DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Same souls always forsaken?

Gordar

Just a silly question which has little or no consequence to the story AFAIK.

Would the souls of the Forsaken become the forsaken ever 2nd age or could it theoretically be possible that every channeler could have been a Forsaken somewhere in a previous/future 2nd & 3rd age?

Well there are few enough souls who's past we do have, Rand as the Dragon being one, Birgitte and the Heros being the rest. (There may be others, i forget).

So we know from the prologue to tEotW we know the Dragon has always been the same soul. The Heros have always been the same, whether summoned or born.

I think the Souls of the Forsaken would have to be the same. They are main players in the Pattern, just as the Dragon and the Heros are.

Except.....BALEFIRE. Does this not destroy the soul? I had the impression that being burned from the pattern meant that you could not be used again in the Pattern.

According to Wot wikia that's true anyway (hangs head in shame).

Just a silly question which has little or no consequence to the story AFAIK.

Would the souls of the Forsaken become the forsaken ever 2nd age or could it theoretically be possible that every channeler could have been a Forsaken somewhere in a previous/future 2nd & 3rd age?

There is no reason to believe that the same souls are reborn as Forsaken all the time and no way to check.

Except.....BALEFIRE. Does this not destroy the soul? I had the impression that being burned from the pattern meant that you could not be used again in the Pattern.

According to Wot wikia that's true anyway (hangs head in shame).

no, balefire does nothing to the soul and a balefired person can be reborn normally. BS confirmed that in interviews.

According to Ishy, his soul was also bound to the pattern and is reborn every age to face the Dragon. However, it is highly unlikely that DF souls join the HotH. So far, we haven't seen the DF counterpart of the HotH, although it was implied in books 1-2 that DF's could use the horn and call the HotH.

Guest Emu on the Loose

Interesting question. I suppose we'd have to wait for BS to chime in on this. But if all the same souls are the "big players" for both Light and Shadow with each turning of the Wheel, then, as with other predetermination models of theology, it raises all the usual logical and ethical problems about what the deity in charge of creating the world (i.e., the Creator) could have had in mind. Why create people to be anything less than excellent?

According to Ishy, his soul was also bound to the pattern and is reborn every age to face the Dragon.

Yes, good point but Ishy is special. He is the DO's champion just like the Dragon is the Creator's champion. It's possible that he served the DO in the past lives as he claims. Although it's not clear how he'd know that. he doesn't remember his past lives.

But there is no reason to believe that any of the other Forsaken had similar roles in their past lives.

However, it is highly unlikely that DF souls join the HotH. So far, we haven't seen the DF counterpart of the HotH, although it was implied in books 1-2 that DF's could use the horn and call the HotH.

Heroes of the Horn and ta'veren are self-correcting mechanisms of the Wheel of time. It would make no sense for the Pattern to use Darkfriends for that purpose as they work for the DO who wants to destroy the Pattern. RJ confirmed that in interviews.

I would say no. If the sould is bound to always be tied to the DO, that takes away "redemption" and I think RJ has used redemption too much to totally limit it from some. Just take a look at one of the mantra's from the series, about no one being too far in the shadow to walk in the light (paraphrasing here).

Heck, I don't think that even Ishameal is too far gone to come back to the light. In fact that may be the way the Light triumphs. Just as the Dark One is tried to sway Rand, perhaps the same is true of the Light swaying Ishamael. Maybe he'll pull a Darth Vader.

A soul's alliance I take is not fixed.

A considerable amount of Light sided characters seem to believe in rebirth; that seems to imply all people's souls get reborn.

Balefire only prevents the Dark One from resurrecting; never from being reborn.

Archived