DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why no archers

something that has been bugging me for a long time about this series. Why are there no trolloc archers? It doesn't take a whole lot of brains to shoot a bow, they have the numbers for it, and it would make more sense than the stock "run at the enemy until all of you die, or break through them.

i had forgotten about perrin and mishima being attacked by trolloc archers, even if they are rare, one would assume they would be used more often than a couple attacks in earlier books

As Luckers said, not only does archery take years to practice (not as much for crossbows) it also takes discipline, something the trollocs are not good with. Killing from afar is also at odds with their nature.

Trollocs don't have the discipline to be an effective Archery brigade. Look at the Band's crossbowmen or Perrin's archers. They fire as one. So with Trollocs you will have individual archers, maybe even all having bows and they use them when they can, but because of their bloodlust they prefer to close. The only way it might work is if a Myradral were linked to the trollocs and forced them to work as one.

i had forgotten about perrin and mishima being attacked by trolloc archers, even if they are rare, one would assume they would be used more often than a couple attacks in earlier books

As Luckers said, not only does archery take years to practice (not as much for crossbows) it also takes discipline, something the trollocs are not good with. Killing from afar is also at odds with their nature.

hell, when they even had catapults they still didn't wanna kill from afar.

why use flaming rocks when you can use flyer-troops

Maybe the Trollocs used crossbows? I would have to check back with the scene where Perrin was shot, but usually crossbow bolts are thicker, shorter, and heavier than arrows. I think there was a recent scene where somebody had a one handed double crossbow, which is probably what I would imagine the trollocs using.

Archived