DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Olver Gaidal Cain?

mike c

Bridgette Always said Gaidal was much younger than her.

She also said she had not seen him for a while in TAR before she was torn out.

It is said both Gaidal and Olver are ugly.

Any thoughts?

This was a popular theory but unfortunately RJ has stated that Olver is not Gaidal Cain. Olver is around 10 years old and Gaidal only disappeared from TAR about a year ago. RJ said that times flows differently in TAR but it never runs backwards. I'm too tired to find the actual quote but this has been debunked.

Edit: Here is a link to Terez's WoT reference library where you can search answers RJ and Brandon have given during interviews amongst other info:

WoT reference library

Any thoughts?

This was a popular theory but unfortunately RJ has stated that Olver is not Gaidal Cain. Olver is around 10 years old and Gaidal only disappeared from TAR about a year ago. RJ said that times flows differently in TAR but it never runs backwards. I'm too tired to find the actual quote but this has been debunked.

Edit: Here is a link to Terez's WoT reference library where you can search answers RJ and Brandon have given during interviews amongst other info:

WoT reference library

Thank you. I have not done any research on these books other than reading them until now. It seemed like a plausible theory but if RJ denied it I guess that's that.

Any thoughts?

Gaidal is older than her, not younger.

This is why he was gone from TAR before she was torn out.

Just clearing that up.

Any thoughts?

Just clearing that up.

He had been spun out first yes, but as a baby, the proper way. She was torn out out afterwards but as a young adult. So he would technically be younger in body.

Any thoughts?

Just clearing that up.

He had been spun out first yes, but as a baby, the proper way. She was torn out out afterwards but as a young adult. So he would technically be younger in body.

Yes, but usually he would have been older had she not been torn out. This is in direct contrast with servant of all's comment: Bridgette Always said Gaidal was much younger than her.

From Min's viewings I assume that sometimes he is(/was/will be) younger than her other times older....

Personally I think that the 'ugly as a stump' child of one of the Ashaman (forget which one) is him... timeline fits as does the face supposedly

From Min's viewings I assume that sometimes he is(/was/will be) younger than her other times older....

Personally I think that the 'ugly as a stump' child of one of the Ashaman (forget which one) is him... timeline fits as does the face supposedly

I think that was one of Perrin's Ashaman. Grady I believe.

I think that was one of Perrin's Ashaman. Grady I believe.

No the timeline doesn't fit. Grady's kid is too old.

Any thoughts?

WoT reference library

Olver is at least 400 years old, 3400 if you count the years he had to spend at Shayol Ghul. It's pretty obvious he's Olvermandred.

j/k

Many past threads discussed this.

Birgitte younger than Gaidal-reborn in chronological sense and older in physical sense.

Oldest age (both chronologically and physically) for Gaidal-reborn would be several months.

From conception or birth? When is a soul reborn - or when does a person obtain a soul?

I still think stump boy is possible *shrugs* I dont think it would overly strain the timeline

The entire series takes place in less than 2 years, so Cain can't even be a toddler yet, which is the gist of the BS interview.

The only other possibility is that Cain was also somehow ripped from the pattern like Birgitte, so he's old enough now.

I'm fond of the idea of it being Grady's boy.

The real problem is Rand once saw Mrs. Grady with a boy that looked about four. But I say it's possible after all, we don't know how good a judge of ages Rand is, he was at a distance, the baby is suppose to be big for his age, and we don't even know that was her child. Maybe she was keeping an eye on someone else's child while her baby was napping.

Gadren Grady is his name and we are told they are often born with similar names... he is a baby (though big for his age) who is about as 'pretty as a stump'

Where is that? The part I think you are talking about is the Oscar/Ostier at Falme where they didn't say the name changed, the name changed as the story passed through history. Birgitte Silverbow, for example, is never named Birgitte Silverbow in her past memories, and Rand al'Thor and Lews Therin Telamon are almost as different as can be.

It was at the fall of falme when Rand mentions knowing many of them by -multiple- different names many of which were similar in pronunciation to their names of legend, interestingly Bridgette's known names seem nothing like Bridgette - Teadra, Joana, Maerion and Jethari which greatly weakens this assumption)

Archived