DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Warder Cloaks

Ok so how does a Warder get his cloak? Is there a master cloak maker somewhere who makes these things? How does he qualify for the cloak anyway? Maybe once he is bonded and considered an official Warder he has permission to wear one. Possibly his AS puts in a request somewhere for a cloak for her Warder.

I would think with all of the Warders going down in the novels you'd have those who would take the cloak off of the corpse and use it for their own ends. I am also wondering why someone doesn't make a whole set of clothes with the color shifting material? You'd be almost invisible with the hood up, just a face floating around. Insignificant things like this come to me sometimes out of nowhere, please forgive me. :biggrin:

The cloaks are made by a ter'angreal in the White Tower. And while noone in the 3rd age seems to have gotten the idea to dress completely in it, Moridin does it in ACOS, when he spies on Sammael and Graendal. Oh, and the material is called fancloth.

Good point. You would thing some people in the books (non Warders) would have access to the material after killing Warders and then it would be a really high priced item that some very few soldiers/warriors/assassins would have or something. Let's not forget though, while RJ did think of a TON of details, he couldn't have thought of everything. It is still a make-believe world. I could see this as a real issue if the WoT world were actually based on a real world though. Cool idea.

The cloaks are made by a ter'angreal in the White Tower. And while noone in the 3rd age seems to have gotten the idea to dress completely in it, Moridin does it in ACOS, when he spies on Sammael and Graendal. Oh, and the material is called fancloth.

Hey thanks for that, it's all new info to me.

I'd hazard a guess that the reason we don't see ordinary folk dressed in fancloth is also the reason no sane woman would wear a great serpent ring if she didn't earn it. They all fear the Tower.

Not only the Tower. What do you think a whitecloak would think if he saw some bloke walking around wearing a warders cloak?

But there are always people, collectors, professional thieves/assassins etc who could use them even at the risk of death. It's not like they would have to display them out in the open or anything...

But then again, maybe some assassins do use such cloaks, but we're just never shown any who do. D:

Also remember that when you aren't in crazy dangerous time, most of the time Warder's just aren't going to be killed in battle. Most will just die in their sleep after a long service, because people don't attack AS.

Whitecloaks might just destroy the cloaks anyway, because they think anything to do with the One Power is "evil".

But I think that very few people would even be able to get their hands on a cloak, since Warders are like the best of the best. And seeing as most of the fighters in Randland have a very strong view on what honor is, they'd probably not take the cloak either, since it would show "disrespect" to the Warder.

Whitecloaks might just destroy the cloaks anyway, because they think anything to do with the One Power is "evil".

But I think that very few people would even be able to get their hands on a cloak, since Warders are like the best of the best. And seeing as most of the fighters in Randland have a very strong view on what honor is, they'd probably not take the cloak either, since it would show "disrespect" to the Warder.

I wouldnt say most fighters, those of the southlands have questionable honour

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that Warder cloaks are actually quite inferior to the fancloth that Moridin used and that was seen in Rand's pillar trip? Warder cloaks are always described as shifting colors of green, gray, and brown that 'occasionally' blends into the background, while the material described as fancloth actually appears to render the wearer 'invisible'.

Of course, it could just be me.

its because mordin's clothing was just that clothing, and probably very nicely tailored stuff at that, so there would be no edges to be seen or wind be able to move freely, also he was stalking them so if one looked in his direction he would stop and be motionless. also when a warder is standing still ( and the wind is not whipping the cloak around)it fades right into the background.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that Warder cloaks are actually quite inferior to the fancloth that Moridin used and that was seen in Rand's pillar trip? Warder cloaks are always described as shifting colors of green, gray, and brown that 'occasionally' blends into the background, while the material described as fancloth actually appears to render the wearer 'invisible'.

Wait. I don't remember Moridin wearing camouflage. When was that?

Wait. I don't remember Moridin wearing camouflage. When was that?

When he spies on Sammael and Graendal meeting with the Shaido (ACOS, Ch 20).

Before the terangreal was made, I imagine fancloth was made by channeling. Not entirely certain.

Whether or not the terangreal requires channeling, do not know.

Another clothing type in this series (streith) I imagine was also made by channeling.

Do not know whether or not there is/was a terangreal for that.

Another clothing type in this series (streith) I imagine was also made by channeling.

Do not know whether or not there is/was a terangreal for that.

Well, we do know the Forsaken can't make more streith themselves. It might be that they just don't have the Talent, but I'm leaning toward it requiring the use of a ter'angreal.

The Forsaken cannot make streith, where was that told?

Look at Mesaana's PoV from LoC prologue. Graendal had to find streith for her dress, according to her.

Later, Graendal confirmed that she did in fact find the streith in a statis box, but she was saying that out loud (and to Sammael, LoC23), so this is suspect.

Archived