DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Lessa Nikia

WT/DM June Class Field Trip

Yay! You found the field trip thread. Ask the Browns any questions you have and get to know them. Remember you must post here to get your credit. And not just a "Hi" post, something with content. Enjoy!

Edited by Lessa Nikia

In the books, the Brown are the historians. As a history major IRL, I loved (and still do love) history. If I do not join the Brown Ajah, would I be able to hold a class at some point on something history-related in the Brown?

Hi Korryn. I love me some history too. My dad was a history professor here at the College of Charleston (I'm from Charleston, SC, RJ's hometown), and I was raised listening to stories from history since the cradle. And I'm a huge fan of the Brown, mainly for the reason that my fav AS of all time, sneaky Verin, was a Brown. And the whole idea that they were leaving their lifes work to the ones that followed them was exactly what my father had to say about the historians role. Browns rule!!

i've often related to browns in the books the most because i, like them, always have my nose in a book... and ink stains on my fingers.

are there bok discussions in the Brown? is it too late to join in the book challenge? or am i even allowed to?

Hey guys! Welcome to the Brown Ajah. *offers brownies*

How are you all doing? Enjoying your time in the WT/Warders so far? :smile:

Am many of you are actually Browns in RL?

Of all the Ajahs, I relate to the Browns the most, so yes, I would say I'm actually a Brown IRL. I'm even a librarian. :happy:

In the books, the Brown are the historians. As a history major IRL, I loved (and still do love) history. If I do not join the Brown Ajah, would I be able to hold a class at some point on something history-related in the Brown?

I like history too, but I don't have any formal education on the subject. I'd love to see discussions/classes on something history-related here. If you want it to count towards a raising requirement, make sure you run your idea by me and Adella/Fnorrl first. :smile:

Hi Korryn. I love me some history too. My dad was a history professor here at the College of Charleston (I'm from Charleston, SC, RJ's hometown), and I was raised listening to stories from history since the cradle. And I'm a huge fan of the Brown, mainly for the reason that my fav AS of all time, sneaky Verin, was a Brown. And the whole idea that they were leaving their lifes work to the ones that followed them was exactly what my father had to say about the historians role. Browns rule!!

Hey Ishmael. That's pretty cool that you live in RJ's hometown! :smile: And Verin is my favourite too!

i've often related to browns in the books the most because i, like them, always have my nose in a book... and ink stains on my fingers.

are there bok discussions in the Brown? is it too late to join in the book challenge? or am i even allowed to?

Yes, from time to time you'll find book discussions here. As a matter of fact, in the Book Challenge thread labeled "discussions" you can jump in and discuss books you've read. :smile: And no, it's not too late to join the challenge! And yes, you're allowed to! The more the merrier! :biggrin:

is it too late to join in the book challenge? or am i even allowed to?

I asked Raena the same yesterday. :biggrin:

Hi everyone!

What I want to know: In what aspects is the Brown Ajah here similiar to the one in the WoT? And where are the differences?

Yeah if i were to be an Aes Sedai, i'd either be Green or Brown. I most definately am reading, studying, or writing all the time. Kida why i don't fit in with the military guys i work with. I would love to have my own over stocked library. Never have to leave the house.

Because the browns have a bunch of questions in their pinned thread about reading before posting and I already did it. I am copying my answers from the thread I made to get to know the browns better. I hope this copying is alright as I already answered questions and honestly don't have time to type everything all over again. So here goes:

1. Your name or nickname: What should we call you? This is especially helpful if you have a long nick or one that is pretty impossible to say.

Mae will do.

2. Tell us about yourself! How long have you been reading the books? Where are you from? Anything that you're comfortable with sharing.

I've been reading the books for about 12 years now...since 1999. There was a gap of some years as I moved and lost the books I had. I have just restarted again this year...now on CoT.

I am from Westfield, Massachusetts, USA.

I do not work cause I am disabled. However I am looking for work about 3 to 4 hours a week to start with in secretarial field. I do a lot of secretarial jobs at my day treatment program that I go to. It keeps me busy during the day. I am also learning how to quilt. I am making my nephew a blanket made out of granny squares: 220 of them. He is 4 now. I figure he will get it when he is 18.

3. If you could only take 3 books to a desert island, which would you bring?

The Bible (KJV) and (NIV) then the last book in the WoT series whenever it comes out.

4. Where have you traveled? Tell us about your most interesting vacation experience!

I have traveled to the former Soviet Union in 1990. I was 17. Two events happened that changed my outlook on life:

1. We were walking on "Main" Street in Moscow and saw a food vendor selling steak and cheese grinders. I only had enough money on me to get a grinder, so I did. It was SPICY. I mean really spicy. Anyway I couldn't eat it so I threw it in the trash and continued walking. I just happened to look back and saw a little girl about 4 years old take it out of the trash and start eating it. She had a white dress on.

2. I was paired up with another teenager from Rostov-on-Don and went to his family's house for supper. What caught my attention was the fact that the grandparents, parents, and children all lived in this one little apartment. Also what was very touching was that the grandmother gave me the oldest granddaughters reading primer from when she first learned her alphabet.

5. What is the ultimate item on your Bucket list?

As for my bucket list: since this is a PG-13 SITE:

If you ever watched the OLDER VERSION of the newlywed game uhm.....have consensual whoopie with a husband I would hope. So maybe get married first. Though I will probably be 80 by the time I find someone and get married. I am 38 now. *sigh*

I hope this was PG-13. As I can't think of anyone younger than 30 who has ever heard of nevermind seen that TV show. And its the truth.

My question for the browns is: besides travelling what else do you like to do?

Hola, Browns!

As a guy who is contastly studying random crap, in a self taught "Hrmm thats interesting" fashion, I have an affinity to a life spent locked up researching. Also I write, so if I were not bound for the sword, this would be my home.

I know the browns arn't very spammy, and neither am I, but how does that bode with having actual fun here? I can only assume you gals keep coming back here, so what is it about the browns that makes it tick?

is it too late to join in the book challenge? or am i even allowed to?

I asked Raena the same yesterday. :biggrin:

Hi everyone!

What I want to know: In what aspects is the Brown Ajah here similiar to the one in the WoT? And where are the differences?

And I'm pleased that you joined. *makes a mental note to update the thread later*

That's such a difficult question for me to answer. We all have different interests, but I think most of us like to learn new things, like the Browns in the books. We love books, of course. I'm a librarian. :happy: As for differences, I would say that we're not as absent-minded as the Browns in the books are often thought to be. Though sometimes I am...

My question for the browns is: besides travelling what else do you like to do?

Again, thank you for the answers to our questions, Mae. I like getting to know more about the people here. :smile:

Do you mean what else we like to do here on DM or in the offline world? Here on DM: we like to discuss pretty much anything. The next event that's coming up is an event for the banned books week. Also, take a look around our board and you'll see the kinds of threads we've had.

In the offline world, I like to read, watch plane crash documentaries on TV, play with my dog, go horseback riding... and I like to be lazy.

Hola, Browns!

As a guy who is contastly studying random crap, in a self taught "Hrmm thats interesting" fashion, I have an affinity to a life spent locked up researching. Also I write, so if I were not bound for the sword, this would be my home.

I know the browns arn't very spammy, and neither am I, but how does that bode with having actual fun here? I can only assume you gals keep coming back here, so what is it about the browns that makes it tick?

Don't forget the boys. Majsju is an Aes Sedai and Senexx is our Accepted. :wink:

I don't think our dislike of spam means we can't have fun. I mean, our idea of fun isn't to post lots of random, irrelevant things (which is what I think of when I say spam). You don't always have to be dead serious when posting here. It depends on the thread, really. Take a look at our board and you'll get a feel for what we like to do here. :happy:

Hello! So my question is, here on DM and in the books how important is the role of the brown ajah? This is an opinion based question but I sometimes fell that the browns don't get alot of credit because it seems like they don't exactly "do" anything.