DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

we need a topic post that covers everything that has been covered before

does it make you laugh when   

9 members have voted

1. 1. when new ppl join does it make you laugh or shake your head when they dont look around first b4 they post stuff thats been covered b4

• does it irritate you
    • makes you laugh
    • or do you just shake your head

i think they're either honestly excited to be somewhere where they can finally ask some questions that have been nagging at them, and the search and look-through-all-the-threads thing is more of an advanced sort of boredom that hasn't come upon them yet.

or they are engaging in lighthearted trolling.

as i can't tell the difference, it doesn't bother me.

yah i can belive all the excitment about finding the site and joining up i know i just read the board for years b4 i ever joined or even posted. but a lot of times they are just posting things that have been covered that we know are wrong like the posts that have been confirmed by the creator aka mr jordan along the lines of demadrid and taim and all that jazz. just seems t me that a lil bit of searching really wouldnt be to much of a bore for ppl if they took the time to look its really not that hard to do hahahah im just weird that way cause i know me and i wouldnt want to post something that has been posted b4 so i dont look like a total fool but like i said thats just me to each there own

but i really do think that a general topic should have all the links to all the other posts that have been on each subject might make it a bit easier for new ppl to find them

I had this thought myself, but then I thought about it more. Honestly, what is it that you guys haven't discussed? I'm pretty sure every topic has been covered rather thoroughly. If nobody posted the things that have been discussed, nobody would post anything, and this site would just kind of become a database of conversations.

Search is your friend though. I'm in the middle of yet another re-read, and as I come up with new questions I've just been searching, and have answered my own questions that way. It's a little boring reading a conversation that has already taken place, and when you have something to add it's too late. The conversation is already over.

I don't say this to be snarky, just honest. If you see a title of a thread and think "oh god not this dead horse" don't open the thread.

It is very nice of you old skoolers to grace us newbies with your knowledge though!

Also people should use the "ask a simple question" thread a lot more. I think of this little kitty a lot when hanging out here...

nonewthread.gif

ROFLMAO!

Yah I feel that way sometimes over at the Social and RP sides when people ask the same ole questions that have already been asked and to which the answers are available in the pinned topics. Oh lord and when we first moved to DM8, and they did that at the Bugs Board *headdesk*.

But that's completely different from discussing things here and I agree with what Ryan said.

@He Who Comes With a Bong. I have a quote of the DO's and DONTS. Here it is:

DO use correct spelling and grammar. We're not Nazis, we won't freak out over a misplaced apostrophe or occasional typo. But make an effort to have your post be readable. Use the shift key and make paragraph breaks.

I don't see any use of the shift key in your messages. Also, I don't see any use of the full stop, which is also very useful to make a post readable. That is at least as important as not saying something already said. I more like to read something that is already said, than I like reading the comment of someone who doesn't use the shift and full stop key. I don't think many people have it otherwise. And, one last point, "b4" is also not very readable. Well, not for me. I have to think each time I read it.

Honestly, what is it that you guys haven't discussed? I'm pretty sure every topic has been covered rather thoroughly. If nobody posted the things that have been discussed, nobody would post anything, and this site would just kind of become a database of conversations.
agree with this ^^^, especially being a n00b here myself

maybe instead you guys should ask yourselves, is this still the right forum for me now that I've had / seen practically every conversation there is on this subject? I mean yes its an awfully big series but there's still an all-too-finite number of topics / questions / answers that can discussed... and personally I hate feeling self-conscious when I post knowing that many have probably said everything I'm saying long before I got here, and all the people with no lives who have made this forum their home have probably seen countless others say the same things and are going "ugh, this again?" maybe instead when you see repetition you could simply stop reading and move on with your free time? go outside...to the beach...for a walk...something...turn on the tele...you know a new season of curb just started? (lol) OR just respond with a link to the past thread(s) that address whatever the person's saying? would also work

I had this thought myself, but then I thought about it more. Honestly, what is it that you guys haven't discussed? I'm pretty sure every topic has been covered rather thoroughly. If nobody posted the things that have been discussed, nobody would post anything, and this site would just kind of become a database of conversations.

This.

The only problem is when people jump into active threads without reading them first.

For example, if someone says "Demandred = Taim" and the RJ quotes are dusted off and brought out, no one else should jump in later with "Demandred = Taim."

yes i stand by my not using periods most ppl can read short hand after all thats what i type and b4 in stead of before its far easier to read in ths day and age it doesnt bother me one bit that i dont use periods or commas or anything else along those lines i know im not the best speller so i choose not to if they really had a problem with it they would of told me way way way b4

so it doesnt bother me at all you can think what you want to but i know i can read it and most ppl can read it too

yes i stand by my not using periods most ppl can read short hand after all thats what i type and b4 in stead of before its far easier to read in ths day and age it doesnt bother me one bit that i dont use periods or commas or anything else along those lines i know im not the best speller so i choose not to if they really had a problem with it they would of told me way way way b4

so it doesnt bother me at all you can think what you want to but i know i can read it and most ppl can read it too

and also im not here to start somethign silly over proper grammar i was just stating that i think it is funny that we see all these things time and time again. look a period whooooo hooooo

I started about 3 weeks ago. My impressions:

1. The FAQ is not only outdated, most of the links don't work.

2. The "Ask a simple question" thread was over 150 pages long. I gave up trying to read through it by page 30, and I've read the entire WoT like 20 times.

3. People refer to the eWot and BWB that new people have never heard of and didn't know they contained acceptable answers. I did check all sticky links, but I didn't think wiki sites were reliable. In particular, those I did visit weren't updated for tGS and ToM.

4. Stickies vary in quality depending on which sub-forum it is in. The only way I found the eWot was by doing a full site seach. I still am finding links that were not in the stickies but mentioned in passing by other posters.

5. It is not clear, unless you've been here a while, whether someone is stating a fact or theory, which only adds to the confusion. Theories should never replace facts, but theories should use facts as support. It seems like some new people adopt theories as facts because long-time posters state them as facts.

My suggestions:

1. Required reading for new posters: stickies, the eWot FAQ, rules/behavior, abbreviations and an updated General Discussion FAQ.

2. An explanation about the additional materials available that are not part of the main series, e.g. New Spring, BWB, interviews, etc.

3. A separate sub-forum for theories and one for factual information. If the current sub-forum is already for that, I apologize, but it seems to be nearly inactive.

This sort of thing I think might be better::

a thread linking to just the "new" threads.

And when the newest thread about a topic becomes "old", it be removed from that thread.

"new" and "old" being determined by the moderators & administrators.

I voted laugh ,by the way:

Anywhoosle... I havent been here very long but it is a good idea to just DELETE your topic if its beat to death or is already done. Since I'm giving out advise (like I know something), I think some know-it-alls that tend to clog the threads should really abstain from stealing your thread, for example. Your thread is=Is Rand the Dragon and after cutting everyone down on your started forum, they start= The Dragon, Is it Rand? or something like that just to kill anyone from commenting on the thread you started. If your thread breaks down into an Egwene beat down or something you didnt want it to be just use that delete. I usually keep it lite and refrain from crying uhh I mean complaining but I'm just say'in :dry:

I was wrong, you can't delete your thread you make and futhermore I was being fairly pissy so ignore most of the above. :wink:

Around the release we do enforce a much stricter 'no duplicate threads policy', beyond that we will shut down a thread if there are two on the same topic active, and the rules do list a request to look around before posting.

But yeah, it happens, if it gets too obnoxious I step in, but otherwise let it play out.

1. The FAQ is not only outdated, most of the links don't work.

I didn't know that, I'll look into it when I get a spare moment.

2. The "Ask a simple question" thread was over 150 pages long. I gave up trying to read through it by page 30, and I've read the entire WoT like 20 times.

Generally speaking, that thread is there to provide a place for you to ask a question. It's not intended to be read in full, and most questions get repeated. I prefer repeated questions than repeated threads.

3. People refer to the eWot and BWB that new people have never heard of and didn't know they contained acceptable answers. I did check all sticky links, but I didn't think wiki sites were reliable. In particular, those I did visit weren't updated for tGS and ToM.

There is a list of fan abbreviations in a topic stuck at the top of the board.. It's the one that says 'fan abbreviations' and 'all read'.

4. Stickies vary in quality depending on which sub-forum it is in. The only way I found the eWot was by doing a full site seach. I still am finding links that were not in the stickies but mentioned in passing by other posters.

There is a link to the eWoT in the thread that says 'Online Resources' stuck at the top of the board. It also is an 'All Read' Thread.

That being said I will be looking at the links sometime soon.

5. It is not clear, unless you've been here a while, whether someone is stating a fact or theory, which only adds to the confusion. Theories should never replace facts, but theories should use facts as support. It seems like some new people adopt theories as facts because long-time posters state them as facts.

That I cannot help with. So long as people are people they'll be stating something they simply believe as fact. It's up to you guys to ask questions, and figure out what's what.

1. Required reading for new posters: stickies, the eWot FAQ, rules/behavior, abbreviations and an updated General Discussion FAQ.

You mean like the two threads stuck at the top of the boards with the listing of 'All Read'?

2. An explanation about the additional materials available that are not part of the main series, e.g. New Spring, BWB, interviews, etc.

There is a stuck interviews listing for ones myself or dragonmount have conducted, and there is a link to Terez's interview database, as well many of the source websites stuck at the top of the board. There is also the books section of dragonmount (one of the main tabs) which contains detailed information on the Wheel of Time franchise as a whole, including what you are asking for.

3. A separate sub-forum for theories and one for factual information. If the current sub-forum is already for that, I apologize, but it seems to be nearly inactive.

Again it's a no on this. It's simply not viable.

Also, if I see any more attacks on peoples spelling or grammar or anything of the sort, I'm locking this thread. :)

Archived