DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Awesomeness That Is Verin Sedai

I've known for a while now that Verin is Black Ajah. When I first heard she had a big moment in TGS, my first guess was, actually, that she was Black Ajah, but not a typical Black sister. Anyways, I went on to guess she'd be giving out names of other Black sisters. I didn't quite know how that would work out, as the Black Ajah is organized into "hearts", so as to preserve the identities of its many members. Anyways, my guesses were right, and I had, perhaps mostly unintentionally, read some comments about this prior to reaching that part of TGS. But today, finally, after three or so weeks of reading TGS, I've reached that glorious chapter where Verin drops in. And it gave me chills. By far the greatest surprise/twist since at least Lord of Chaos, and maybe even since Moiraine "died" in Fires of Heaven. Verin's shining moment was even better than I could have hoped for, with her whole death mapped out perfectly to the last hour of her life. I had a feeling that she would die once she revealed her information, but I didn't know quite how it was going to go about.

Now, every time I read the books, whenever Verin comes in I'll appreciate her even more. Previously, she had been an alright character, but I always saw her overshadowed by Moiraine and later Cadsuane. Now she's definitely one of the greatest characters in the series. I'm absolutely reeling from that chapter. I shall have to reread and reread it again. It's one of the greatest moments in the entire series.

For some reason, I wasn't surprised when Sheriam was revealed to be Black in the chapter when she meets with Mesaana. Maybe because Alviarin was Black. Makes sense.

The big clue about Sheriam was when the Gray Man tried to kill Nyn/Eg (or was it El?) and they had a "found a quarter moment."

Yeah, but I didn't really read into it there. In fact, I've not really read into her character much at all. She's really mostly just been one of those "there" characters, not really important. I didn't actually know she was Black Ajah until we got the perspective from her discussing "the Chosen" and her fear of Halima, and then Mesaana came, which by the way was pretty dumb of Mesaana. I like Mesaana because she's rather mysterious, but why did she go to a sister in the rebel base to get Egwene killed when Egwene's in the freaking Tower!?

I thought for sure Verin would reveal the identity of Mesaana. I don't know why I did, I just figured that since Mesaana will get defeated a couple chapters later, her Aes Sedai persona would have been revealed. I keep reading the description of every sister who's introduced, looking for a blue-eyed one, and only Meidani came to mind, but I know she's not Mesaana. I think I read that Mesaana's Aes Sedai persona was of the Brown Ajah, when Alviarin recognized her after Shaidar Haran pulls them both out of the White Tower in CoT. But of course Verin wouldn't have had the benefit of getting to see who Mesaana is because Mesaana always has that enchanting silver, black, and white Illusion. I love her voice of chimes.

I always quite liked Verin, she was definitely one of my favourite AS, and one of my favourite characters overall. But really, her last scene? Piles and piles of epic awesome. As I have said, she calmly walks into the Tower, tells Egwene she is Black Ajah, that she has managed to collect most of the names of the Black Ajah, and that she is going to die now. She fooled the Black Ajah, who knows how many other Darkfriends, kept her work secret all these years. All done calmly, with a cup of tea in hand. She is carved out of the purest of awesome. Had she not handed over the list of Black Ajah, then Egwene (or whoever else the Tower might have elected in her place) might very well have been overthrown like Siuan, killed by assassins, or found herself simply unable to function due to the chaos the Black Ajah was causing, especially given that Sheriam would likely have ended up back in a position of authority.

Don't get me wrong, Moiraine and Cadsuane have had their awesome moments. But really, for me, they were both spectacularly outshone by Verin. In fact, I think pretty much all the other AS, my beloved Nynaeve included, got eclipsed for me in that scene ^^ I love Verin.

Moiraine = Verin > Cadsuane

However, Verin would've tipped the scale if her choices affected the rest of the world more directly.

This is also how I see it. I've always enjoyed Moiraine, who was probably my favorite character in the first few books, along with Thom and Lanfear. Prior to Verin's awesome moment in TGS, I would have ranked them as Moiraine > Cadsuane > Verin, but now I put Verin equal to Moiraine. I noticed a striking similarity in the way both go, too, or what they do before they go. Moiraine leaves Rand with a letter much in the same way Verin gives Mat a letter, both women knowing that when their recipients read them they will be dead.

I'd put it on par with Moiraine's, but Moiraine didn't actually die, so Verin's takes the cake. Moiraine's "death" made me more upset, though, as I had been more attached to her for a longer period of time. Verin's awesomeness just came out of nowhere, from being a minor character who knows a bit too much to suddenly being a minor character who's freakin' awesome.

I can't argue that her death scene was amazing, but I have a hard time thinking of her as a light dark friend. We still have one more book and she could have set things in motion a long time ago that are going to blow up in everyone's faces. She was good about that kind of thing.

I would give up entire series of familiar fantasy in exchange for just the chapter "Tea With Verin", as I would for the scenes of the Tower standing. Verin and Cadsuane were so riveting for many for so long because one could not be sure of their motives till fairly late. And with Verin one momentarily seems to have been wrong only to be proved spectacularly right.

But, I personally do not see the personalities as minor and major characters, but as people who are all just individual persons tyring to make their way in the world, some of whom struggle through to make minor or major contribution, like all of us in our lives. I let their lives unfold, as they fight each moment against the momentous events of these last days, some succeeding, some failing. Any may die in the end, and some may be content to.

Um, she had to commit suicide to be able to give the information. "I will not betray the Great Lord until the last hour of my death", or something like that. She betrayed him, so she had to die, and I imagine suicide would be better off than whatever treatment the Chosen or any of the Black Ajah sisters would give her, or, more likely, whatever ramifications the oaths she took to the Great Lord would have on her in that last hour.

Um, she had to commit suicide to be able to give the information. "I will not betray the Great Lord until the last hour of my death", or something like that. She betrayed him, so she had to die, and I imagine suicide would be better off than whatever treatment the Chosen or any of the Black Ajah sisters would give her, or, more likely, whatever ramifications the oaths she took to the Great Lord would have on her in that last hour.

I am not saying she didnt have to commit suicide. I am just saying that the act and how it was committed ruined it for me, plus the fact that Verin will never get the credit she deserves (in WoTverse) irks me.

besides right now she would be tortured until she was spun out again by the DO

All spinning out I take to be done by the Wheel/Pattern, not by the Dark One.

The only things the Dark One can do with souls I take to be these:

-transmigrate them

-make them into ghosts

There might have been a chance of she repenting in that last hour and might be a chance of she becoming a Hero at death.

About not getting the credit she deserves, good actions often lack full credit.

At least Egwene seems to credit her.

Archived