DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gawyn in EotW

Lily

I'm on my third way through the series and I came upon something I don't understand in EotW. In chapter 40, just after Rand falls in to the garden, he tells Elayne and Gawyn that he's from the Two Rivers (page 600 of the paperback). Gawyn is surprised, but quickly hides it and then starts babbling, causing both Elayne and Rand to stare. Galad shows up before Rand has much time to wonder about it. Does anyone know if there's any significance to this?

He's learnt about the Aiel as part of his training though so can recognise the traits - even though as can be seen through Elayne they're not always quite spot on. There's enough that he knows Rand isn't true Two Rivers stock.

Guest Fire Lord

It's possible he was babbling because he had recognized the Aiel in Rand, but I find that not a sufficient reason to babble.

It sounded to me as if Gawyn was not in full control of his mouth, so I thought it had to do with Rand being ta'vern starting to manifest itself, you've seen the effects on people, such as saying what they trully think when they would have rather kept their mouths shut.

Archived