DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

KoD Questions from a newbie to the forums

Ciete

Hello all, 2nd post ever but as time allows you know I'm drawn back to WoT!! Anyways after rereading KoD again (lost count of how many times)...I have a question on an obsquire subject and was looking for theories/answers...

Can we assume the effect of the weapon Asne uses to capture Elayne & the other Aes Sedai in "House on Full Moon Street" the same web that Seta and the other former Suldam use on the Aes Sedai when they 1st channel?

Any takers?? Thx

Ciete :twisted:

The weapon Asne uses was describes by RJ as a "miniature version" of a shock lance. Like, if a shock lance is a rifle, Asne's weapon would be a pistol. Or something like that. Point is, it's an energy discharge weapon.

Actually Robert, theoretically they could be the same effect.

Both involve the incitation of electrons into movement around a third party with the specific purpose of knocking them down. In both cases the target loses saidar (indeed, my guess is that this is utilized by the Seanchan specifically in catching marath'damane). Both involve the creation of an effect that in and of itself is not the power (Asne says she could use the shocklance in a streetfull of sisters and no one would know what was going on, and Joline uses that weave on Mat despite the ter'angreal). And finally in description (sparks etc) they both match.

Obviously it isn't solid fact, but there is a strong case to be made for the idea.

The original question was whether or not we could assume that they were "the same web". I take the word "web" to mean a weave of the Power. The weapon is never described as a ter'angreal, and Elayne and company don't feel the Power being used. It seems to be an object of technology, independent of the Power. Therefore, although the effects are similar enough to be, in effect, identical, the mini-shocklance is not the "same web" used by the former sul'dam.

If the word "web" in the question isn't intended to mean what I think it means, then I am wrong.

and Joline uses that weave on Mat despite the ter'angreal).

I'm not doubting you, Luckers, as I know you've read the books more times than I have, and you know the story better than I do, but I don't remember that part at all. I remember the suldam using that weave on Joline, but I don't recall her using it on Mat. Would you point me towards that part in the book so that I can re-read it and refresh my memory? Thanks. :)

Joline uses a series of weaves on Mat testing the ter'angreal over the course of a couple of days, including throwing rocks at him. One of those weaves is one that had 'sparks dancing all over his skin'. This is directly following Joline commenting on how strange the weave was, and that she had never seen it before. If memory serves, it's in Chapter 9... the Short Path, or maybe the shortest path. I'm sorry, i dont have KoD on me at the moment.

Robert, got ya.

got ya in the sense that i understand your position. The effect is the same, to my mind, but produced in two very different ways. The incitation of electrons into movement can be achieved many ways--you just need something to give them energy... sunlight, electromagnetism, or the One Power... whichever.

That being siad, it is possble that the shocklance uses saidin and thats why it was undetectable by sisters...

Archived