DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Approved BotRH Bio for Rolan Bretteny - CC'd by Freelanders

Taymist

(FL Bio Checker: CC required just to be sure you're aware of the reference to the gleewoman since she's named.)

DM Handle: Delrian

Character Name: Rolan Bretteny

Nationality: Andoran

Physical Description: Rolan is a fair haired, fair skinned Andoran. He has blond hair, blue eyes, stand 5'9" and weighs 165 lbs. Youthful looking even for his age. His chin length blond hair and perpetual foppish grin give him a boyish charm, which is augmented by his lack of a need to shave and occassional skin blemish. Rolan is not a large man by any means, but has broad shoulders and strong legs. Rolan is handsome, despite a somewhat soft chin, but not remarkably so. Indeed many women would find him immature with his boyish looks and the gleam of mischief in his eyes, though some might see a handsome man with a perchant for humor in the making.

Personality: Rolan is cheerful and energetic. He is optimistic to the point of delusion. He will tell you he is the greatest swordsman and storyteller of all time, and even if you beat him, he will just make a grand story of it. He can be somewhat flighty and has a somewhat short attention span, but can be fanatically determined when he sets his mind to something.

He can be somewhat of a pest, and has a very difficult time knowing when to keep his mouth shut. He is also a sucker for a pretty face, and is as likely to flirt with a Queen or an Aes Sedai as a barmaid, but is equally likely to run for the hills at the mention of the m-word (marriage).

Character History:

Rolan comes from a farming family living on a small plot a few days' ride north of Four Kings, near the Caralain Grass. With two older brothers and two younger sisters, he learned to make an art of shirking chores to run off of adventures common to many youths, and it seemed no amount of doses of the strap could dissuade him. He did learn to use a sling without striking himself in the head, if barely, and how to use a bow, even if not neccessarily how to hit the broad side of a barn.

On this sixteenth summer, Rolan went to Caemlyn to work for his uncle, who ran a modest yet successful knife sharpening business. He showed a deft hand for it, but Rolan was filled with a wanderlust and a craving for adventure. He used his meagre savings to travel to Tar Valon, hoping to become a Warder, or a Bard, or perhaps a Warder Bard; an idea which he grew more attached to the more he considered it, but got only as far as a small town on the edge of the Braem Wood before he was robbed and his horse was stolen, forcing him to walk back to Caemlyn, offering to help farmers for meals and to catch rides when he could.

It was a miserable time for young Rolan, and yet he found creative ways to wield it into a tale of chivalry. 'Well, you see, I met this young woman on the road to Tar Valon, and as it turns out, she was Aes Sedai you see. She was on a secret mission for the Amyrlin Seat or whatever and had lost her Warder to boot, poor thing. Of course I gave her my horse and all the gold I had and decided to head back to Caemlyn instead. After all, what would Caemlyn do without me?'

Returning to Caemlyn, Rolan returned to the knife sharpening shop, and over the next few years found work as a hawker, where his skills at oratory and embellishment were put to good use. At 19 he applied to the Queen's Guard, but the recruiters showed disdain for his lack of discipline and foppish manner, and laughed him out with hardly a care for his martial skill, which was admittedly poor. "Jealous sons of fish and goats! Who needs them?!'

With that he spent a few more months saving and planned to set off once more to Tar Valon when he met up with a Gleewoman named Naira Vitare, who was amused by the lad and agreed to let him travel with her and her apprentices and perhaps teach him some of the trade. She would come to regret the decision somewhat, as Rolan proved quite inept at juggling and music and barely passable at tumbling. While he could in fact spin a good tale, and seemed to pick up a sliver or two of Low Chant, he told only humorous stories such as Mara and the Three Wise Kings and tales of his own exploits, which while meant to be dramatic, often drew just as many laughs.

In any event, he proved quite unfit to be a Gleeman, and Naira was happy to be rid of him at Tar Valon, where he imagined he would dazzle the Warder recruiters with his prowess and have them beg him to join. However, all he managed to do was to prove a man can trip over his own practice sword if inept enough, and make enough of a pest of himself that they paid a caravan to take him back to Caemlyn just to be rid of him.

Back at Caemlyn, Rolan was tipping back a half pint at the Queen's Blessing (as the barmaids had quickly learned that was about all he could keep down) when he heard about an army that travelled the lands fighting evils of all sorts; reknowned for their drinking, gambling and revellry.

Deciding that there was no way a bunch of drinking carousing louts could dare turn away a Warrior Poet and Legend in the making, Rolan sold the few belongings he had left and struck out south, hoping to at last find the adventure he craved.

Edited by keyholder21

Lucky! You caught me right as I was heading to bed.

Sounds good to me! I love the flaws that you've given the character - it gives him a 'real' feeling.

I look forward to reading more about him soon!