DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Would you approach the series differently now that...

BigWill

...all the books are available?

I ask that because I am currently half way through my first read of TSR and I can't stop now. BUT I was wondering if you guys would approach the series differently having all the books laid out in front of me like I do. Perhaps take a break after the first 6 or 8? Idk, right now I plan to devour them as quickly as possible haha.

As you mention, when I hit TSR I kinda got sucked in and before I knew it had I had read all 13 books in less than a month. I would personally say, read all of 'em in a row, lots of details in each book that you will forget, and the longer you wait the more you forget.

I had all the books laid out (minus 11, 12, and 13) when i first started the series. I bought 1-10 in mass market paperback and artistically covered the covers in colored duct tape (since the dt holds the books together better for rereads) and just seeing those ten books in a row was a big motivator to read them with no breaks. when gathering storm came out it motivated me to read faster so i could catch up. i can see that many books of that size intimidating people (anyone i have ever tried to get to read the series).. but to me, it was a bigger motivator. im not going to have to say goodbye to these characters any time soon.

i picked up book 1, read it, loved it, bought 3 more on my next payday, read 'em, loved 'em, done same again next payday..... u get the picture. put book 13 down and picked up book 1 and started all over again!! just smash ur way thru them all!!

Iirc, I had to wait years between books 6-9. I purposely stopped because I didn't want to wait anymore (plus the horrible pacing.)

I think the "forbidden apple" nature made them more appealing. If all the books where available back then, I wouldn't have read them half as often.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that i didnt find COT nearly as bad on my reread as i did the first time i read it. I guess i would be similar for you, when you know there is alot of books ahead that are waiting for you to read them, you dont get so irritated at the slow parts of the series.

CoT was horribly received by the masses. Waiting 2 years after Winters Heart and getting Cot and waiting 2 MORE years for Knife of Dreams made people upset just because of the pacing and what did (and didn't) happen. I happened to read up through KoD at one time with The Gathering Storm being released 3 months later. I REALLY liked CoT and thought TPoD was ho-hum. I wouldn't listen to the critics about the strengths and weaknesses of the books as people prefer different things. I was geared up for a let up in CoT and was pleasantly surprised. I would say just keep a clear head about it.

i didnt find CoT and KoD as bad as they are said to b,most likely because all the books up to book 13 had been released by the time i started my 1st read. only had a wait of about 4 weeks for book 13 by the time i got that far in the series ;)

In my first time through, the only books of the series in front of me were my current book and the ones I read.

Furthest I read is Gathering Storm.

Current time through, read through Shadow Rising Chapter 37. This is my second time through.

Archived