DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lanfear or Fain?

In the Great Hunt, when Rand and Loail are being chased through the foregate by trollocs, has it ever been confirmed if they are Fain's trollocs looking for the Horn or if they were brought in by Lanfear to goad Rand.

Presumably, they were Fain's. Otherwise it's a pretty huge coincidence that the inn caught fire at the exact same time.

Edit: Oops. I thought you meant the waygates, not the foregate.

Yes, those are Fain's. They were part of his party that took the horn from Tear. It may be possible that some of Lanfear's trollocs (that were protecting Rand) went with him, but by the time they were on the road, they were taken over by Fain.

it was fains trollocs, he had his human DF's using them as 'puppets' in the more crowded areas, then let htem loose once people wherent around.

he had control over them because he killed the fade in a rather spectacular way the scared the bejesus out of the trollocs, and the one thing that grants control of trollocs is fear

Thats what I thought the first few times through, but on my last re-read it seems that the trollocs are there to simple goad Rand and push him where Lanfear wants him to go. The inn was not burned until the next day, when Intgar and company show up.

Thats what I thought the first few times through, but on my last re-read it seems that the trollocs are there to simple goad Rand and push him where Lanfear wants him to go. The inn was not burned until the next day, when Intgar and company show up.

Lanfear's appearance in the middle of the chase is certainly very suspicious but what do you think would Lanfear goad Rand into doing? It's not clear what exactly she would be after here. Fain had a very clear motive and an opportunity. Goading Rand into something she wanted him to do sounds really amorphous in Lanfear's case. what exactly was that something and how would it help her to send the Trollocs to chase Rand around town?

Throughout the entire book Lanfear is trying to get Rand to channel. She brings them to the Portal Stone world and gives him the choice of destroying all of the grolms, channelling, or bringing them home, channelling. How the chase unfolds seems to be Lanfear trying to force Rand to channel again.

Throughout the entire book Lanfear is trying to get Rand to channel. She brings them to the Portal Stone world and gives him the choice of destroying all of the grolms, channelling, or bringing them home, channelling. How the chase unfolds seems to be Lanfear trying to force Rand to channel again.

ok, that's a good reason. You could be right. I reread the relevant scenes and it hard to say for certain. I think RJ likely left it ambiguous intentionally. He did it with a number of other issues in TGH, more so than in most other books of the series. BTW, that includes the question of who brought Rand, Loial and Hurin to the portal world. It was probably Lanfear as you suggest because of the dream Egwene had where she saw Lanfear do it but the description of the trip itself is left pretty vague and certainly creates an impression that it might have been Rand who did it, albeit unintentionally.

Archived