her into the air and hug her tightly. Sparing a quick glance at Aldar, he saw that the man was smiling happily. Returning the smile, Mehrin whispered to the child held closely to his chest, "You may not believe this, but I was worried sick about you."

~Renalie~

Had she ever thought that Daddy smelt? It was wonderful! She couldn’t breathe properly but that was the least of her worries as Daddy had been worried about her! He cared enough to do that! Maybe now he’d consider moving back to the small house Renalie shared with her mother in Lugard now… No, Renalie couldn’t see that happening. Such an important man, and so brave; he wouldn’t want to leave these people behind without someone as important as himself to protect them. He couldn’t leave any more than Renalie could leave now that she knew he was a good man. Her mind flew ahead to thoughts of being tucked in and being sang bedtime stories, his usually stern face breaking into a smile. Ah, if only he would smile at her…

Renalie’s mind was confused now. She didn’t try to squirm free from her father’s embrace and she thought she could feel that nice old soldier man that had brought her here, the one with the gammy leg, smiling at the pair of them. She was still confused though, as to whether she should stay with her Daddy or whether she should go back to her mother. Was everything going to be different now he had worried about her, or would it go back to being as it had been, with that nasty woman who had nearly killed him? She didn’t know what to do. It made her cling tighter to his neck, burying her face into his chest and trying to make the moment last as long as possible before having to decide. Renalie was tired, and after not having eaten much of her meal, she was hungry, wanting something sweet to eat like a cake before sleeping. A honey-cake, perhaps, or one of the lemon cakes she loved, and then to be tucked up in a proper bed instead of being curled up under the chair of that wagon. Stowaways didn’t have to be comfortable. Now, she was someone’s daughter – Mehrin’s daughter, and she wanted to sleep in a big bed.

Mama would understand. Renalie would sit down in the morning, she felt so sleepy, and write a letter in her girlish handwriting and ask Daddy to send it back to her and let her know that her daughter was safe and would return in a few weeks after seeing her father. She wouldn’t mention the dangerous parts, like when that strange lady had tried to kill them or the bumpy and perilous journey across country. No. She’d just say she was safe and that she would be home soon. It would be nice to see her mother’s face when Renalie told her of her finding Mehrin. She smiled into his chest and then surprised herself by yawning loudly.

“Daddy, I’m sorry.†She clung to Mehrin tiredly, taking in how his strong fingers stroked her hair gently. “I’m sorry I caused all this trouble.†She really meant it. If Renalie hadn’t been so tired, she might have answered differently, but all she wanted now was to sleep. She yawned again. “This man here, this nice man … Aldar, he’s been so kind…†Another yawn cracked her jaws. “I want to go sleep…â€

As he held his yawning daughter, a strange emotion seemed to come over Mehrin. An emotion that he hadn't felt in quite some time: happiness. Muscles in his face that he had forgotten about began to work again, bringing back his long-forgotten smile. Even the long scar over his eye couldn't diminish the obvious joy on his face. His eyes flickered to Aldar for a moment. The man was standing there, proud as a peacock, a large grin plastered onto his face. Setting off at a slow pace, Mehrin walked out of the stables and towards his room, a smile still on his lips. He was sure that such an alien expression on his face, coupled with the young girl in his arms, would start many a rumor, but those would be easily quelled. None of it mattered, anyhow.

Mehrin's room, though far from large and immaculate, was servicable. The bed was one of the largest in the Citadel, meaning that there was enough room for Mehrin with some room to spare, and not quite as full of lumps as others in the Citadel. Lifting up the blankets with his free hand, Mehrin gently laid his already-nodding daughter on the bed. Pulling the covers back over his daughter, he tried to tuck her in as best as he could before sliding his hand under the pillow to withdraw the large knife that he kept there. He'd have to find quarters for her somewhere nearby, not to mention getting her to one of the seamstresses in town in order to get some clothes made up for her. And then there was the matter of taking care of her while he worked. Light, who would have thought that having a child would be so difficult?

Moving away from the bed, Mehrin found himself wishing that he could actually sing a bit; his own voice sounded like somebody was stomping on an oversized frog. He knew a few lullabys, but they would be anything but soothing in his voice. Such an awkward thing, suddenly discovering that one is a parent. This morning, the only thing I was worried about was whether or not the Citadel would be able to withstand a sudden attack in its current state.

Is that so, Master Mahrvon? Is that really all that you cared about? that persistant voice in the back of Mehrin's mind muttered. Shaking his head, Mehrin tried to squash the thought. Just because the woman had... No! Light, why had the world chosen now to go insane?

A slight movement at the door caused Mehrin's head to whip around, the knife that he normally kept under his pillow in hand and ready. The shape slowly resolved into that of Aldar. Standing quietly, Mehrin tiptoed to where the man was standing. "I can't thank you enough for finding her and taking care of her, Aldar," Mehrin whispered.

The small man nodded slightly and replied, "It was my pleasure, Mehrin. I owed you that much, and more."

Smiling, Mehrin rested his hand on the man's shoulder. "You would have done the same for me, I know. You know, Renalie is rather fond of you."

"So that's her name, eh? She never mentioned it, and I didn't ask." With a shrug, Aldar added, "I couldn't see myself letting her wander through the Citadel alone. Some of the people here haven't left their more shady pasts very far behind."

Nodding thoughtfully, Mehrin replied, "I know. I also know that you're one of the few people in the Citadel that I trust. That is why I'm naming you as her bodyguard, with proper salary increase. And no arguments." Stepping past the surprised man, Mehrin said, "Guard her well. As much as I like you, if she comes to any harm, I'll kill you myself."

"Mehrin, if she comes to any harm on my watch, I'll do the job for you."

"Good. Now, if you'll pardon me, I have a letter to write."

Tapping the blotting sand back into its jar, Mehrin carefully read over what he had written. It would be the first contact that he had attempted with Ana since he had left Lugard all those years ago. He couldn't afford to sound the fool.

Dear Ana,

It has been ten years since I last saw you, yet you have always occupied a part of my mind. For the past ten years of my life, leaving you behind has always been my one regret, and one that has altered the way that my life has been lived. Since leaving you behind, I have never been truly happy, even as the intense love that I felt for you faded into fondness. I regret to tell you that I don't know if I could learn to love you again, but I can see a possibility for a better future.

You need not worry about our daughter, Renalie. She has somehow managed to find me. I'm so sorry that I wasn't there for you and her. I find myself with the opportunity to make it up to both of you, though.

My life has been one of violence and sadness for the past ten years. I am currently in command of the Band of the Red Hand. You may have heard of us; our Citadel lies near Lugard. What I am offering you, Renalie, and any of your surviving family is the opportunity to live in a place that is far safer than Lugard ever could be. If I could return to Lugard without being executed on sight, I would come for you myself. Since I cannot, I am sending this letter, along with 200 gold crowns, with one of the men under my command. He will ensure that you receive both, and that you travel safely to the Citadel, if you so wish.

I cannot begin to apologize for all the pain and heartache that I have caused to you and your family. I know that this money cannot bring back your father, or the years that I took from you, the happy life that you could have known. For that, I cannot be forgiven, I know, but I apologize nonetheless.

Light with you,

Mehrin

Sealing the letter, Mehrin rose and crept quietly to the lockbox next to his bed, careful not to wake the slumbering child in his bed. Inserting his key, the lock clicked quietly, allowing Mehrin access to what lay inside. Reverently moving aside a black leather sachel containing the shards of a broken sabre and a tattered bullwhip, Mehrin reached to the bottom of the chest and withdrew two large purses. Two hundred gold crowns. As the commander of the Band, he had access to all the funds that he would require, but it would not be right. It was his family; he would pay the debt himself.

Within a quarter-hour, a scout was galloping out of the Citadel and heading for the capitol of Murandy.